Why did you start rping?

4 hours ago, Claire said:

Ooooh good question Isa!

Right, so I first came online in 2004, true story, and I looked for final fantasy discussions and found my first RP site. It was like, the first site I saw after google, so I got hooked from thereon. It was like... "People actually write this stuff with each other? OMG, it's my favourite thing ever!" I'd written private fanfics but RPing appealed to me much more and I really liked forums.

My Claire! *cuddles*

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

muEzlN.jpg

It started with normal kid stuff, emphasizing actions with asterisks, and then developed into short sentences, and then paragraphs over time. I don't think I was really aware I was roleplaying until a year later when my antics got me a forum on an rpg and a fancy moderator position. That lasted a good four years while I snooped around other more official rp forums. Long story short here I am today, still clueless as ever but looking for a writers' rush.

...are we supposed to count journal trades? I did that as well in school, but at a much younger age.

• I read this! 1

• 1 month later...

I can't remember what possessed me. My cousin was the one who showed me Neopets so I could play games and get her money when she was babysitting me to keep me entertainted and cash in. Somewhere a long the line I got my own account and then drifted into the rp fourm area. 

I used to think [ORIGINALS ONLY] meant that they wanted like DANIEL RADCLIFFE to play Harry Potter. I was like ?? what ?? why

• I read this! 1

bdNwvS3.png

I was in middle school when I first started role playing. I was obsessed with this free backwater social MMO that I don't even know how I ever found (that's how un-professionally made and out-of-the-way it was), and of course everyone there loved to "RP." I had no idea what that was, but a friend asked me to do one with them, so I did. I sucked, but I'd already been writing for a few years so I sucked considerably less than some others. And I just got hooked.

As for why I role play, I like doing it because I'm very passionate about my writing and my imagination, and I enjoy spinning stories of lives that aren't my own. And connecting to people through role play is fun. No better reason than that.

• I read this! 1

Guest Crystal Wolf

Actually, i don't remember why I started to RP. It just happened one day and I stuck with it. Its pretty fun now that i know what im doing

• 1 month later...

I actually started to improve my writing. I've always enjoyed writing but felt like I needed to develop it, and RPing was a good way to do so without making a huge time commitment. 

• I read this! 2

• 4 months later...

Why? Accidental Conscience Incident

My sister was the roleplayer, not me - it was just some strange hobby she'd acquired that I was vaguely aware of. She however had created a small rpg based off some godforsaken movie that just wasn't gaining traction or bites and she was getting disheartened yada yada. I felt bad for her basically. So I quietly took up one of her canons without her knowledge and continued this charade for a good four or five months before I broke the news to her - logging into my characters account in front of her one night.

I'll admit that it was VERY strange at first, this was so very new and my character was probably my first attempt at writing anything beyond educational requirements, and I just found 'pretending to be someone I'm not' coupled with this FC notion a huge struggle at first. Clearly I got over it :P

• I read this! 2

I started RPing because I wanted to know what it would be like to live in "that" world, whether medieval, Marvel, or sci-fi, it all depended on what I was reading at the time. I told myself there had to be some site that allowed to you to do that, right? Much to my surprise, there was an entire online forum community and then more. I joined my first RP site and never looked back.

• I read this! 2

I started roleplaying in OUAT's world because I was upset with the way the official canon was handling certain things and because I wanted to work on the ship I was obsessed with (Frozen Swan). I gathered a group of friends and we started roleplaying... that's how I started XD

• I read this! 1

mwBMe5.png

My best friend got me into it at 11/12. I remember being so excited and rushing home to read what someone else wrote. Nowadays, I love the social side of it and the creativity. Most of my friends have some from the RP world throughout my life and I do wonder how different it would have been if I never started RPing. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Why did I start RPing? At the time, the guy I was dating claimed he was a dungeon master. It seemed like fun so I said "why not?"

How did I get started? Like a number of people I started with Tabletop AD&D, then Vampire the Masquerade, moved to Live Action, then AOL chat room RP and eventually found forum style. Here, I found my niche and have stayed. 

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

Guest Tia

I don't remember why I began rping. I think its cause I was writing stories when growing up and I came across a rp in yahoo groups and thought it looked cool and thought why not. It sometimes help me with my stories.

Why I started rping is mostly because it looked fun and interesting.  I had also never done it before at all.

How I am not really sure of that.  I know it was on a Gilmore Girls message board that had a section for RP and I just decided to join it one day and got hooked.

I keep roleplaying because I keep having ideas for RPs.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

• 3 weeks later...

that's a real hard question because i honestly can't even remember the first time i tried it. i'd honestly love to go back and read my first rp post, that would be really cool to see. but i'm sure there was something exciting about creating a story with someone else, i always liked bouncing ideas back and forth with people so rp was basically the same thing. and it was really exciting to have your character do something that another character reacted to. idk. it's really fun. :3 

• 1 month later...

I've always liked telling stories (my first stories were all about my stuffed animals, who had names and adventures) and when I got into online adoptables there was a section of the board I was on for RP. I'm pretty sure that's how I found my first few RP forums and, well, I'm a sucker for telling stories. So I was into it from there on out. That was....shit...late 90s?

Edited by Terion
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

rpgd-sig-banner-white.png

The stage is set. The war is on. Now we just need you.