Nailpolish

Rune

So, I'm a bit of a polish whore. I have over 100 bottles. And keep getting more.

Do you have a favorite brand? A favorite colour? Do you get fancy with your nails? I tend to just do one solid colour with the occasional accent nail.

Sinful Colors are probably my favorite brand, because they're affordable and pretty high quality.

Nail polish hates me. I have oily skin and I am not a delicate person by any measure of the word... so my nails get chipped really fast. There have only been two brands that have held up with any measure of success for me: one was called piggy polish, and they came with little stretchy toe rings because their branding was focused on durable nail polish for your toe nails (of course, my toes always held up better than my hands, even though I tend to go barefoot as much as I possibly can, but whatever). The other is the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel.

I haven't really gone looking lately, but I don't remember the last time I've seen piggy polish anywhere, so who knows if that's still a thing. The Miracle Gel on the other hand? That stuff is in very drug store, and it actually holds up for a long time on my nails. It'll usually get a little wear and tear or a small chip or two within the first twenty-four hours... but dude, it actually still doesn't look half bad a week out, which is amazing for me.

Now if I could make the time to actually clean it off when it starts to look ragged and repaint on the regular, it might be worth the cost for me. I'm just too lazy to maintain it, so I only keep a couple colors kicking around for when I want to indulge myself and paint my nails up. Growing up, I used to buy nail polish all the time, and I had so many colors from so many brands, and I just accepted I had to clean it off and repaint it regularly if I wanted it to look nice.

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I LOVE nail polish, but nail polish does not love me;; It always chips super fast, and I've always attributed that to being on my computer and typing far more than is healthy. But I'm very bad at recognizing brands. I'm all about the colors. I love weird colors <3 Greens and purples seem to be my favorite, or black. Normally I go solid colors, but sometimes I like to add glitter polish or do another color strip along the tip. Last Christmas time I did candy cane nails, which was a huge pain but very pretty.

That being said I'm AWFUL at taking the time to remove the gross chipped polish and redo them. Once I do them I'm done until it flakes off naturally, then I'll do it again. Which is weird, because I LOVE taking the time to do my nails. idk. I'm an enigma.

It's going to chip. I endure the chips. And then do my nails once it's all chipped off. xD Clearcoat helps.

@Death Kitten - If you have the money to splurge the powder or gel you can get from a salon or some of the more expensive brands will last FOREVER. It's great. Though, a bitch to get off.

@Rune When I was younger, my mom paid for me to get acrylic nails a couple times. It was amazing, because the nail polish never ever chipped off, but I'd wear the tips a little from typing. The problem was, again, my oily skin because they'd start to pop off at about the three week point if I didn't get them filled religiously. When the recommended time between fills is four to six weeks, that three weeks or I'm paying for replacement nails on top of the fill price hike is just insane.

I should try the new top/cure coat for the miracle gel, it's thicker than the original formula, maybe it'll hold up even better.

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

@Death Kitten Don't go acrylic, go gel. It's not too expensive and isn't a nail on top of your nail, just the polish directly on your nail but they last SO LONG.

Typing is the bane of all polish. It's such a hard life we lead, torn between two loves!

Edited by Rune
  • Love 1

The other challenge for me is traveling to a place to get it done. I may see if I can make a habit of just stripping and painting my nails once a week with the miracle gel. If I do that regular enough, it would be worth buying more colors. I was eyeing a brass or bronze or some warm metallic color recently.

Truthfully I haven't bought nail polish in months because I've been paying to get mine done.  But when I was buying nail polish I bought Essie or OPI.  Now I get gel done and I have no idea what the brand is my nail person uses.  I have beach nails right now and I've had Mermaid Scales and Butterfly wings and I had a few others ones done that I don't remember.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I bought another color of Miracle Gel today: Bronze & Effect. I blame @Rune!

As much as I know better, for some reason I still do my nails every once in a while. Because my work is extremely hands-on, even the professionally done gel-sealed stuff chips within 3 days max. Because they chip constantly, I normally stick to shimmer colors that you won't notice it with as much - even though I LOVE the darker bold colors.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

1 minute ago, Death Kitten said:

Bronze & Effect

2017-06-24 08.00.22 1.jpg

Oooh I love that colour!  I just got my nails done this afternoon.

IMG_0232.JPG

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

If I stay on top of maintaining my nails, I may do french tip next time. The question is... do I use the green or the grey with bronze tips if I do?

• 4 months later...
Guest BETA BLUE

The nail art is adorable but I am like most. I haven't done my nails since Halloween I'll be lucky to do them for Thanksgiving even more lucky for Christmas. I'm a funky color girl for nail polish. I rather have fun than use boring colors. I don't know why but red just bores me.