How much information is to much information?

What I mean is when we join a site we all head right for the plotline, lore, setting, and world information, as well as any species breakdowns. 

Are you willing to read novels of information in order to roleplay somewhere? Is there a point where there is just to much information, to many details, and you're no longer having fun? 

I know that I have issues when things become to technical. If I have to follow levels, items, gadgets, upgrades, and such for one character it has become a text based video game, and I'm no longer enjoying myself. Despite that I do like some structure, as having structure in certain circumstances is the make or break of a roleplay.

How much is to much for you? How much is to little?

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

I like when there's one core you can start from, with the access to a much wider range of things to read further upon as time and desire allows. It should be easy for new and existing players to find this core info quickly and easily.

For example, in a fandom game, the cheat sheet should cover if anything from the fandom's canon isn't including in the game's lore, and cover any key changes from the fandom lore. In an original game, the cheat sheet should cover things like setting, history, etc, to give people a solid idea of where their character will be, and what sort of characters would be a fit in the setting.

So, for my Star Trek game? I outline what I strike from Star Trek hard canon (they seriously made a mess of money, so I strike that and replace it with a TL;DR), list what things from soft canon I allow, and include a timeline of major events between the end of the hard canon timeline and the start of my game. I also need to go back and do a proper summary on the plots we've finished, but that would be considered part of the core too. Then for expansion, I have a wiki were things end up that supplement all that, details like locations we've created for our game, the specs of our ship, tech we've created, more information on events that are included in the timeline, etc.

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

When I'm looking to join a game, how much information I'm willing to read really depends on my mood. Sometimes, I'll really be into settling down with some tea and delving into a whole series'-worth of lore. Other times, I'm impatient and won't get into more than a few minutes of reading something before I move on. So finding a site that caters between those two settings of mine is really hard!

What I really like is when there is lots of lore, there's a TL;DR section. That way I can skim the long text, and then get the gist of it out of a short TL;DR. I can always circle back to that particular article later to get more into the details. Or if the lore is broken up with headings so it's not just a wall of text. That way, I can search for specific things easily without having to read through the whole thing! Because sometimes a TL;DR isn't possible, and this is a nice alternative. And if there are links to each heading at the top of the article I can click on that jump down the page to the right location? That's extra points from me!

But as long as a site has very well laid out, easy to navigate lore where nothing is hidden and I don't have to search for a specific thing, that's usually good enough for me. I don't think there's such a thing as too much information in that regard, but I need to be able to not get lost in it at the same time!

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I am a hypocrite because as a joining member I hate must reads and tend to like... browse and speed read. >_> It's why I mostly do fandoms, I tend to know their settings. :P

For my own site I have too much to read. Everything from general RPing guides to a wiki full of lore. The newcomers guide needs updating too.

Long story short, I am hate to read but make others read. I am awesome, I swears! :P 

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks