The Creepiness of PBs

Uaithne

I understand where you're coming from with this, but I have to say that the first thing that popped into my head with the title was the thought of using underage playbys. I had to add two different rules to our site about not using anyone under the age of 18+ (we're a mature site, but even if we were the idea just skeeves me out). And even then if someone uses a playby that is 18 or 19 I still kind of cringe.

But honestly, the far off idea that there's a tiny possibility I might meet one of my playbys makes me feel all awkward and weird so I don't like to think about it. lmao

azqw7jG.png

I (stubbornly) refuse to join sites that force a Playby, Casting, whatever-the-fck we want to call the appearance image with the commonly-but-assininely strict rules. I especially don't like the rule of "no repeats", because there's ALWAYS going to be people who look alike in real life and it could make for a zillion fun In-Character notations and plot openings. If that means my sites are forever less than five members, I will gladly push through this "fad" with my "casual" approach preference of "use one if you like, or not use one if you prefer".

I'm pretty sure this is where I tell all the Youngin's to get of my lawn lol

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 2
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

11 hours ago, Samantha said:

But honestly, the far off idea that there's a tiny possibility I might meet one of my playbys makes me feel all awkward and weird so I don't like to think about it. lmao

I use Misha Collins for a face and he only lives a few hours away from me so it could be totally feasible to meet him which would be awesome. Plus he's pretty cool so there's that bonus.

As far as using faces. The only time I've ever found it weird or creepy is when people use minors. Playing minors is another issue I have but that's another story. I've never considered it a big deal and no I don't really like for people to use the same face for different people (this doesn't count if your using movie stills or promotional material such as Jack Sparrow or Edward Scissorhands). People look similar but they're not identical. 

I feel that that people are looking a little too far into the use or other people using them. I don't really see the big deal. Don't use them if you don't want. If it's appropriate for the site use what ever you want. I've never had an issue with people wanting to write with me solely because of the face but if it happened it's a simple matter to say "hey, no." 

• Agree 1

I like having a playby for my characters, it helps me visualize what they look like.  It isn't uncommon for me to create a character after I have seen the celebrity first (I designed one of my favorite characters off of Hugh Jackman's look in Van Helsing and another character off of Jack Nicholson's look in Wolf).  I don't get the whole idea of forcing people take on a playby; seems too controlling especially after you just asked that member to write an application.

What I dislike about having a playby is the drama that could happen when two people want one and they can't agree on a solution.  Another problem is finding the right pictures.  I played a wizard once who looked like Pennywise the clown (it was an odd plot, but he worked for a wizarding circus), it was hard to find a decent picture of him that wasn't horrifying, creepy, or combinations of both.

16 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

As far as using faces. The only time I've ever found it weird or creepy is when people use minors. Playing minors is another issue I have but that's another story.  

I'm right there with you. We've had strict rules in place that no FC under 18 can be used, and we don't even allow character's that are under 18 regardless of the FC age. We're a mature site with a ton of mature topics and the thought of an underage playby or character makes shudder

azqw7jG.png

I totally understand the creepiness concept of using a strangers face to represent your character. 

But like it's been mentioned I treat my characters and their stories like a book and when I apply a PB or a face to them it's like I'm casting that story/book for a movie/tv show. I'm putting a face to my beloved character. Sometimes I work the other way around, I find a PB I like and a character creates itself in my mind. 

I don't get too attached to my PBs like I think someone mentioned there are people who won't join if their PBs are taken etc. I just look for a new face for them or I will pick/create a new character. There are definitely a lot that I recycle but that's only out of habit because I like them and they happen to be available. 

My characters aren't defined by their face, I could just as easily play them without but I think it adds to the fun when other players can actually see the character they're playing opposite. 

I also find it really interesting that PBs are a new concept for so many people because they've been around for me since I very first started RPing in like 2003/2004 everywhere I played people had them. 

Edited by Crossroads Demon
  • I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

I'm in agreement with most everyone here. The idea of a playby had never occurred to me. Like ever. I'd have always imagined someone fictional in my head, created them on my own. I felt like my mind exploded the first time someone showed me a playby, or had a real actor, and not a drawn avatar. That was only 4 years ago!

Now that playbys are a thing though, my paradigm has definitely shifted. After I got over the initial shock and creepiness of picking a real person to PLAY or ACT as the character I had created in my head, it became rather fun. I act like a casting director. I also always use the terms: Playby Inspiration, or Faceclaim Inspiration. My characters are not these actors or models, but they LOOK like them, or I've inspired their look to and from that actor.

I still create characters before I find playbys, but now I find playbys and give them stories too. I have no qualms about using other playbys for my characters if one is taken already. My character is not bound to a face. I also have no issue using underage face-claims for underage characters. I often pick an older actor or model that has been around a long time so I have a variety of pictures, and I can age them up while I play! 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

I prefer setting appropriate faces for this reason, if I see a red carpet picture it creeps me out and ruins immersion a little for me. So movies in the same genre, promo pics for said movie or series, and editorials for models. ^^

• I read this! 1

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

I've been roleplaying for more than 15 years and have joined RPs which required PBs. I'm a visual person and I appreciate knowing what my character looks like or what the character my character is interacting with looks like. Heck, I used to make polyvore sets for my characters' clothes when I had more free time.

A lot of the RP sites I've seen have had rules where they don't allow underage PBs and have banned the faces of celebrities who have asked not to be used. Other than that, I agree with a lot of what the others are saying in that I see it as something like "casting" a face for a character. 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
sig1.gif
snb_button.png

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2017 at 11:09 PM, Uaithne said:

I’d love to use stock images because I’ve seen some rocking stock photos, but now that we all needs avatars, gifs, hovers, templates, applications, etc. . . . it’s just not feasible to do it without using the same picture over and over.  I don’t think there is a “solution” and I’m not really looking for one.  I was just reflecting over my RP experiences, and I recalled how strange it had been to plunge into a world of “real faces” and the culture shock that was associated with it.  I mean, guys, we’re creeps.

Sorry for necroing, but I just wanted to share that's what I'm doing - using stock photos as they have much less... stuff attached to them. Then I wouldn't join a site with too many gifs, hovers and galleries, so once I have an avatar I'm happy.

(There ARE sets of stock photos of the same person, though, so that's not entirely impossible either).

• Thank you 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

I poked my foot into the forum OCs world.... like... a year ago? (Before that I had been doing fandom forums and huge numbers of OCs outside of forums). And I remember FCs being such a confusing slap in the face.

Even to this day, I'll choose basically a random celeb to represent a character (and they rarely reflect the way I see the character in my mind) because to me, when I describe the character in writing... that's the image that is hopefully coming into your head... 

Unlike movies/plays/etc. where casting is a real thing... roleplays don't get to put on contacts, wigs, and make up to make them look right. In truth, I find the whole practice odd -- we're doing roleplays for writing? Why is it so important that my words are surrounded with gifs of a clean, well groomed model when my character is a dirty, cut up barbarian who wears nothing but loin cloths?

Anyway, I remember just staring at a description I had for a character who I was going to adapt and just being confused because I couldn't represent this character properly in FC form -- so my character who was disfigured ... was just going to have to "have a glamour" so that he could look pretty all the time? It really weirded me out...

My biggest issue with FC is that it narrows the appearance options for a character -- especially if you don't want to play a person in their 20's or 30's who perfectly fit modern beauty standards. If you've got a character with any uncommon physical features of any sort, you're basically screwed.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

On 09/09/2017 at 8:56 PM, Thyme said:

I poked my foot into the forum OCs world.... like... a year ago? (Before that I had been doing fandom forums and huge numbers of OCs outside of forums). And I remember FCs being such a confusing slap in the face.

Even to this day, I'll choose basically a random celeb to represent a character (and they rarely reflect the way I see the character in my mind) because to me, when I describe the character in writing... that's the image that is hopefully coming into your head... 

Unlike movies/plays/etc. where casting is a real thing... roleplays don't get to put on contacts, wigs, and make up to make them look right. In truth, I find the whole practice odd -- we're doing roleplays for writing? Why is it so important that my words are surrounded with gifs of a clean, well groomed model when my character is a dirty, cut up barbarian who wears nothing but loin cloths?

Anyway, I remember just staring at a description I had for a character who I was going to adapt and just being confused because I couldn't represent this character properly in FC form -- so my character who was disfigured ... was just going to have to "have a glamour" so that he could look pretty all the time? It really weirded me out...

My biggest issue with FC is that it narrows the appearance options for a character -- especially if you don't want to play a person in their 20's or 30's who perfectly fit modern beauty standards. If you've got a character with any uncommon physical features of any sort, you're basically screwed.

Go figure, there are boards that won't approve your app if your FC isn't pretty enough. Ok, this is an extreme case, but it happens. 

• I read this! 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

• 2 months later...

I am late to this topic. However, it is very interesting so I think I'll weigh in.

We do use avatars at our sites (Nova not forums). It allows galleries. Some people put up only one, others add a large number representing different expressions, clothing styles, etc. Some members don't use a face at all (we have a site avatar we add in those cases). We don't mind original art as long as it matches the look and feel of the site. Because some people do mind their chosen "face" being used on another character, we ask that everyone provide their own and not duplicate.

In the past, our field for listing the credit for the face stated Looks Most Like X as the Character of X. That just proved far too cumbersome so we went back to just having a field labeled Avatar. The overall mindset is still that Character Y looks most like...etc. If people prefer not to use an avatar, we have an alternate physical description field and ask them to provide a little more detail in place of an actual image. We also use our galleries to add other images that round out the character (pets, weapons, homes, favorite jacket, etc.

It's all good!

We do have child characters at our games as NPCs. Our sites are listed as 18+ but not due to an excessive amount of sex and violence. The child characters are an enhancement to our characters with families, not for main story purposes.

I've run the gamut when choosing a face for a character (I am incapable of mastering Photoshop, we have an adversarial relationship). Sometimes the face comes first, sometimes the character. Sometimes it's a trendy celeb, sometimes it's not. I have favorites, but the face is not mixed up in my head with the character I'm writing. It's simply the best visual representation that I can find because I cannot draw and can barely get my site graphics done in PS. I don't care if anyone else thinks the character is cute or hot or not. It suits my vision.

I also see the downside in having a bunch of really attractive faces representing the characters on the site. It's very Hollywood. My take on that is that at all three of my sites, the premise is based on some genre or another from TV, movies, novels, etc., where the characters tend to be bigger than life and rather unreal. However, just because I used Actor X's face for my main guy, I don't expect all the other writers in our group to go "Ooooohhhh. Ahhhhhh."

On the other end of the scale, I have been IC and OOC stalked by persons because of the face I stuck on my character! In one case, I've seen gnats less persistent. Which brings me to a discussion I'll start if no one has yet!

Anyway, use 'em or don't use 'em. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes, pictures are worth a thousand words, sometimes they are just pictures.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Sunny: Since I've mostly played in animal roleplays (been on 'Souls, a werecanine RP for 7 years now), I've never really had that much to do with "play-by"s.  I did join a human roleplay for a little bit, and found the concept really weird and kind of a turn-off.  I don't like the idea of having to use a celebrity to represent my character (especially since I don't really know any, lol).  I prefer to use my imagination to describe my characters, since it is a writing forum, after all.

• I read this! 1

Souls_400x100_01.jpg

'souls | no wc | character-driven | werecanines | open & active since 2001!

I enjoy picking out celebrity faces for my characters, but I do occasionally stop and think about how weird it is. Like if I ever met this person in real life, would I be ashamed if they found out I attached their image to my character? Most of the time, the answer is probably. That being said, I like the ease of having a visual representation of my character for people to imagine. I can do all the legwork in the world to make pretty prose about my character's looks, but most of the writers I random encounter honestly don't care enough to retain any of it, and if they do, then the image is going to be secondary anyway. That said, I absolutely love making gifs for plots and doing photo manipulations. They add extra levels of fun to the game for me. 

My current project has a face claim only because my co-admin asked nicely, but they aren't required by any means. I had no intention of policing it at all. I hate keeping up with lists of crap for other people's characters on a site that should be about their interactions, not their baubles. We slipped in a rule that faces can be shared so long as the original poster agrees, because it is a shame to lock a single face to a character when they maybe have 20 vastly different appearances that could be used. Enforcing one character per face on plots meant to be small communities makes sense to me. If there are only 20 characters in a plot, there isn't a reason to share faces outside of familial. It's all completely relative to the community though. I could easily live with or without, but I like using them, so I choose with.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1