Why did you start rping?

I role play to relief stress and to escape from a bad day.

Edited by mrscuddles

I started RPing over a decade ago to get myself to write more volume and improve my work.

I came back to RPing a couple months ago because COVID has made me real lonely, and I got in a writing funk again. It's been so great for me to talk to other folks and get writing again!

• Like 1

spacer.png

SITE BUZZ | DISCORD
OPENING 24 OCTOBER

• 2 months later...

I think I started roleplaying for escapism. I love writing, creating characters and diving into my own imagination. I've always found life hard for some reason, and disappearing into someone else's world is a comfort to me. I was also OBBESSED with Harry Potter (still am, really xD) and wanted to experience Hogwarts for myself LOL. The fact that there's a PS4/PS5 game coming out soon makes me believe my dreams are finally coming true! Although, I'm sort of nervous it won't live up to my expectations. xD

[center][URL=https://spideyrpg.proboards.com/]INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE: A MULTI-VERSE MARVEL/DC RPG[/URL]
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/785308193467269143/793175360685604884/SV-ad.jpg[/IMG][/center]

I  used to table top and a friend dragged me to MSN chat role play which lead to writing in their forums there. After about six months I was loved it. The only downside was that I really did not have the time to get involved in forums and admin and writing without chat role play until almost 2010. 

Its a release and a hobby that relaxes me. I have friends I write with and we enjoy the stories and the community. But it began with a roll of the die, truly

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

• 3 weeks later...

An old friend in school asked me to join a forum roleplay game she played on and then i have kept on writing through to years on and off. i didn't understand forum roleplaying at all when i started out, so i was very awful. now, i like to create characters and write as a leisure activity when i can.

NSD_affiliate_1.png

NSD - Never Say Die

an original, stylized, nonrealistic animal rp

Ok, so... Back in about 1998, I was on the lookout for something interactive online, but I didn't know what I was looking for... and then, I found Yahoo!Groups and a whole bunch of RPs that piqued my interest. I'd never heard of such a thing before, but wow -- did they ever suck me in!

user posted image  

Oh man, so old that I can't remember why I really started. I found a site on MSN and fell in love. A loveless site truth be told, and the people on that site all but drew me in. They made me wanna stay when I was just stalking and reading what they wrote. It was a fun experience!

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...

Started many many years ago with D&D when I was a kid. Slowly grew to many different genres

A fart is nothing but the lonely cry of an imprisoned turd.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I moved a lot as a child. And I mean a lot. To give you an idea my high school transcript was 5 pages long. So, moving as much as we did, it was hard for me to find friends who would stick around. For the most part I'd meet people, make friends, we'd move and eventually they'd...phase out. Only one friend ever stuck around through all of it and she is literally my best friend on this earth. RP was an easy way to make friends who I didn't have to leave. You turned on a computer and there they were! It was very comforting to a kid like me. 

I mean, I started cause it was fun. I was LARPing well into my teens, it's just never been something I stopped doing.  I got in deep into forum pbp in particular because I was severely bullied and got clinical depression very young. It definitely helped me have a steady social outlet during and after that time. Still does.

user posted image

It’s been a long time but I’m fairly sure it went something like: I saw people on Neopets doing it and I joined with a group — was terrible at it but realized I loved writing / storytelling— but have kept at.

Pretty simple actually. I always had an overactive imagination, kept thinking stupid stuff all the time. Loved comics and reading in general, and when I found play by post role-play in an unrelated medium, my curiosity got the better of me. Found a RP site that did it exclusively, and haven't looked back since. It gave me a creative outlet, and helped me explore so much that I feel I've become a better person for it. Putting myself in other people's shoes and whatnot. It's very valuable in that sense. At least it is so to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I started when I was very young, mostly by reading and making my own stories with play by play books. It was when my parents got a computer and the internet was new thing. That I had discovered roleplaying through Gaia online on their roleplay forums. Where I was hoooked, but my writing skills were meeeh not so great. lol I then then was told about Acornrack and Splefnet where I spent the majority of my free time on, until it was shut down. I have to say my mother was also a very supportive factor to me roleplaying; She knew it helped me cope, and also liked the community aspect when it came to like-minded people just wanting to write and be creative.