Playing Favorites

firefly

I like to pretend I love all of my characters equally, but in truth I do favor some over others. I'm curious:

Which of your characters is or has been your very favorite to write? What do you love most about writing them?

My version of Kili is my favourite one to write and it caught me by surprise, to be honest as I wasn't expecting it. Until writing him, I'd always favoured original characters over canons because with them being basically a blank sheet, I don't have to write them in an established way. I like writing Kili because he does have a playful side to his nature, but he also has a serious side to it when needed. If I'm having a bit of a rough day, letting his playful side come out usually cheers me up.

Contrast that Bild, a dwarf OC I created, I don't like writing her much. It's not because I don't like the background I made for the character, it's more people's dismissive reaction to her - it's an OC, and a female and people assume that she's one of those 'bad' female OCs before they've even bothered to give the character a chance. Since I worked on her background quite a bit recently, I would like to write her more.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Oh god. I have favorites to the end and back. I feed bad because of it sometimes but only sometimes.

They are what I call my top five:

Alice

Violet

Elizabeth

Jakeai

Mordria

They are each a favorite for one reason or another or specifically because of the trope they fill but they all get my TLC whenever possible (and by TLC I mean mean terrible horrible things that mess up their life).

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My two mainstays, I'd have to say. Each one is fun for their own reason - and so EASY (I feel) to write for. I could do it blindfolded for these two particular characters. They outright live inside of me according to some of my friends.

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

My favorites change regularly... but I certainly have a few characters that will always be near and dear to my heart.

My first RP character, Diziara, is especially dear to me because I've written her the longest. She's gone through so much growth and development over the years, benefiting from my improved writing and from the fleshing out of her family. I joke that she's my Id, but I certainly put into her a lot of the things I would like to see in myself — primarily strength and resilience.

Her daughter, Amelia Waterhouse, is also near and dear to me because she's so light hearted... even though I keep ending up in games that put her in such serious and authoritative positions. She and I have been through some crap both IC and OOC, and instead of associating the bad with her, she's kinda a symbol of not letting that crap chase me out of RP. Also, she's a badass with nunchuks and carries a sonic screwdriver and jelly babies with her all the time, what's not to love?

I could easily rattle on about various members of their family tree too, and to some degree a lot of my characters in the same universe are connected to them somehow... but we'd be here all night. >.< So instead I'll just mention a few that aren't part of their family tree instead:

Zola is my little Ferengi engineer. She's absolutely precious, because she knows her shit and she's most certainly a bit left of center. She absolutely loves Noise Music and is a regular in the San Fransisco club scene where she's known by her trademark shoes: high heels with chicken claws as the heels. The shoes started out as a prank by her academy roommate, and turned into something people recognized her by when she'd show up at the clubs. The Noise DJs just love her to pieces, because when someone with ears like hers comes along and enjoys what you're crafting? Super complement.

Then there's Zhyalla sh'Thrass, my intelligence pilot. She's absolutely crazy. Her call sign is Mercury Lemon, she dyes the tips of her hair orange, and she thinks she's really good with human metaphor... but she so isn't. Z calls people Bubble, she tosses out twisted metaphor and just keeps on rolling like the person who tries to correct her is the one who's wrong. But when push comes to shove, Z is there and ready to get done whatever needs doing.

Now, outside of the Star Trek universe there's Qi. She's in the Firefly 'verse. She went through companion training, only to be refused access to the guild due to her open support of the browncoats in the unification war. After her family rejected her for the shame, she ended up on the rim trying to whore to make ends meet. That didn't work out so well, and she ended up becoming a pilot instead. She's a lot of fun to write because she's got such a sharp tongue, and gotta love cursing in chinese. <3

Honestly, I could probably write a love letter about nearly every single character I've written in an RP on a regular basis.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

I have always had a special place in my heart for my Callahan brothers. Although they have had many "forms" over the years, they really took shape on my Hunger Games site, where I had about 2000 posts for each of them. When I first made them there, however, I hadn't expected the younger one to live through the Hunger Games, but I'm so happy now that he did.

Another of my favorites is my teenage girl who has a "perfect" family, but her parents are actually emotionally abusive. In some sites, she suffers from Munchausen by Proxy.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I use to say that I don't have favourite characters, I love them all but I write which ones the story needs at x moment. Sometimes I can't write a character for one year, but it is not because I like them less, just because the story doesnt focus on their corner of the world now. When it will, I will be glad to write them.

However, there are two characters I used in stories since I was 10 or younger. THese are the first two I brought to a RPG when I discovered that RPGs exist, and I brought them afterwards on various sites, (But I brought others too on various sites,again, depending on what that story needed).

• I read this! 1

On 5/22/2017 at 10:27 PM, Death Kitten said:

Honestly, I could probably write a love letter about nearly every single character I've written in an RP on a regular basis.

Yes! I think I could do this with mine too. With maybe one or two exceptions, lol.

@Uaithne and @Elena, I fail hard at trying to bring my favorites from one setting to another. By the time I get them set up for a new site, often they will feel and play out like completely different people. Do you find your's stay pretty consistent for how you like them to be or do they change a lot too?

Everyone's characters sound fabulous! I love it. I been thinking for a while, and if I had to choose one ultimate, overall favorite character of all my characters ever, I'd have to pick  a boy named Harley. He adored animals, he was ridiculously loving, and he would lick intimate objects and sometime's other people's faces. I originally wrote his mother (who is my second place favorite, maybe it's a family thing). I think what I enjoyed most about the writing was that he would take things at face value and very literally. It was constant misunderstandings, and it made me laugh a lot.

50 minutes ago, firefly said:

Yes! I think I could do this with mine too. With maybe one or two exceptions, lol.

@Uaithne and @Elena, I fail hard at trying to bring my favorites from one setting to another. By the time I get them set up for a new site, often they will feel and play out like completely different people. Do you find your's stay pretty consistent for how you like them to be or do they change a lot too?

I go in with different expectations than just transferring over the exact character, so they are normally consistent with my altered expectations. A change in setting means that they will be faced with different challenges. While I try to make them as close to their previous form as possible, I leave room for growth in other directions. With the aforementioned Callahan brothers, I Incorporated their growth on the Hunger Games site when I made them on my current board. I didn't expect their current start point (development-wise) to be the same start point from when they began on the Hunger Games site seven years ago. Similarly, I knew that I couldn't expect to bring them over exactly where they left off on the HG site.

It also helps if the character hasn't had much development because then you aren't really losing out on anything if they turn out completely different.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I bring them with the same personality, but I adapt their history to the new setting, and I know they will develop in different directions. And this is the fun for me, to see how many things they have experienced in each story.

• Agree 2

I have a few favorite characters that I tend to bring with me to new boards. Their personalities stay largely the same, but I adapt their backstories to fit the setting. 

One personal favorite of mine is Liam. He was originally a mage on a Dragon Age board, and he was such a joy to play. He's one of those characters that are just too kind, always willing to give people the benefit of a doubt, and always willing to sacrifice himself for others. He also has the worst luck which makes me cackle. 

Then there's Jack, a character I have a particular softness for. He's a coward, always willing to do anything to save his own hide, too afraid to get hurt to speak up. He also has a drug habit, and so far he's been forced to go through rehab twice against his own will. I think what is so fun about this guy is that he isn't a badass, he isn't charismatic, he's a poor reader if he can read at all, but behind all that whimpering and cowering (and there's a lot, he's the kind of coward that makes you angry rather than feel pity) there's a quick mind and a dry sense of humour.  

Lastly there's Joan/Billy, they've had some different names but in the end they're always the same person. Someone who doesn't think before they speak, who views laws as a minor inconvenience, and who loves to poke fun at people and see how much they'll take before they snap. They're also always search for a feeling of belonging, of not feeling like a stranger, both among other people and in their own skin. 

• I read this! 3

sig.png

Rayne, my barbarian. She is so much fun for many reasons, not least because she doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything. Really she does, she just took a while to show it IC. ^^

Pics of them in spoilers. ^^

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.dbe1eaecad7b3329299bc4f7f8f95596.png

My other favourite is my elf assassin, Malvae. She is so freaking badass and totally psycho, hehe. I love her and her little blades.

Spoiler

large.57ac98c53253c_Malvae-byInar.jpg.f4

• I read this! 1

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks