Keeping open threads open

Hysteria

I love open threads, but oftentimes I feel like I mostly love the idea of open threads. It's very possible that I'm just bad at writing or replying to them (I am ridiculously shy, so the idea of actually going up to someone in a coffee shop or what have you in real life freaks me the ponies out so when it happens in RP I often have no idea what to say), but unless I know the player personally (and even then), I'm afraid to really do anything unless it is a very 'do something' thread. In a coffee shop, once small talk's done, I'm often just out of things to say. "Things... sure are things, right? Yeah, man, that thing... That was a thing, you know?" And then I feel terrible because what if someone else could have made something more interesting of that thread and I deprived them of it? What if the person whose thread I took resents me for it? Heck, what if I get super busy or my muse gets brutally murdered by whatever is driving me crazy at the moment and I can never reply?

But I've had open threads that were fantastic. Things happened! There was stuff! It was exciting! My character made a new friend! Or a new enemy! Had sex! Danced! Killed a baddie mcbadperson! And they're great for a new character that I'm still feeling out in a lot of respects. Gives them a connection, gives me maybe an unusual situation to see how they handle it, gives me just an opportunity to see who they are, because with mine, no matter how I write their personality they will end up doing their own thing.

Which is a lot of words to say yes. I take open threads, and I make them (much like I know when to hold them, and when to fold them). My site (which is also Jenn's site *CWbump*) loves them some open threads. Tasty ones are grabbed quickly. Less tasty ones are also often grabbed quickly. They are Pandora's boxes full of opportunity and awesomeness and character development, but, for me personally, there's always that last ray of 'ohgodican'tthething'.

• I read this! 1

I really love open threads, it's new and spontaneous, you don't know who you're going to meet or what's going to happen. We have a thread dedicated to them so people can post theirs in and hopefully get some nice rp's going. A lot of the time it works but it can be a bit of a hit and miss sometimes. I tend to make a few of them myself so new players have something to jump into or I'll even poke their plot page that I have a thread open. :D

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +