The Halifax Donair

VirusZero

This is something that is pretty well known where I live, but once you get beyond Montreal, Quebec or into the USA no one knows what it is... So to maybe change that, here's the recipe for the Halifax Donair. I have not tried making this myself (I have no need to since I can buy donair meat from numerous places here) so I can't say this is an exact recreation of the recipe. Though from what I've read is in it... it looks pretty close.

THE DONAIR MEAT INGREDIENTS

• 3 lbs lean ground beef
  • 3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

DONAIR SAUCE INGREDIENTS

• 10 oz (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

INGREDIENTS TO ASSEMBLE DONAIRS

• Pita bread (for the wrap)
  • diced tomatoes
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • diced onion
  • Donair sauce 

INSTRUCTIONS

HOW TO MAKE THE DONAIR MEAT

1. Pre-heat the oven to 300°F
  2. Using a stand mixer (if you don't have a stand mixer see my note below) combine all ingredients and mix well for 10 minutes on medium speed with the paddle attachment.
  3. Once everything is very well combined, form the meat into a tightly packed oval loaf.
  4. Place the loaf on a broiler pan and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.
  5. Once the meat has cooked allow to cool in the fridge overnight.
  6. The next morning after the donair meat has chilled cut the loaf into thin slices.
  7. I usually portion out the meat for individual donairs and put them in the freezer for when I want to make some.

MAKE THE SAUCE

1. Stir together all ingredients until thick. You might find that stirring it with a fork works best or you can use a stand mixer or electric mixer.
  2. You can use this right away but it tastes the best if it sits overnight in the fridge.

TO MAKE A DONAIR WRAP

1. Take a portion of donair meat and heat the slices up in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil on low heat. You just want to heat the slices up and not brown them too much.
  2. While the meat is heating up in the frying pan take a pita and quickly wet both side under running water. Now take the pita and put it on top of the meat while it's cooking. Once the pita has been over the meat for about 1 minute flip it over and let the pita steam for another 1 minute on the other side.
  3. Take the pita and place it on top of a square of aluminum foil.
  4. Top the pita with donair meat and remaining toppings as desired.
  5. Top with donair sauce.
  6. Fold up the bottom of the pita and then roll it up. Wrap the aluminum foil around the donair and place into the oven for about 10 minutes to warm. (I usually set the oven to 350°F to warm them – this is great when you have cheese in them!)
  7. Repeat these steps for how ever many donairs you're making.
  8. Peel the aluminum foil away as you eat the donair. Make sure you have lots of napkins in hand – donairs are famously messy and delicious!

NOTES

If you don't have a stand mixer to combine the meat that's ok. Use a food processor to make the beef very finely ground and then you can mix in the remaining ingredients on pulse for a few minutes. Then mix by hand so that it's very thoroughly combined.

If you're eating the donair right away then you can skip wrapping it in the aluminum foil and just plate it.

Donair recipe

Donair sauce recipe

Edited by VirusZero
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic