Posting Orders?

Sage

12 hours ago, Rune said:

I need an order otherwise it would progress without me and I wouldn't bother trying to jump back in. I've been in situations where two people don't work and they just take over a thread and go on, leaving me in the dust because I'm at work one day and come back to so many posts and the threads gone on that my replying would be pointless.

That's rude :( no post order should always include the courtesy of letting other people actually reply, even if they're going through a busy patch (or in your case...at work.)

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

12 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

That's rude :( no post order should always include the courtesy of letting other people actually reply, even if they're going through a busy patch (or in your case...at work.)

It was a shit board to begin with. Fortunately I haven't encountered that issue in years but I'm also on a board where the entire place is generally busy and appreciates orders.

• 1 month later...

I do both regularly. If there's a combat, we generally use a posting order and decide that beforehand. More often than not, we just post as we can, and check in with each other in IM to see who's going to post next. 

I'm used to informal posting orders in group threads (3+), so there's this incentive to sort of keep to a rhythm. More of a sense of politely waiting for everyone to get a word in before the cycle begins again. If there's a hold up or someone says "Hey, just go on, I'm busy and wont be able to get to it until..." it's easy enough to keep going slowly enough so they can hop back in easily. Or if someone is super inspired and asks if they can just jump the line real quick and if people are cool with it. Basically, communication about who's posting when is useful.

I find strict posting orders tend to hold up threads and the desire to keep posting just fizzles out, but the free for alls are overwhelming and its very easy to get left in the dust.

• I read this! 3

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

I don't believe in post order. It doesn't feel natural that everyone would round-robin talk to each other. You also wind up with people post-splicing to respond to every single thing that was said and both of those factors together annoy me because it doesn't read well (in my opinion!). It also leads to strange presumptions sometimes. Once, I had it happen where it was my turn to make a post, so I said my character waited til someone else was done with their speech/meeting, etc. to respond to a person who had asked mine a question. The player running the meeting presumed my character interrupted their meeting anyway because I had posted.

I prefer to get a feel for when a character would/would not respond and just post then. So, I simply stay in contact with anyone who I'm in a group thread with and ask if they care if I post or waited, etc. If someone goes inactive, we try to contact them to see what's up and ask if it's okay if we post ahead. We also don't presume their character does [things] while they're gone, which I've also seen happen to a friend (another player basically reacted for their character).

I have been on the opposite side of a "no-post-order" thing and got left in the dust in a thread because the two players rapid-fired for thirty minutes while I drove home and they were pages ahead of where I had left off. I had literally told them I was driving home and to give me a sec, but they kept going anyway. Yeah, that felt extremely rude to me.

Key to being RP buddies with me? Communication.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 3

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

Guest Carnival

I usually go by the posting order that's originally set out for the group.  Once everyone has posted the first go-around, then I generally just follow suit until it's my turn unless another player pokes me to go ahead of them.  In the roleplays that I've been involved in, it's sort of an unspoken rule to remain in order, but there have been situations where I've wanted to just go ahead of people because A.) everyone's been waiting a pretty long time already or B.) I've been told to.  I guess it just all depends on that particular group and people since it seems that everyone feels differently or has a different expectation.

For me, it depends on what type of thread it is. If it's a site wide or huge group thread where I'm not replying to everyone but a certain person or people then we have a posting order within that small group and not the thread as a whole. If I'm in a group thread without an event we still have a posting order to make sure everyone gets a turn. The only time I would break it is if one of the players becomes inactive after a certain amount of time.

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +