Term: Playby or Faceclaim

Morrigan

Which term do you prefer?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:37 PM, Rune said:

I would like to see the trend change towards something along the lines of Casting or Playbill. But that's asking too much.

I might try this some time on my own board.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

I feel like I grew up using Face claim but lately all the forums I join use playby so I've sort of joined that camp.

(also... face claim sort of conjures very aggressive imagery now that I think about it in depth 😬)

• I read this! 1

affiliate.png

Age of Aquarius

a techy potterverse sandbox

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

When this first became a thing(as when I first started it was more a use-art-for-your-characters thing that was popular on AOL with live chat/IM play, etc. and nobody really claimed anything) Play-by or Playby(however you chose to write it) was the go-to term. It's the one I was more used to until I was introduce to Face Claim which I've grown more fond of using now. Overall though I end up using them interchangeably. I go with Play-by/Face Claim or PB/FC more often than not as some people might not know what I mean by one, but might know the other one. I've noticed the play-by-post forum community knows Face Claim(FC) more than Play-by(PB) while the people who started via live play or a combo of live play + forum seem to be the opposite.

So I guess ultimately I'm more part of the interchangeable camp, but I prefer Face Claim. I just like the way it rolls off the tongue.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on where I am. I lean towards Faceclaim.

I've rarely seen 'playby' being used; mostly seen Face Claim.  It's what I'm used to, and thus what I gravitate towards.

tumblr_o4od0wR43y1ta7p7ko1_400.gif

Button.gif 

Currently working on: a Fire Emblem RP set in Tellius

I've never really noticed it until now, I go between the pair of them a lot though currently I'm saying face claim to remind people to do just that.

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

I prefer face claim just because I can shorten it to FC - while I can shorten Playby to PB, on a Harry Potter rpg, that often stands for pureblood and so FC is just less confusing! The site I used to be on used playby and it took me a really long time to adjust to face claim hahah

Faceby!

Kidding. I've always used face claim, but it's interesting that it was mentioned the term seems more passive aggressive than 'playby'. Indeed it does, it's like 'I CLAIM THIS, IT'S MINE, FIGHT ME!'

Still, I can relate. I love my claims and don't want no one taking them. :P

• LOL 1

• 2 months later...

Both are interchangeable to me, but I have opinions on each.

With playby, I find that it can often spark confusion among RPers who might come from different genres where playbys are not that common. To some people, "playby" or "played by" will automatically mean a celebrity face, whereas others will think to put their OOC names there.

"Faceclaim," on the other hand, doesn't seem to have as much confusion circulating around it in my experience. However, I agree with what @Uaithne said- it does sound like you're just stealing someone's face right off their head. xD That's weird.

• LOL 1

I've always been on sites where Face Claim is used so that's what I prefer.  The first time I saw Playby used or saw someone refer to it that way I was confused.  I get it now but I didn't then.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I've seen both and to avoid confusion, I usually label things as PlayBy/Face Claim, so people realize that they're one and the same on the application.

I think I default to PB (Play by) if I'm abbreviating it, but face claim if I'm writing it out. I dunno. I am a ball of confusion!

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

• 4 weeks later...

I'm more used to playby/PB because it's what is used on the server I've been at for the past 8 years. Recently I jumped back into forum RP and everyone uses face claim, I assume because there are other types of "claim" lists. I still knew it meant the same thing, but it stuck out to me a bit. Now that I'm more used to it, I kind of prefer FC.

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

I think for me, if I'm trying to figure out definitions, the difference is... Like @Uaithne said Face Claim sounds more possessive. So I use FC when I'm making a list where appearance can't overlap but PB when it's a list that can? (Like a panfandom site, where Benedict Cumberbatch can just appeared every which way would have play bys... Or a site where faces aren't restricted to just one character I would think of that as having a play by list vs. a face claim thread?)

But I think I usually default to FC? (That's what the person who introduced me to forum rp used/uses. XD)

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

• Admin

@Thyme I think that really it can overlap wherever. I mean there are shows/movies like "What Happened to Monday" and "Orphan Black" that the face isn't "claimed" by a single character but "played by" the same person.... So I don't think either is technically appropriate or inappropriate in either fashion.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.