Admin Transition & Favoritism

Zahhy

TL:DR This is two questions really:

1) How do you deal with claims of admin favoritism toward yourself as an admin? 

2) What experiences have you had with getting new admin in place of the old, and what were your main concerns, or pain-points while it was happening?

Background:

I'm still only considered a temporary admin on our site while our main Admin figures out how much time they're going to be able to devote to the site. They've been entirely absent in an admin capacity for some time (three months or more) and log in intermediately. There are quite a few loose ends in regards to major plots and site maintenance (like managing the store) that I don't yet have the credentials to edit or manage. I plan on asking for these, but if I get full-admin status, what do you all use as checks for yourself in regards to being an admin?

I bought a store item fair and square with my site credits, but the item says to contact Admin for official details. That would be ME now. How do you all deal with creating fun stories and getting items for your characters without it seeming like favoritism? Should I worry what others might think about me showing favoritism to myself?

In addition to this weird thought of favoritism I'm worried of showing towards myself comes the fact that there may have to be some smudging of story-lines and character adjustments (maybe even major plot-points) if and when we transition the full site to me, particularly because previous admin do not want their characters to be anything more than NPCs. Have any of you experienced admin transitions? What was your experience as an admin or a player? 

• Admin

So with something like this you have one of two options. You can do it yourself or else you can ask a core member to do it for you. Give them their upper limits and tell them to go nuts. That or have a moderator that will do it for you when its your turn to have something done.

For me I'm constantly a a solo admin so I normally use dice or flip coins to determine what scale of crazy I feel is okay to do because you shouldn't miss out on the crazy but you also shouldn't only do the crazy for yourself.

Slider scale it and do it for everyone. Roll a 1-5 (or 1-10) and based on the number (the higher it is the crazier) base your plot idea.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I am not an admin currently, but I have been before on a previous site I no longer play on. I was in the position of being promoted to admin with a couple of other people at the same time. It was a major team overhaul.

Probably my biggest issue was that the previous admin team rolled out some massive changes right before leaving that turned out to be not particularly popular with the members. Every gripe people had about the change was attributed to the new leadership. It was demoralizing and it caused a lot of contention between members and staff. I don’t know if there was any way that my situation could have been handled differently since the changes had already been made before my team took over, but the lesson I took away from it was: build rapport first. Do not roll out changes. Do not instigate new rules. Do not even do an activity check. Build rapport and allow members to get used to the idea of you in a new role. Show them you can be a great admin before you take the game in any new direction.

Along the same lines, understand that you are the one who runs things now and set the standard for how you expect to be treated from the beginning. I know in my game, some members had a really hard time accepting new leadership and for a while the entire team allowed a couple members to really overstep because we were all new to the position. It didn’t stop until we put our collective foot down and told them to stop. Also, don’t beat yourself up (and don’t let anyone else either) if you do things a little differently than a former admin. Different doesn’t mean bad.

As far as claims of favoritism goes, I've always found it simplest to have a set way of doing things or acquiring things on the board, and holding everyone including admin to the same standard. It makes disputing claims of favoritism easy to say “look I earned x by doing y, just like everyone else has the opportunity to do” just like you bought your stuff at the store the way everyone has to. I always tried to set feelings aside and really consider if an accusation might hold some truth, if an action could have been favoritism or construed as favoritism, too. It helps to surround yourself with people who are honest with you rather than take your side in everything too, because these are the people who can point out biases in the way things are handled.

At the end of the day, though, it’s also important to remember that you could be the most unbiased, selfless, martyr of an admin and there will probably still be someone somewhere claiming favoritism. If you’ve done your best to be fair about things, don’t worry about it.

Edited by firefly
  • I read this! 3
  • Agree 2