I don't do activity checks. They are an additional, unfun chore for the staff, and they don't translate into actual activity anyway.

I only have activity rules once you're involved in plots. If your inactive char is just lazing around I don't care, but if you leave plots waiting then it's a biggish deal. Even those rules are bargainable if you keep me posted - I encourage people to talk about it, even off-site, and we can find a way to justify a hiatus. However if you vanish entirely and leave everyone stuck for weeks, I'll write you out of the scenes whatever it takes.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. I don't see the point and it's just more work. I am one lazy admin, let me tell you. Unless the character is stalling a major plot, I don't care. And if they are, then we find ways to move around them. It's a part of RP at this point.

Reality is an illusion. 

On 8/19/2017 at 5:02 PM, Dusty said:

We just finished an ACand it went pretty well. All but three did not respond and of those, one of them was no surprise at all.

One thing it did highlight was the how many people don't read things properly. 

We had changed the game year and a good proportion of players needed to age up their characters. It was explained how to do this and where. 

A lot answered YES to the questions and had not done what they had responded YES to.

Now the 1st-anniversary activity check is complete, we will go back to the behind the scenes checks (which I feel are far more effective in the long run). 

I'm not going to lie. One of the most frustrating things about activity checks was that people could not follow the guidelines. I'd specifically state that I wanted the names listed in a certain manner (no fancy coding or HTML or anything) and people would not do it. It was right there in front of their faces and they would not do it. I added more obvious instructions, and they would not do it. I eventually stopped accepting replies that weren't formatted the right way because I was just so irritated after correcting the same people multiple times, but then I look like the jerk for being so nitpicky.

But it wasn't about having everything perfect. It was about expecting members to follow basic rules. It was about making a labor-intensive task a little more manageable for me with a few moments of time to put the character name in the right format.

Right -

McNameface, Namey :: user group

Wrong -

Name McNameface :: user group

McNameface, Namey ;';";"::" user group

So anyway, what I was trying to say with this rant is that I found activity checks more trouble than they're worth for many reasons, some of them for seemingly stupid reasons.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

WoL___dark01.png

Man, I really wish I could get rid of checks altogether but I have a Post-Potter site and it has majorly popular canons that we have to run checks with. We're about to end one right now and it's going to free up a handful of them and people have been circling them funny enough.

Someone in my board cbox mentioned something about Canon Challenges or something where I guess they do a challenge to see who gets the Canon? idk I could have this wrong, I was wondering if anyone else heard of this or something like it...I don't know what to make of it.

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

@katherineespair My site is set up the same way -- very standard AC's at a set time.

It's a 1 post AC which is basically meant to weed out people who aren't currently active on board -- people who created an account and left. (It's more for organization than anything else for me, so I know who to archive without sending out a whole bunch of "hey, are you still active?" messages.)

We do have canons and they have to post more frequently than "normal" characters.

-- As a slight tangent, I've seen an incredible number of "no AC" and "roll call" sites that have incredibly fast posting speeds naturally because that's the culture of the site.

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg