What makes you stop browsing and join a site?

Nox

Putting up a well-written, well-presented ad gets people to stop by and have a look at a site, but what makes you stop and actually consider joining?

For me, the first thing would be the overall story of the plot. Is it interesting? Is it something I haven't seen before?

And secondly, I gotta admit, I check-out the Faceclaim section to see if my favorite celeb faces have been claimed or not. It's shallow, I know, but I can't help it.

• I read this! 3

For me its how engaging the site is in general. A pretty skin helps but if there's friendly people  in the cbox and they are willing to converse with a guestyfish I'm more likely to join. 

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

It has to be in something I'm interested in rping for me to even look at a site.

After that - site layout. This is a big thing for me. If it's hard for me to read or navigate, I won't join it even if it's the only active site of the fandom in existence.

After that, plot. If it is in a fandom I'm interested in, it has to be set in an era I'm interested in. If it isn't, I won't join.

Starting off on the site should be simple and straight forward. If there is a site that I'm interested in, but there is more to joining it than making accounts and filling in a character/sheet app and writer introduction, then I'm not going to bother. I've seen boards that have rp training/auditions and that's just a put off for me. It makes a site look elitist, or that the admins want to control members too much.

After that, if I'm interested in playing a canon character, I look to see if it's taken. If it gets past all these, then I'll join it. (I am willing to compromise on some things, like plot but it depends on how much I need to compromise, how much I have to give up, if that makes sense.)

Of course, the members have to be friendly and such. If I get the feeling that there is a lot of drama on a site, I won't join even if everything else is what I'm looking at.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 1

Activity, plot, rules, and friendliness.  No set order.  I can tolerate a crappy layout and other irritating things if the most important things fall into place.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

If I see a character wanted ad I really like. Plot and setting will draw me in to admire a site, but having a spot that I can jump into that is already pretty integrated with the plot, whether it’s an actual character or a more general position (e.g. a teacher for the school), is what will really motivate me to join.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Rules are my number one thing. If the rules piss me off I will never join. Snarky, annoying elitest rules that are still popular will shut me down every time. If I can get past the rules and like everything else? I'll join if I have the time.

Rules are the number 1 non-starter for me. I particularly hate with OOC accounts are banned.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I'm a graphics designer so I can't help but look at the layout and coloring first. It's due to some skins not being easy to read when it's important for me to be able to navigate the board. Rules are my first stop, along with the plot and any lore the board may have. I also look for a friendly and welcoming board, the first board I joined had their little groups and were very open about it so that's a major thing I look to avoid when joining a new site. 

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

Wanted/Canon list ad that sparks my imagination and then checking activity/post quality. Most of the favorite characters I've ever had were wanted/canon list ads that had some traits/description that let my imagination run wild and let me absolutely just run with the concept.

• I read this! 1

Ngl, if a site is pretty, I'm gonna stay and read through everything...even if it isn't a genre I was looking to play in. I am a sucker for a nice webpage.

Beyond that, I look at community. I could care less about the cbox, but how is activity in OOC boards? What's the plotting landscape? How busy are threads? If I like what i see, I move on to want ads. I will almost always try to take a want ad, and if there isn't one I'm interested in I lose interest pretty quickly. Unless I desperately want to join, then I'll find a way to integrate myself.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

My number one turnoff is tiny font. If I have to squint to read, I'm not going to stick around. But really it's probably an interesting plot that will pull me in, and it's a friendly, active community that will keep me. I'm super shy and it takes a fair amount of lurking in a cbox and getting to know a community before I'll start talking, and being able to chat and feel comfortable hanging out is super important to me.

A nice layout is gravy, but as long as I can read it I'm pretty easy to please on that front.

First thing I look at is the layout, mainly because I have a hard time reading certain styles and if I can't read what's on there I'm definitely not joining. Weird colours or small text is a big turn off. Second I look at the rules. If it looks like the admins are control freaks I won't join. I don't like when sites place bans on character's genders or groups, I want to be able to create whatever character I have muse for at the time. I also want a site that's very LGBTQIA+ friendly and that will be comfortable with gay and trans characters (also I'm LGBTQIA+ so it helps me figure out if I will be welcome or not). Third I look at the interactions in the cbox or Discord chat. If everyone seems friendly and welcoming I'll probably join. Plot is kind of important but ultimately I will be willing to make massive concessions if the first three points are up to my standard.

• I read this! 1

For me it's many things. Like @Nox, I have to check and see if my favorite faces are taken. If so, I still might join, but if your rules put me off (and there are many reasons, including contradicting yourself), I'm out. Your plot may be amazing, and your people could be stellar, but if you have terrible rules, I am not putting up with that. If you have a skin I can deal with, great. I prefer darker skins, mostly because it's easier on my eyes, and I get migraines. I won't say no to a bright site though. I'm just picky in general really. xD

I have to like the layout. There has to be a reasonable amount of information and not be overwhelming. If I can skim, I'm totally game. If I have to spend 3 years reading everything, I'm out. (CW has a ton of info, but most can be skipped if its not for what you're rolling.)

I'll also watch the Cbox a bit and see how they're behaving in there. No Cbox? I'm out, I don't want to have to join your million different chat programs to be involved.

• LOL 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Rune said:

I'll also watch the Cbox a bit and see how they're behaving in there. No Cbox? I'm out, I don't want to have to join your million different chat programs to be involved.

That's too bad with the start of the movement into Discord over cBox.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Organization.

I look for a site that has a lot of info that is well-kept. I require applications and rules to be well laid-out, and I require the skin to be easy to navigate and that it not hurt my head. Is there a chat box? No? I'm out. How active will I be expected to be? I'm not going to make more than a post a day, it's just not going to happen. There was a time when I could pump out 70 literate posts in a day on just one of my multiple characters. That time was long ago and I'm not about that life.

Finally, level of maturity. I won't write with people under 18 years old. It makes me uncomfortable, and I hate not being able to expect people to act like adults. If I'm not going to be allowed to write death and drug use and mental illness and suffering I'm not interested in your website.