I understand where you're coming from with this, but I have to say that the first thing that popped into my head with the title was the thought of using underage playbys. I had to add two different rules to our site about not using anyone under the age of 18+ (we're a mature site, but even if we were the idea just skeeves me out). And even then if someone uses a playby that is 18 or 19 I still kind of cringe.

But honestly, the far off idea that there's a tiny possibility I might meet one of my playbys makes me feel all awkward and weird so I don't like to think about it. lmao

Awards

I (stubbornly) refuse to join sites that force a Playby, Casting, whatever-the-fck we want to call the appearance image with the commonly-but-assininely strict rules. I especially don't like the rule of "no repeats", because there's ALWAYS going to be people who look alike in real life and it could make for a zillion fun In-Character notations and plot openings. If that means my sites are forever less than five members, I will gladly push through this "fad" with my "casual" approach preference of "use one if you like, or not use one if you prefer".

I'm pretty sure this is where I tell all the Youngin's to get of my lawn lol

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Samantha said:

But honestly, the far off idea that there's a tiny possibility I might meet one of my playbys makes me feel all awkward and weird so I don't like to think about it. lmao

I use Misha Collins for a face and he only lives a few hours away from me so it could be totally feasible to meet him which would be awesome. Plus he's pretty cool so there's that bonus.

As far as using faces. The only time I've ever found it weird or creepy is when people use minors. Playing minors is another issue I have but that's another story. I've never considered it a big deal and no I don't really like for people to use the same face for different people (this doesn't count if your using movie stills or promotional material such as Jack Sparrow or Edward Scissorhands). People look similar but they're not identical. 

I feel that that people are looking a little too far into the use or other people using them. I don't really see the big deal. Don't use them if you don't want. If it's appropriate for the site use what ever you want. I've never had an issue with people wanting to write with me solely because of the face but if it happened it's a simple matter to say "hey, no." 

I like having a playby for my characters, it helps me visualize what they look like.  It isn't uncommon for me to create a character after I have seen the celebrity first (I designed one of my favorite characters off of Hugh Jackman's look in Van Helsing and another character off of Jack Nicholson's look in Wolf).  I don't get the whole idea of forcing people take on a playby; seems too controlling especially after you just asked that member to write an application.

What I dislike about having a playby is the drama that could happen when two people want one and they can't agree on a solution.  Another problem is finding the right pictures.  I played a wizard once who looked like Pennywise the clown (it was an odd plot, but he worked for a wizarding circus), it was hard to find a decent picture of him that wasn't horrifying, creepy, or combinations of both.

Awards

16 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

As far as using faces. The only time I've ever found it weird or creepy is when people use minors. Playing minors is another issue I have but that's another story.  

I'm right there with you. We've had strict rules in place that no FC under 18 can be used, and we don't even allow character's that are under 18 regardless of the FC age. We're a mature site with a ton of mature topics and the thought of an underage playby or character makes shudder

Awards

I totally understand the creepiness concept of using a strangers face to represent your character. 

But like it's been mentioned I treat my characters and their stories like a book and when I apply a PB or a face to them it's like I'm casting that story/book for a movie/tv show. I'm putting a face to my beloved character. Sometimes I work the other way around, I find a PB I like and a character creates itself in my mind. 

I don't get too attached to my PBs like I think someone mentioned there are people who won't join if their PBs are taken etc. I just look for a new face for them or I will pick/create a new character. There are definitely a lot that I recycle but that's only out of habit because I like them and they happen to be available. 

My characters aren't defined by their face, I could just as easily play them without but I think it adds to the fun when other players can actually see the character they're playing opposite. 

I also find it really interesting that PBs are a new concept for so many people because they've been around for me since I very first started RPing in like 2003/2004 everywhere I played people had them. 

Edited by Crossroads Demon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I'm in agreement with most everyone here. The idea of a playby had never occurred to me. Like ever. I'd have always imagined someone fictional in my head, created them on my own. I felt like my mind exploded the first time someone showed me a playby, or had a real actor, and not a drawn avatar. That was only 4 years ago!

Now that playbys are a thing though, my paradigm has definitely shifted. After I got over the initial shock and creepiness of picking a real person to PLAY or ACT as the character I had created in my head, it became rather fun. I act like a casting director. I also always use the terms: Playby Inspiration, or Faceclaim Inspiration. My characters are not these actors or models, but they LOOK like them, or I've inspired their look to and from that actor.

I still create characters before I find playbys, but now I find playbys and give them stories too. I have no qualms about using other playbys for my characters if one is taken already. My character is not bound to a face. I also have no issue using underage face-claims for underage characters. I often pick an older actor or model that has been around a long time so I have a variety of pictures, and I can age them up while I play! 

• Like 1

Awards

I prefer setting appropriate faces for this reason, if I see a red carpet picture it creeps me out and ruins immersion a little for me. So movies in the same genre, promo pics for said movie or series, and editorials for models. ^^

Awards