Character Limits

My board doesn't do character limits but we do have a posting requirement before you can create a new one. Your first two, however, are on the house. We have popular canons and so with them, you can have two but with a slightly higher posting requirement than originals after that. If you can juggle them all great!

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I put down that additional requests can be made after 3 months. I want new players to get into a groove before taking on too much narrative responsibility. I hate when someone has 12 characters and then disappears into the digital ether, never to be heard from again. It can really muck up other players' storylines, and that's not fair to them.

That said, after 3 months - my rule likewise fades into the digital ether and I do allow unlimited. I just figure if someone sticks around for at least a while, they're probably relatively trustworthy. There's no real initiation besides the first initial 3 month wait. If someone can stick it out for that long, they can have all of the characters. All of the characters in the g.d. world. And my game has 3 worlds. So that's a lot of characters. 😏

I will never join a site with character limits.

When I was a beginning roleplayer on neopets, I was in a guild. I loved creating characters. Siblings, villains, you name it, I made it. I was trying to start a guild plot of the wolf pack vs a cougar clan, so I made a lot of characters to use for this plot. And then the other members made me feel like absolute garbage for it. To the point where they started calling me someone who they'd kicked out of their guild a year prior to me joining, who also liked to make a lot of characters. I remember being so hurt by all of their attacks, because I just wanted to have fun. I was a kid who just wanted to write stories with other people.

I still love to make characters, and as staff I like making extras so I can always have a few on standby in case a new member wants to jump on in and RP. Character limits, for me, restrict my creative juices, and that's just not how I roll.

• I read this! 2

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

I can't say that I've ever had quite that many in a single game, though I've probably had as many spread around a number of games and private settings. However, unlike OP, I can't consistently keep up with so many for an extended period of time. After a while, the muses start to fade or I lose interest or something comes up IRL that limits me on how much time I can dedicate to each character evenly. So by this point in my life, I'm at a place where I prefer to have a character limit because it forces me to consider my character choices more carefully and prevents me from picking up a number I can't manage as well as I think I can in the heat of the moment. 

On the staff side of things, I like having character limits for the same reason (limiting myself) as well as to limit others like me. Then there are the people who cycle through characters even faster than I do. I might include something in the activity section of the rules saying that, if the staff feels like a player isn't properly managing their set of characters (not enough activity, constantly dropping and adding, what have you) we reserve the right to turn down new character applications from that player. It might seem unfair to some, but so is allowing or perpetrating that behavior IMO. Besides, I've never been a fan of people who take up popular canons and/or face claims and then just...sit on them, unused.

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

• 1 month later...

I agree with Uaithne ... In the past, I would only have maybe 2 or 3 characters... and felt stressed by keeping them *active* but over the years, I found that I could carry more characters... and use the ones I needed, and resurrect those that had been idle when I need to...

Of course, I had even been accused of *hording* good Play-Bys... Hording? When I, me myself, too the time and muse to flesh out those characters? Hording? Just because I was active enough to get *involved* when others were lurking??? Oh my apologies, THAT was a pet-peeve I should have posted int he *Pet-Peeve* section.

Anyways... How much is too much? Only I know what will stress me out... and as an *active* member, I do hope the admins will depend upon MY decision to know how many is *too many*

Uaithne You said it much better than I... and Thank you !!

• I read this! 2

“Write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it;

Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it.”

Playerfiles_88x31_icon1.png   

My Personal Site for Roleplaying

gif_LRS_series_88x31.gif ~ 88x31_CdM_RPG_Logo1.jpg ~ sohp_button1_88x31.gif

All three (3) are unique, and inclusive Play-by-Post (P-b-P), 18+, roleplaying communities on Jcink Premium dedicated to the ahistorical fiction of the French Empire during the Napoleonic Era, the Old West Wyoming Territory circa 1872, and the Venetian Empire in the 16th century.  Our emphasis is on welcoming a diverse group of participants, regardless of their background or experience level, with the intent to foster a friendly and enjoyable roleplaying environment by considering ourselves a “work-favorable” group with a "hobby-based" approach to RP with No Word Counts, No Activity Checks, and Easy Applications (or IC Account Profiles). And we encourage members to create diverse characters from different backgrounds, cultures, and social status, enabling a rich and dynamic storytelling environment. ((Our ahistorical fiction forums, are where we deviate from history, even to the disregard of historical facts; with our way being contrary to the perceived idea that the historical genre is non-inclusive and limiting to minority groups and women. ))

Nope. If they exist, I need the ability to obtain more slots. I like making characters for people. I like rolling characters with people. 

Limitations on canons/ranks is one thing. But don't stop me from rolling characters to play with others.

• I read this! 1

@SithLordOfSnark I'm so freaking impressed. Months later.

--

Anyway. I think I'm in the minority here. I don't really mind character limits because I usually have 1-5 characters. I try to make them as diverse as possible to have a whole bunch of options, but if a character doesn't have a constantly moving plot and direction I get bored. (Not to say that other people don't have that with every character, just that I fall apart with characters after 5ish)

Anyway, I guess for me it depends on the activity level. I'm on a site where the admin has 15? Characters and all of them are constantly changing and growing and active. She has favorites, but no one is neglected. But I'm on another site where the admin has 10ish characters and only 4? have current, active threads. It isn't about numbers for me, it's about activity and what constitutes and "active" character? And that's going to depend on the player, staff, and site. 

I don't have limits on number of characters or even character creation on my site. ^^ You can live your dreams, you just have to post with everyone. 

(As a side note, I totally understand limitations in a fandom/panfandom. Mostly because options are more limited and many characters are sought after)

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BETA BLUE

I'm only capped canons that people want like crazy, like Harley Quinn, the Joker, Batman, ect. A member can have up to 3 which is fair considering you don't want someone playing all the major characters and leaving none for anyone else 

I can live with limits, but I'm not a fan. There are some cases where I can see limits being necessary to a plot and other times when I wonder what is the point of limiting growth. My least favourite are limits that are ratio based. You must make at least one of this type of character for every x amount of the other characters you want. I find this most prevalent on Harry Potter sites that do adults and students and they try to force writers to play both. The same thing applies to gender based ratio limits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 9:42 PM, wicked said:

My board doesn't do character limits but we do have a posting requirement before you can create a new one. Your first two, however, are on the house. We have popular canons and so with them, you can have two but with a slightly higher posting requirement than originals after that. If you can juggle them all great!

This is basically the philosophy my site uses. If you can keep up with having 50 characters and are actively participating in things, you go right ahead and do that. I've come to trust everyone to know their limits. I use a small number of posts needed to unlock another character slot just so people aren't taking characters just to sit on them and do nothing but there's no punishment for someone going 'hey, this isn't working like I hoped, can I swap out X for Y' or stuff like that. I think right now my biggest restriction is just that people can't have all of their characters taking up an entire faction, which is both to keep open space for others who want in on said faction and to keep a person from having the problem of only being able to post with themselves.

I used to have limits -- but over time I learned to trust my members to judge what they can and can't handle. So long as you can keep your horde active, and people aren't waiting for posts from characters you've "lost muse" for (it happens), I am okay with you having fifty running around.

Some people are capable of incredible alt-itis. I am not. I like to have a board that is flexible to those who can and want to.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black