What are your favorite video games? Or books?

Nox

What video games are you playing?  What are some of your favorites?

I'm currently playing Fallout 4. I love sandbox games, especially ones with a lot of exploration. I'm a big fan of other Bethesda games : the Fallout series and the Elder Scrolls series. The high fantasy setting of the Elder Scrolls is rich with potential, but I love the Atomic 1950s post-apocalypse feel of the Fallout games.

I'm also playing a small, independent game called Sunless Sea, a resource management game with weird Lovecraft overtones.

Some of my past favorites have been:

Deadly Premonition (another sandbox with supernatural aspects)

Psychonauts ( a funny 3d platformer)

Minecraft

Some games on mobile devices

Sims

Bioshock games

A few zombie games

Don't Starve

Some of these gameworlds would make great settings for RP games.

And if not games, what books are you reading?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Fallout (3 and 4) but I don't really think they're great for roleplays simply because it seems like most want to be the sole survivor/lone wanderer/Super Badass. But not everyone can be some X01 power armour wearing dualwielding impending doomball. Plus there is a certain aspect of playing in a written world just makes people want to go play the games themselves. And the graphical element kinda makes Fallout a bit easier to get into, you see whats happening, instant feedback and all. (Also, it's fun to gooify super mutants with plasma weapons even if it makes no. god. damn. sense.)

The Sims is kinda played already... they just call it the "real life" genre.

I've been playing a lot of:

- 20XX and I don't think it'd be a great setting for a roleplay either yet. (Mostly because the game isn't actually finished yet... it's still early access. So we kinda don't know much of the story yet. Who is Ace? Who is Nina? What is the Great Network? Lemonspam or kuuenzan?) Maybe after the game gets released it'd be a great setting... or maybe not.

- Metal Gear Solid 5 also likely wouldn't be a great roleplay because it's somewhat complex and relies on an absolutely massive amount of lore to get into. 

- Earth Defence Force 4.1 might be a great roleplay though it'd be pretty cheesy and full of bugs.

- Borderlands would probably be a great roleplay for a small group, not so much for a huge number of people though. The games are designed around 4 people with unique powers so it'd be perfect for a group of people to play. 

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I try to do Overwatch, but I'm sick of Smurf Accounts and not feeling like i'm actually PLAYING the game.

FFXIV, sometimes.

CRAFT THE WORLD is my single-player-relax obsession of the moment.

Um...that's about all atm, I have a score of stuff that I haven't touched in several months...but I don't have much time to play anything to begin with.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Don't play too many video games but the Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls series are my favourites. Like, I love them a crazy amount. Especially TES. The TES world is probably one of my favourites to write in but sites based on it are practically nonexistant nowadays. 

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I have a few faves, new and old, some I've played to death and can't replay, and more 'fresh'games.

Fallout 3

TES Oblivion

Bioshock 1

Assassin's creed Black Flag, Syndicate

Batman Arkham series

Sacred 2 Fallen Angel

Far Cry 3 & Primal

Persona 4

Tokyo Jungle

FF7 & IX...

Mmyep.

I tend to prefer RPG's, and I've never cared for FPS or RTS. I'd LOVE to love RTS games, but I'm just.. bad at them. sigh;; 

I'm currently playing:

Persona 5 (so stylish and I'm in love <3)

World of Warcraft (on and off, mostly off lately)

Final Fantasy 14 (also on and off, think it's actually cancelled atm but Stormblood soon \o/)

The Old Republic (trying it with a friend, not sure if I'm in love or not. Man what's with all the MMO's I have problems)

My all-time favorite games are:

Final Fantasy 6 (Locke and Celes are my ship for life <3 <3 <3)

Valkyrie Profile (Best BEST random 'oh that looks interesting' purchase I have ever made in my LIFE)

Final Fantasy X-2 (I spend the whole game wanting to slap all three characters, but the combat system is so fun;; )

As far as basing an RP off of them... A Persona game would be so cool. You could make your own Persona, fight with them and a team as mystery unfolds around you. The games have enough of a divide that you could absolutely just play the slice-of-life stuff and not be a Persona user at all if that's your bag, or jump back and forth between slice of life and missions with Personas if you'd rather. Man that would be cool, but likely a lot of work on any potential admin's end. 

FF6, VP, and X-2 I don't know, though. They're all so wrapped around the main characters that you would almost just be a bystander. FF6 possibly, because there are some messed-up changes the world goes through, and there is so much badness in the later portions of the game. Write the main characters out of the story and you could send groups of players on missions to fight the various threats of the game, and make up more when you run out (save for beating the final boss, of course, he'd have to stay Omnipotent God In The Sky to keep the game going) or have players who prefer the day-to-day of playing someone surviving in a world that's dying bit by bit. Potential, but it would require some work to pull off. 

The MMO's would be easiest. Disregard the main story (not everyone can kill Onyxia, or be the big, amazing Hero of Light, like the story paints everyone as) and just play around in the world. 

I've recently started replaying Fallout 1, and I am so in love with it 1000/10 would recommend!

I also enjoy Sims 3 (do not talk to me about Sims 4 ;) ) and any Pokemon game is always well received by me!

promoimg.png 

• 4 months later...

I've been playing a lot of Serious Sam The Second Encounter lately, which is quickly becoming a favorite.  Along with Super Mario Odyssey (New Donk City is amazing)..

My favorites are probably the Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Tales of (Symphonia, Graces F, etc) series, lol.  Oh and Uncharted 2.  All some classic stuff.

• Operations Mod

I am crazy picky about the games that I'm willing to invest in, and I'm almost impossible to please but over the years my favorites are: 

Fallout 3 

Fallout: New Vegas 

- I was just... completely let down by Fallout 4. The game itself is alright if you ignore the over-reaching plot... but said plot is literally just a shitty reversal of the plot from Fallout 3. Overall 3/10 do not recommend. Whole stupid ass game is just a cheap rehash of FO3xMichael Crichton's Westworld. They should have put that effort into New Vegas. 

Skyrim

Metro: 2033

Metro: Last Light 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• 2 weeks later...

Sunny: Recently I've been huge into Dark Souls - it has a seriously awesome story / lore, and it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it!

Souls_400x100_01.jpg

'souls | no wc | character-driven | werecanines | open & active since 2001!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really videogame anymore, but if they didn't tend to take over my life, I would love to go back to playing Taleworld's Mount and Blade series. Videogames are just too addictive for me to incorporate in my life, though. I wish I was able to be moderate about them, but I tend to obsess if I start playing one. 

Edited by Naen

Roleplay, Worldbuilding, Collaborative Storytelling

Freeform fantasy and sci-fi

www.LostPathway.com

mediumwhite.gif.ece0798204374f9a98d33e3e4172468e.gif

My favorite video games, at the moment, are probably a tie between Fallout: New Vegas, Saints Row The Third, Fable III, and Life is Strange (both BTS and the first one).

I used to play Final Fantasy XIV, but didn't have anyone to play with, so I quit. Characters are still there, but I'm not gonna pay $13 when it's no longer fun.

I can't give you the white picket fence, and if I did, you'd set it on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

7 days to die

Conan Exiles

Stellaris

Fallout New Vegas

Fallout 4

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 3 weeks later...

Series: 

Harvest Moon/Rune Factory etc

Suikoden

Fire Emblem

Shin Megami Tensei 

Pokemon

Growlanser

Silent Hill

Individual Games:

Night in the Woods

Legend of Mana

Undertale

Sweet Fuse

Final Fantasy 8

Until Dawn

Reality is an illusion. 

• 3 months later...

I said this already in another thread, but my favorite book of all time is always gonna be Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. It's what got me into reading, and without it, I wouldn't have any of my other favorites! 

As for games, my all-time favorite is Borderlands 2, but Infamous Second Son is a close second. Arkham Asylum, the Uncharted Series, and Injustice are also definitely up there.