When a board catches your eye like a moth to the moon

xexes

Recently, I happened upon a roleplay forum that caught my eye. I liked the mood, I liked the staffing style, I liked the creativity, and I thought the skin was cool, even though it wasn't the current style or wasn't very complicated. Even though it wasn't something I'd normally join, I felt drawn to it and I admit I lurked for hours and hours just basking in its light, reading, exploring, etc.

Has anyone ever felt like that?

Not so much that a board is cool or neat or that you like it, but that you find it irresistable.

That something about it just makes it feel like it is calling to you personally.

• I read this! 2

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I've not experienced this, no. Even if I wasn't as terribly picky as I am, I still doubt it would happen. I'm not going to lie, I'm heckin' lazy and don't go about looking in threads on other forums. The closest I ever come to being enchanted is reading through all the documentation, but it's usually something in there that puts me off the site.

• I read this! 1

Not really. Never one where I liked everything. There have been sites I thought looked cool and wouldn't mind joining, but usually by the time I went to join them they were already dead. (Some by a few days other I have no idea how long they'd been gone for. Perhaps if I had joined right away they might not have died. That one person could have made the difference. Or perhaps not, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. Either way no way to know now.)

Maybe such a site is out there and I just haven't found it. I mean with the thousands of sites out there it'd be largely impossible to see them all. And really I'm not going to go searching, it'd be likely just a waste of my time and actively looking would probably end up ruling it out somehow. Might be a genre I don't normally look at or there are some rules I disagree with that'd turn me away otherwise. It'd have to be luck then for me to find it.

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I do! I do this a lot actually. I love to read what is going on with other characters and on other boards. I get hooked into the stories being shared or the lore.

I just enjoy seeing everything and knowing what is going on with the RP world because I am so passionate about it.

I recently stumbled upon a fantasy site that just isn't something I would join because frankly they were very very very serious about it being advanced/intermediate and frankly I just don't feel like I'm that sort of writer in the RP world. I couldn't handle the stress of keeping up, but I still really enjoy it.

• I read this! 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Absolutely have been there! You find that board that just sings to you. It calls. It tempts. There's been a few times where I've found that board at a point when I sadly couldn't join them so instead I would just enjoy visiting the site, reading posts, getting invested in the plots and stories and characters happening there. It's pretty awesome. =D I'm glad you've had this experience. It's a lovely one.

Will you be joining the one you found? Or just playing the invested lurker game like I did?

I don't think I've experienced that since this Star Wars board I was a member of died. It wasn't exclusively a role-play site, though it did have some elements of it. It was before blogs, tumblr, facebook, twitter and myspace became popular (or even existed, in most cases) and each member could have their own boards on it - one for personal stuff or anything they wanted, really, another for their fan fiction and another if they had a fan site and they wanted a little forum for it. Another thing that was good about it was that each board on the forum could be customized in how it appeared, so that each member could have their favourite colours on their board and create a unique banner for it. (Incidentally, one of the things I hate about facebook is that you can't customize it like that and it looks too corporate for me.) The forum software that they used was infopop (I'm not even sure if that software is around now - I think it's been superseded by V-Bulletin. It's only drawback was that you had to buy the software and subscribe to use it.) It was the only forum where I felt at home, really.

• I read this! 1

Yaaaaaasssssssss. This happens to me very rarely, but when it does omg I'm hooked for life and I cry when it dies. It usually happens when either I'm too invested in other games or my real life is too hectic so I can't join it, which I think is party of why I find it so enticing. Like, I can't join it but I really want to. So I'll read every thread, get intimate with every character, and lurk like my life depends on it. And then I give myself an excuse eventually and cave and join it and never look back.

With those sorts of sites, what usually really gets me hooked is the people. I'll be the awkward lurker watching all their chat and threads and desperately want to be a part of that. Then its everything else is just the right amount of perfect to push me over the edge. And it's the best feeling ever.

• I read this! 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

On 3/28/2017 at 0:27 PM, Gothams Reckoning said:

enchanted

I really loved this word, it is perfect.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:41 PM, VirusZero said:

Perhaps if I had joined right away they might not have died. That one person could have made the difference.

I've been that one person a lot of times and it's never made a difference. Because everyone is so slow and uninspired, you can't get replies.

16 hours ago, LOVE ME AND DESPAIR said:

Will you be joining the one you found? Or just playing the invested lurker game like I did?

It was sweet of you to ask! I lurked it for a few more hours and then decided to set it aside because I just didn't want to play in that genre right now. I ended up joining a True Blood site since I started binging the shows on Amazon Prime.

---------------

I would love to hear more experiences! @Sage made me realize that I am also interested in how those 'moth->moon' sites went for everyone. What happened, did it work out, was it pleasant, etc?

• I read this! 2

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR
6 hours ago, xexes said:

It was sweet of you to ask! I lurked it for a few more hours and then decided to set it aside because I just didn't want to play in that genre right now. I ended up joining a True Blood site since I started binging the shows on Amazon Prime.

That's understandable. I've been there before too. Sometimes what you find just isn't what you're seeking at that exact moment. Or you find it a time when you just don't have the time. The moth to moon sites I had found and didn't join did eventually die out, sadly. I had hoped they go on for a long time too considering how good they were even if I wasn't a member.

As a designer, I can say I've definitely been victim to this feeling. A certain aesthetic to something can really draw me in, even if I don't like or know anything about its contents. There's certain sites I lurk just for this reason, since I have no intentions of joining, but I just can't seem to stay away. I'll go check the updates, peruse the characters, enjoy the navigation, and see how they set up information centers. All these little things playing nicely with a rounded skin can get a site added to my bookmarks pretty quickly. 

Edited by Krank
  • I read this! 1