I Created A Character That Makes My Skin Crawl!

Have you?!

Let me tell you about mine! I made Augustus, a nearly immortal scientist/doctor from Victorian England. I modeled him after Charles Augustus Magnussen from Sherlock (I even took his middle name and face). He's a cannibal that perfected a serum that makes one stop aging, but there are some side effects (such as a tendency to insanity and cannibalism). Playing him actually feels slimy to me because he's...evil. I mean he's a horrible human being with no redeeming qualities at all. He's great at making people uncomfortable and has no morals to the point that it's actually difficult for me to be in his head space. To the best of my knowledge he does that to other players too, which is exactly what I was going for. As a writer, I love having that impact.

muEzlN.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played the Joker before, and he makes my skin crawl. Not all the time, but he does sometimes get into things that make me uncomfortable and that I'd rather not post about. Fortunately, in those cases, fading to black works wonderfully since whatever your imagination conjures up is far worse than what I could write anyway, probably. xD

There are other times when characters have made my skin crawl, but it's less because I personally find them disturbing and more because they find what they're doing to be disturbing. In fact, it's rarely the characters that I think are freaky that are the ones that make me feel that way. It's usually the nice ones that have to do something morally compromising or whatever that make my skin crawl, because that's how they're feeling about themselves in the moment. If that makes sense?

For example, I have one character who manipulated @Kit the Human's character into loving him, handing over his seat of power to him out of love, and then proceeded to murder his entire family because Kit's character hit mine once. My character also deliberately gave his infant son an illness which he knew would likely kill him, all because it would help perpetuate his innocence and spread a plague that he felt like starting just because. This character has done awful things, but he doesn't make my skin crawl when I'm writing for him because he's having fun.

I have had another one of my characters who had to interact with him though. She's his daughter, nice and sweet and painfully aware of the fact that her father is perhaps not the best of men. Just being around him- and knowing that she shares his blood- makes her skin crawl, and I feel it anytime they're in threads together or her father is even mentioned in a thread that she's in.

When I was younger I created a character who was selfish, self-serving, and prideful in being a complete suck-up. She reminded me so much of school bullies that I was creeped out even trying to think of what to write. Ultimately I couldn't play her because I hated her so much and couldn't understand her.

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think all of my characters can be a little loathsome. I'm not sure what this says about me, but I do find it a really fun and creative challenge of having characters that are truly difficult to like, but you nevertheless want to see succeed. Sometimes I pull it off. Sometimes my characters get murdered before I get the chance. I think my scariest one was an 18th century British dragoon who was also an apathetic murderer. He didn't care, and it was amazing what he got away with!

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2017 at 2:29 AM, SithLordOfSnark said:

While he SHOULD make my skin crawl, based on what he is and what he does, I've seen so much that Mel is just another wicked character in my arsenal and I'm a bit meh about it. LOL

I relate to this a ton. I feel like a few of my characters probably should make my skin crawl, some of them are despicable, but I just kind of roll with it.

I think the closest I came to genuinely being disturbed by a character I created has been Johnny Carter, specifically because I don't think other people realize just how bad he is. They love him because he's a victim, there are people around him who are worse than he is, and I think that some of my writing partners genuinely don't realize that Johnny is still terrible. He is being used by two Big Bads, and has been for along while, which racks up a lot of sympathy points, but he still used one of them to kill a kid he didn't like. He's completely casual about sexual assault, and it's really awful. I love him a lot, but I think some people I write with don't actually realize that he is meant to be terrible.

I made a character that is a cannibal, a brutally honest and open cannibal.  I love posting as the character because it lets me get insanely creative psychologically... plus most of the players who have characters in threads with him get suitably terrified of it.  That is definitely a plus.

Personally the character was designed to be a more brutal version of Fenrir Greyback (I once played that character for a while, but built him up so much it stopped being canon so I designed a new one).  I channeled what I considered the most perverse and sickening thing a human being could do that also inspires fear and revulsion.