Confessions of an overattached Roleplayer

Have you ever had that character....

You know the one. The one who, when they get angry, you get angry? When you write a sad, scared, mad, upset post you cry, get pissed off, upset and angry? Not at the other player, not at their post, but for your character? Have you written a sad post for them and sat there swallowing passed the lump in your throat FOR them?

What are some of your moments when your line blurred between 'author' and 'character mama'?

• I read this! 2

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

"Character mama." XD That's excellent.

I get excited when they live through a horrible event that even I'm not sure they'd live through. The relief, the peace! 

Overall, I don't get too worked up. It takes a lot to get me going. However, sometimes I get so into it that the adrenaline is going and I'm pumped and enthused and just want to write whatever craziness is upon me.

No specific stories at this time, but I'll think and add to it if I come up with something.

WoL___dark01.png

Can't say I've ever been that attached to a character. But to be fair, I've also already planned out most of my characters deaths... so maybe that has something to do with it? 

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I tend to go through the emotional ride with all of my characters - to me it's kind of like acting. I'm just bringing the emotion on so that I can refer to it as I write (if that makes any kind of sense.) I don't really have any memorable stories, but I do know it happens :D

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

All my characters are my babies, even though some of them are older than me XD That being said, I don't think I've ever actually experienced the same feelings that my characters experience when I'm writing them. Mostly, I get excited writing scenes and sometimes anxious to see what my partner writes back to me. Not many memorable stories on my end, either. But I think it's great that you can connect to some of your characters that way!

• I read this! 1
sig1.gif
snb_button.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I've definitely made myself crying writing, or my partner made me cry. I do tend to laugh gleefully when I torture my characters, but every now and then there's something so heartbreaking that tears are running down my face while I punch the keys.

My goal in life is to make someone else reading it cry.

I have no idea if that's happened yet.

• I read this! 1

I find that I pour a lot of myself into my characters as they are more like tiny exaggerated clones of specific parts of me, but that means I often feel exactly what you're describing. xD

I mostly feel this when my characters fall in love. I fall in love too. It's crazy and hopeless and horribly romantic but I do. Sort ofl ike the Hozier song Someone New.

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am far too attached to ALL my characters, but there are a couple that really get to me when I write the emotional stuff for them. I think it's because I have a background in theatre and I feel like I get the most genuine reaction from them this way? Idk, it's like there are some people that can only play a few characters but they do it SO well and then there's people who can warg into anyone the damn well wan to... Some people will never feel the emotions their characters feel and others can't help but let them tug at their heartstrings. 

I had to go and hug my puppy yesterday cause one character got me so upset... :P

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

I actually just wrote a scene for my character who was captured and tortured over the last few months. Her pack leader/best friend found her dumped in the park half dead, and all of the emotions just made me bawl my eyeballs out. I cried EVERY single post. It was so emotionally charged we just sat there spree posting back and forth wildly. Not to mention my stupid youtube tried to kill me with over emotion and this song came on JUST as I read the post with him rushing into the hospital holding her:

That butthead youtube.

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

It varies from character to character. But there are some characters where little pieces of myself spill over. My characters lives and reasons for being the way they are generally very different from mine--but for some of my characters, the emotions end up being real things I've experienced. It often just...comes out, and only after I write do I look back and see it. It's strangely cathartic in a way.

And I have to say I'm the same as Zahhy with characters falling in love. sobs

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as @Kit the Human on this, but to me it doesn't necessary have to do with my personal attachment to my characters. In fact, the one character I'm most attached to is also the one that the most bad things happen to (not my choice, he just has very shitty luck).

SOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo. . . it happens quite often that I wind up crying because my characters are sad, or that I get angry because they are. But, as Kit said, it is just for reference of the feeling.

• I read this! 1

This depends on the character for me, how long they've been around, and the context of the emotional moment. I notice it mostly when I'm really invested in what's happening, good or bad. I don't think I've been driven to tears by RP, but I have been very angry and very sad at things happening. The extra level of seeing it filtered through someone else in the next post also acts as a sort of double whammy, so you're in it with the character, but also seeing it from outside.

I do notice though when it comes to anger, that I think it is written easier or better when I'm reflecting that emotion at the moment too. A manner of dwelling on why the character is angry and having it rebound to me and becoming angry myself. Temporarily adopting the character's mindset, like Josie and Kit the Human said, acting it out.

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carnival

I went through a similar scene where my favorite character of all time was captured and tortured and generally mentally destroyed.  I almost couldn't take it because it was so intense and just....sad, lol.  Another time two characters were jumped when they were walking home and promptly ripped away from each other which got me pretty good too.  I always find myself getting hit in the feels, but I love it because I think it's the best sort of storytelling.  I love it when I feel this way for another person's character too if they've gone through something horrible or emotional. I remember playing out this really wicked scene years back where two characters had gone into a temple to retrieve a mystical item and had to face a variety of temple monsters.  The other player's character almost died at the hands of a chimera, I believe and almost got thrown off a cliff.  It was so intense but so good!