Changes in the RP World

RavenFlame

I still use AIM! Admittedly not as often as I used to as I've now got Skype, but my AIM is still there and I have a couple of people I still talk to regularly on it.

I must be one of the rare ones who has been on the same site for a very long time. I guess I'm just very stubborn, but it's certainly gone through quite a few changes over the years. Invisionfree was a thing for us once upon a time, but we've thankfully expanded way beyond that.

Coding! I remember when RP was all about the text and not so much about the pretty and people who coded pretty things were like a whole other alien race I was in awe of. Now, it's a very common thing to find in all RP sites. Lists and character apps and miniprofiles and signatures and all sorts of fancy things keep popping up.

• Love 1
Find me on my sites!
The Next Incantation :: The Last Island

@Rune Avidgamers!  I started there.  It went down long after I left, and they tried to resurrect it, but nothing ever became of it.

WoL___dark01.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg
5 hours ago, Rune said:

Is Wolfspeak still a thing? Where the use pseudo latin and call eyes orbs and tails plumes and shit like that?

Sadly, yes. It hurts to read that as much as it did years ago. :|

• Admin
8 hours ago, Uaithne said:

@Rune Avidgamers!  I started there.  It went down long after I left, and they tried to resurrect it, but nothing ever became of it.

They've tried to resurrect AG so many times over the years including some people making their own.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Admin

Oh! I just remembered something. The No word count and no/minimal app stuff has become a lot more significant which I love.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

11 hours ago, Rune said:

Is Wolfspeak still a thing? Where the use pseudo latin and call eyes orbs and tails plumes and shit like that?

Yes but it, and long purple prose, are dying. The biggest wolf roleplays have faded away and I feel like there is less elitism than before - the two trends that spread these things, sometimes by bullying.

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

They've tried to resurrect AG so many times over the years including some people making their own.

These things always fail because programmers start, run out of steam and fans, and the project dies and all that code and work disappears. If someone would actually release their own code open source, other programmers would pick it up and it would live on to be developed into a living thing. Its simply too much work for one person to do - I've only ever seen three people pull it off, ever. Two of them disappeared and their work died and disappeared and the third person lives on, Ongoing Worlds.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

13 minutes ago, xexes said:

Two of them disappeared and their work died and disappeared and the third person lives on, Ongoing Worlds.

I have just rushed out to go find Ongoing Worlds.  This is so exciting.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

I have just rushed out to go find Ongoing Worlds.  This is so exciting.

Ongoing worlds is not nearly as dynamic as AG used to be. Spleafnet is supposed to eventually be making a return.

@xexes I believe it's in part that and in part it's also funding. Spleaf and Acornrack got too big for their britches and didn't have enough financial support to expand. Nowadays I think that if something like this came out it would be more widely used as people are more happy to donate/subscribe to their roleplay cause. Back then it just wasn't as well wide spread that donating/paying was important to keep the project alive.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

56 minutes ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Gonna use orbs now instead of eyes in all my posts to you @Rune 

I honestly don't know if I could purple my prose up anymore. xD My style's become so blunt.

• I read this! 1

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

I honestly don't know if I could purple my prose up anymore. xD My style's become so blunt.

I've never been able to accomplish it. Why use forty words to describe one thing when three will work? XD but by golly I'm going to try!

• LOL 1

Avidgamers, sigh, my childhood in rp. I never really got into the wolf rps, though it is probably something I would have dug hardcore in middleschool, had I the internet at the time XD.  Oh and rainbow text, how horrible rainbow text was. What always bugged me was writing this long meaningful post that got a one liner to it. I am kind of in love with at least a minimum word count, it was hard at first for me, being used to more rapidfire posts, but now I find it hard to do rapidfire at all anymore.

Also purple prose Rune, do all the Purple prose, I believe in you XD

• I read this! 3

OH YEAH. Having to have your text look super special

Using Gaiaonline avatars as descriptions for your characters. I never did it but a lot of other people did. 

Oh yeah that, oh gaiaonline, I haven't been on there in like a year. But yeah, trying to make your text as pretty as possible, ugh. So glad it's gotten a lot more simple, though I still like to fancy up some things. I like highlight speech by color or bold still. I did templates which was so new to me, and quickly have gotten over them XD. Sites that force you to use templates, or their specific template bother me.

• Admin

I feel like this has become a nostalgia thread! I love it.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png