The importance and uses of cbox

Josie

The importance and uses of cboxes  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking over the last couple of days about what would happen if a forum didn't have a cbox. I've seen similar discussions before, and know that sites without cboxes just make more use of their OOC forums for discussion. (As I came to forum RP from Neopets, this isn't all that strange an idea to me, since there are no cboxes there and via forums and private messages was how we kept in touch.)

But I'm curious! What do you guys think about the subject?

Some questions for answering or thinking about, maybe:

• Do you think all sites should have cboxes?

• Would you ever join a site that doesn't have a cbox?

• What problems does having a cbox cause?

• Can you see benefits in not having a cbox? What are they? If you don't see any benefits in it- why not?
  • What are the cons of not having a cbox?
  • Why are cboxes important, do you think? How did they become so prevalent?
  • Why are they important to you? If they're not important to you, why not?
  • As a guest, what do you use cboxes on other sites for? Could you not do those things in a guest-friendly forum? Why or why not?
  • As an admin, would it be possible for you to set up a guest-friendly forum and still get back to things posted in that forum quickly? Why or why not?
  • Would you join a site without a cbox? Why or why not?

Feel free to bring up anything else about the topic that you'd like to discuss! I'm sure there are other facets of the topic to consider.

What problems does having a cbox cause?

Personally, I would get pretty down and frustrated when I had a cbox on my site and people weren't posting in it as often as I wanted them to. Although we spoke very often through other means (IM), it bothered me when the cbox wasn't active because I felt it could make the site look inactive, from a glance. So for me, cboxes can actually be a source of stress.

I think that cboxes can also sometimes make people feel pressured into interacting with others, or make them feel bad if they're not socially adept. On the flip side, some people who don't have much in the way of a filter can make the cbox an awkward place with their complaining, negativity, or simply by steamrolling over the conversation happening in the cbox.

Can you see benefits in not having a cbox? What are they? If you don't see any benefits in it- why not?

I think that there are maybe some benefits to a cbox, but I can't be certain. Some of the pressure behind interacting in it might be alleviated without one. It's likely more difficult to lose track of a conversation or get steamrolled in one too, since they take place in threads and that tends to take a bit more time to respond to. It might lead to some more thoughtful discussions as well, though I don't know.

What are the cons of not having a cbox?

The only thing I can think of is that it makes it slightly more difficult for guests to post things if they need to, but my forums also always have a help forum, so...

Why are cboxes important, do you think? How did they become so prevalent?

I don't think cboxes are important, actually, but I'm very interested in the story of how they became a thing (which I'm unfamiliar with). It's become a standard for RPs, but cboxes are an outside source that every forum has to go out and get if they want one. So it's kind of fascinating that pretty much all of them do that, in my opinion. I suppose they're popular because they simply provide a quick way for people to chat with each other.

Why are they important to you? If they're not important to you, why not?

They aren't important to me because I'm fine with talking in threads on a forum instead of in a cbox. In fact, on a forum where it was more normal to talk in threads I might be more inclined to be social on a forum that I don't own. It's not uncommon for me to be a little more quiet in that case, because 

As a guest, what do you use cboxes on other sites for? Could you not do those things in a guest-friendly forum? Why or why not?

I bother people in the cbox alllll the time as a guest. I just stop by to have a chat sometimes, because I want to get to know the people involved. But if there was a forum where guests could post and participate in conversations as well, then I'd totally do that without a problem. Why not?

As an admin, would it be possible for you to set up a guest-friendly forum and still get back to things posted in that forum quickly? Why or why not?

Totally possible on a MyBB forum, and I frequently have a quest-friendly forum for questions and things like that. I subscribe to those forums, so I get notifications if there's a new thread posted there. There's also a plugin for viewing the latest posts, so it'd be totally feasible to get back to someone quickly if they posted there.

Would you join a site without a cbox? Why or why not?

Of all the things that turn me away from a site, whether or not they have a cbox is so far down on the list that someone else has probably already turned me away from the site by the time I'd notice LOL. The placement of cboxes often bothers me, actually, so being on a site without one would possibly be an improvement.

• I read this! 1

For anyone looking for a space/bulleted list to inject their own answers...

Spoiler

• Can you see benefits in not having a cbox? What are they? If you don't see any benefits in it- why not?

• As a guest, what do you use cboxes on other sites for? Could you not do those things in a guest-friendly forum? Why or why not?

• As an admin, would it be possible for you to set up a guest-friendly forum and still get back to things posted in that forum quickly? Why or why not?

As for my answers...

No, not all sites need a cbox (or any kind of chat system). Some do fine without it because they feel it detracts from the user experience. (More on this in a bit.)

Yes, I have before and would do so again. In many cases I tend to ignore the chatbox anyway.

There are several major problems which can arise... Namely if people get too caught up in what's going on in the chatbox and don't do anything on site. (This can be a problem for anything though... discord, slack, cbox, skype, whatever.) Sites need activity to thrive and if people aren't active on site then they will decline. This can happen especially quickly on sites that have in character chatboxes. People get used to the instant gratification aspect and spend loads of time there instead of posting on the forums. 

Chatboxes can also be breeding grounds for drama, especially if left unchecked, lots can happen in a short span and it can be easy to miss (and some only go back so far or let you see so many past messages) that it can be tough to keep on top of. 

They're also a prime spot of contention because, let's be realistic here, people can be pretty dumb. For example, instead of looking if a site is active they'll pull crap like asking in the chatbox. (Which, sure, if a site has obscured all the date stamps and whatnot on topics then it's fine and I understand why then. But in 90% of cases where that doesn't happen... Use your eyes people.) 

Sites that don't have chatboxes may be more active (OOC sections may be more used). I won't say there won't be drama but it would be less out in the open, less flagrantly displayed and possibly wouldn't form as quickly.

Having to wait for an answer via PM or in a topic can be a bit slower, but that's really the only drawback.

People liked the idea of (nearly) instant feedback. Cbox itself was a free solution that fit in most places (because skin designers wanted it to be tiny and fit in the smallest spots so not to disturb their layouts) so it kind of became the standard. They also didn't like some of the other options for various reasons (some valid, some perhaps less so. EX- when people say they can't customize  chat-widget-X... but there are options and they just didn't look very hard.)

I'm mostly ambivalent on them. I don't need them, might not use them if they are there. 

I tend not to use other people's chatboxes or guest friendly sections. In the past I've used guest sections to let sites know that our affiliate banner has changed or the url changed or things like that. The main reason for using the guest section rather than the chatbox is simply because if a conversation kicks up then my message/request could be buried/lost before an admin can see it. So a bit where I say "Hey, here's our new aff banner..." might get ignored and our banner could be removed from their site without a new one going up. At least with a guest section it may not get buried as quickly and I can paste the url into a chatbox later or something if they still missed it.

It is possible by either subscribing to the forum or even just keeping an eye on them. (Don't bury these sections in sub-sub folders that can be easily ignored...) When you first sign on to your site, just have a look at the various sections and see if there's anything new. (Maybe refresh the index a few times during the day to see if new things have been added.)

I would because I'm not there for the chatbox, if they have one great... but I might not even use it. I mean if I see people spending loads of time fawning over playbys... I'm not even going to bother joining in because I have nothing to add and I really don't care.

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Nope. I RPed for years on a forum without one and never got in the habit of using them.

Yep.

People using it as the sole measure of activity.

I've actually been thinking about ditching mine because I just prefer to either IM or chat in the forum. Typically, if I'm on the forum, I'm on the forum to write so I keep automatically blocking the cbox from my awareness. Not a great example for the admin to be setting XD

Guests do not have immediate access to you.

No idea and no idea.

They're a pain in the butt and the advantages of a cbox over a guest forum is negligible.

I might drop a compliment as I'm advertising. As a potential member I don't use the cbox.

Yep.

Yep. I think I have adequately communicated my dislike of cboxes

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I've never been a huge fan of cboxes. I'll have them because they are popular, but I'd be just as happy without them. I don't think a site necessarily needs it unless it's an important part of the in-character game. As far as getting back to a guest friendly area, absolutely! It's really easy to subscribe to a forum and get email notifications when someone posts or replies, so it's not a big deal. As far as cons go, being that they are so popular it could give the misconception that the site is dead if there isn't one.

As far as being a guest and joining a site, whether there's a cbox or not doesn't change if I'd join one or not. And, I'd be just as happy (happier, probably) to submit questions to a guest friendly board.

As an admin I'll keep the cbox, but only because it's so popular. Personally I don't care much for it and it's just another thing to pay and keep up with.

muEzlN.jpg

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Do you think all sites should have cboxes?

No, I don't think any site is required to have a cbox. In fact, I used to RP using forums and live play way back before I even knew cbox was a thing, and the sites did just fine. I still these days see sites that don't use cboxes, just link to their Slack or Discord, or explain what method of communication/contact their forums use, and seem to do just fine.

Would you ever join a site that doesn't have a cbox?

Yes, as I said above I played quite fine for ages on forums without a cbox.

What problems does having a cbox cause?

It really depends. I know a site that the staff, and most of the members, just could not even use the cbox cause it lagged so badly for them. Even locked up. So they used a Skype group instead for communication. Other times the cbox doesn't have a toggle option and/or is positioned incoveniently(sometimes half over the board; sometimes in a way that constantly follows you) which can be irritating especially when trying to make any type of post. The first due to it being over the forum where you're trying to write and the second cause if you can't toggle it plus it follows you it can be distracting.

Can you see benefits in not having a cbox? What are they? If you don't see any benefits in it- why not?

Quite a number honestly. For one, an off-site option lets you use it in a different way in that you don't always have to look at it. It can be in another tab, it can be minimized, etc. We use Discord and I love it. We have channels for various things(silly and fun; related to RP; so on and you don't feel like you're ever drowning someone out). Second, it makes plotting easier especially as I am not so great with plotting in plotters; never have been for all my years doing it cause I feel awkward and rambly as to where on a chat service I'm having a convo, but you can't do this in the cbox on a site cause it drowns out other things like other convos and most places forbid plotting in the cbox.

What are the cons of not having a cbox?

At most the con is maybe if a guest has a question, but if you have links to provide other ways they can reach you it isn't a big deal. As for members who don't want to use like a chat service(Discord or Slack) or messenger(Skype, etc.) I've always noticed they're rarely cbox chatty folks. Instead they tend to focus on writing and plotting, and if they have questions will contact you in PM or hit you up in a plotter. We also have a guest area where people can post any questions they desire, and if you want to just register an OoC account to hit us up in PM you can as well. So if for some reason we were to get rid of our cbox then there'd be plenty of other ways guests or non-chat service/messenger folk can contact us.

Why are cboxes important, do you think? How did they become so prevalent?

Honestly, I don't have an answer. They're okay to gauge a community, but you can do that by puttering around the forum or peeking in at their chat service too. I don't think that's why they became prevalent though, and I never understood why people measure a site's activity by its cbox. Never made sense to me. If there's posts being made on the forum then obviously it's active. The cbox shouldn't matter.

Why are they important to you? If they're not important to you, why not?

They're not really just. . . cause they aren't. I've never understood the necessity. Most groups I've ever been on had some sorta off-site chat area(Skype group, AIM group, etc.) or people talked one-on-one via messengers so as not to clutter the cbox as most groups like to make a rule.

As a guest, what do you use cboxes on other sites for? Could you not do those things in a guest-friendly forum? Why or why not?

As I said above, I like to use cboxes to gauge communities. However, I can do the same by peeking at their chat service(Discord/Slack) if available or just puttering around their forum. Sometimes I might even just take the chance and hop in without gauging it. As for questions, if there's a guest-friendly area then I can pop them in there or - as some sites do - I can register an OoC account, or a temp OoC account then changed to my IC name if I join(if the site doesn't allow OoC accounts), to hit up the staff in PM.

As an admin, would it be possible for you to set up a guest-friendly forum and still get back to things posted in that forum quickly? Why or why not?

I've always had a guest-friendly area where people can ask questions. On my sites and on the ones where I've staffed, or been a member, where people had these areas it never seemed a hassle cause members could respond too if they knew how to answer a question the user had. I always advocate for having such a place to ask questions for guests.

Would you join a site without a cbox? Why or why not?

Again, yes I would as I've already used many forums before without one.

As a guest, c-boxes aren't really that important to me, to be be honest. I started using them because I noticed that people on blogger had them, when I had a character blog on there and followed suit, so it became a habit to add them to other sites that I run as well.

As an admin - I like them because I can show that I'm working on a site - I usually post a short message about what I'm intending to do on the site that day, or what I have done - they're useful to post a quick update message which would make the site look spammy if I posted lots of short threads.

As an admin, I also hate c-boxes. I've found that if a guest wants to be rude, question how you run your site, etc, they'll post there. I don't like answering these comments because I don't like coming across admins and moderators who are snippy with people and don't want to be one of those types of admins, so they make me uncomfortable. If guests have questions, I'd much rather them ask in the guest friendly help board than ask them in the c-box because I can answer them properly (more space, you see!) and it'll be more helpful for other guests if they do because someone might have already asked the question they need answering, and short messages are more likely to come off as rude than longer ones because you can express yourself better. (I'm certain that most of the problems on twitter come about because of the short character count limit and most c-boxes seem to have them, too.)

As a site member, I don't use c-boxes that much. I normally use them to say that I'm going to do something on the site on that day or something like that, so they aren't really that important to me.

As for instant messaging, I don't like using it. I suppose part of it comes down to when I was at uni, I'd go on facebook to play a couple of games for a break and hated it when people started talking to me on the IM because I'd only go on for a short while. I don't like people interrupting me when I'm doing something else, or aren't going to be around long, so I find them an irritation.

As for the placement of c-boxes on a site, I prefer them to be embedded in the layout. I do not like floating boxes on a site, especially if it covers up important parts of it or is intrusive. (I was on a proboards site once where the c-box hovered over the submit reply/post button so you couldn't actually post topics on a forum so if they are floating boxes, they can interfere with a site's functionality, which doesn't make them any good.

I suspect in the end, most boards have them like most boards seem to use tiny fonts - someone decided that 'it's cool' to have them and you aren't 'current' or 'up to date' if you don't have them.

I prefer Discord, but I wish there was a way to put the discord chatbox on the site the way Cbox is. 

• Agree 1

I feel like I'm just going to echo most people's opinions here already, so I'll just add my two cents to a small part of the discussion here.

I don't see cbox's as necessary, nor do I always want to interact with people that way, but I don't think I would ever create a board without one. Roleplaying is a social activity, and part of that culture nowadays is instant chatting alongside it. While I don't expect my members to use it all the time, I want that option to be available to them to use whenever they want. I want guests to feel welcome to use it to ask questions, say hi, or drop a message without having to jump through hoops. I don't mind if no messages have been posted there for a while - in that case make it a toggle or put it in your footer - because that's not the focus of the site. As long as the rest of the board has active posts, the cbox activity is a small concern of mine. 

As far as behavior in the cbox, it's the community presence you have on-site that dictates how problems will be handled. If you have a mature community who's there for their love of writing, an obtrusive guest isn't going to do much. They'll shut that shit down without you needing to worry about it. I'd only worry about the negatives if I thought my community couldn't handle it.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon