What makes you stop browsing and join a site?

Nox

I would have to say the main thing that would be my main pull is the skin. If it doesn't look as if it is well organized or neat I won't stay to read into it. I find sites that have what one would call "to much" on their page to be in bad taste. Maybe it is just mean since I seem to like the more simple kind of sites. Once I am on there to stay I end up reading everything and if I like it well then here I shall join.

But i have to agree the level of maturity is def needed when I am drawn to a site other then their looks. I like to be able to play the darker parts of life and dare I say some of the taboo lifestyles which can't happen sadly when you are playing with people under the age of 18.

Edited by Love

The layout needs to be easy to navigate and easy on the eyes. If no effort was put into it as well, I wouldn't join. Activity is a must for me, even if the community is small. I like to see some posts everyday. An active and friendly chatbox is also important. The genre and rules are a big one. I prefer rather simple plots than extensive ones. I don't want to feel like my story is already pre-written. I want a lot of room for my characters. I also won't join a young community. I won't mind one or two younger players, but it needs to primarily be 18+. 

Plot, activity, ease of which site can be navigated and the people on the forum. 4 simple things that a surprising amount of forums I've seen don't meet. Especially navigation, what is up with light grey backgrounds with white text?? I have no idea what's going on or where I am!

• I read this! 1

promoimg.png 

I'm not going to lie one of my biggest deciding factors is the people and staff. Was I welcomed? Do I feel like I belong here or do I feel like I tried to sit at the popular table at lunch and have no idea what is going on around me? Is everyone to busy talking about their in depth plotlines with their friends to notice I'm there, or are they engaging me in talk to?

I mean I wouldn't have even looked at the site if the plotline and/or story weren't interesting to begin with, that's what brought me there. 

I've also got to admit that a site will generally get my attention if it's well put together and articulately described in storyline and plot..without going over board. IF I have to read five hundred threads just to know what is going on, it's not for me.

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

For me it's a number of things, I've got some stuff that decides whether I give the site more than a cursory look, and the ones that make me actually look closer and then join. 

I will admit I'm a bit shallow, and when I drop ads and I run across a pretty board I tend to begin looking closer at it and the plot and such. I have a few bookmarked sites that I'm thinking of joining that first got me interested cos their skin was really pretty and functional. Functionality is really important to me, so tiny text is an instant turn-off while large legible text is instant love. So if a site looks good and is functional I stop, and take a serious closer look. 

Rules and plots are then what usually gets me to join, if the plot is cool and the rules aren't overbearing and silly then I'll join. It's especially a plus if there's no word count and there's either no app or a short app, but honestly the no word count is more important to me than the whole app thing. I hate other people dictating how much I write, as sometimes something warrants a few lines other times several paragraphs. Also, if there are any interesting wanted ads. I love picking up wanted ads <3 I love to pick up those vague ones that are more looking for concepts since then I get something to work with when making my character. 

Community is what gets me to stay, if the staff and members are unwelcoming or rude I tend to flake. 

sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

If I:

1. Like the skin

2. Like the plot and lore for the species, and;

3. Some of my favorite faces are open

NksejyY.png

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at the plot I look at the rules. I think some sites can be a bit pedantic and I tend to steer clear of those. As well as overly long apps #ain'tnonbodygottimeforthat I am too old for them and I just wanna write and have fun. I will admit I check the face claims as well, but those usually aren't deal breakers. The big thing is the age of the other members, and the way they make you feel when you drop in the chat box.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 1 month later...
Guest Carnival

I agree that it has to be a genre that I'm interested in to begin with, but the most important factor on whether I join an rp site or not is how friendly the people are.  Do they say hello to the newbies?  Do they ignore or bully them?  Are they willing to chat about roleplaying ideas?  Are they helpful in getting me involved in the plot?  If a site welcomes me with open arms and generally makes me feel like they want me there, then I'm more apt to join them.  I don't like to feel like a third wheel anywhere and the first sight of an intimidating environment makes me mentally run faster than my legs can carry me.

I look for an easy-to-follow, but interesting plot! Rules that aren't too complex, but keep order are also a plus. Activity in the cbox is a big drawing point. Plus, organization! A well-organized site is a wonderful thing.

This island had ears so revealing everything all at once was not a smart move. There was a need for elements of surprise when dealing with Pan.