ADHD Board Creation

CovertSphinx

I have a confession to make: Sometimes, I like to go on Character-making sprees. Concepts that hit my fancy, and just run with them. See what sticks well, drop what doesn't.

I have a second confession to make: Sometimes, I do this with entire boards. As the title suggests, I wanted to ask if anybody else has moments where they go - "You know, I'd really like to create a Legend of the Dragoon board. But...I kinda really want to make and xyz plot for a High School Drama rp. Oooh, I should totally make a Agents of Shield board with the twist that everything takes place in Dr. Radcliff's digital Matrix world".

And if you have, what are some of the "crazy", "wacky", "one-shot" ideas you've entertained running with?

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I can relate to this in some ways - I'd like to make boards for my favourite various fandoms - Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy, The Dresden Files, and others, including ones which I think wouldn't even get anyone wanting to join because they are quite old and not current - a James Herriot type setting (not with the people from the books because they were based on real people and it feels strange rping them) but I like the society and time setting. Though I've not rped on these kind of sites, I did have the urge not so long ago to do a Watership Down or Animals of Farthing Wood board. I used to write animal related stories years ago, but turned to Science Fiction and Fantasy when I started reading those books instead (finding animal fiction that are good to read for adults aren't that easy to find.)

• I read this! 1

Author Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) once said that when things begin to bother him so much he can't stand it anymore, he (takes the worst scenario of it) and writes a book. For me, it's a release like that. I made a board where I write sites or parts of sites, proving to myself that I am capable of "fixing" the wrongness that bothers me.

BUT, unlike Serial Site Creators, I don't rope other people in and disappoint them. That's a crucial difference.

• I read this! 2

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Oh god yes. I used to do this with characters and boards all the time! I was totally what you'd call a serial board creator 😓 I made a lot of fandom or involved fantasy sites that I'd end up ditching less than a month in. It was a terrible time in my life and thankfully I've matured a lot since then (i stick with all my sites to the bitter end now, kicking and screaming b/c I don't want them to go). 

But! I had a lot of good ideas when I did that, and I'll always be mad at myself for not seeing them through 😢. There was this really cool steampunk fantasy site I came up with that had some really glorious character tropes and lore and general world building that was SO COOL. At the same time, I had an awesome ATLA inspired board and another original superpower type board (complete with political intrigue and street brawls) and I still hold one to them hoping ONE DAY to make them legitimate rps that I'll stick with til the end!

I did something similar with what @xexes did - I have a coding board with a hidden forum about all the site ideas I really want to make (or made in the past that didn't work out)! That keeps me from creating a ditching like I used to, but lets me hold out hope that one day they'll be real boards that I have enough muse to actually see through.

• I read this! 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I don't do this with boards, exactly, but I stash information away in Gdocs... Just in case. I have two WIP boards that might never get off the ground, but I have them there to work on when the mood strikes me.

Mostly if I get the itch for something specific I see if I can hunt down a 1x1 RP to satisfy the craving.

• I read this! 1

• 2 months later...

@SithLordOfSnark, I'd love to hear more about what boards you run and how you balance it all. I can barely manage one site.

I used to be a serial site maker. Impulses were very hard to maturely handle, and I'd just create whatever came to mind on a whim. It took time to develop the skills and patience required to stick with a site and allow it to flourish. Even now, though, I still have to fight the impulse.

The turning point for me was my high school site. Until then, my sites were niche . . .  Resident Evil, haunted house, The Stand. Then I found myself in what was, at the time, an incredibly popular genre and I didn't have to worry too hard about attracting members. To them, my site was a breath of fresh air since we were very tongue in cheek as well as inclusive in a genre that was cliquish and took itself very seriously. Further, I had a solid administrator by my side. After that, I realized the importance of starting off a site with supportive, dedicated staff.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png