Group RP vs 1x1

anthrxmilkshake

First, a Disclaimer...

This is a discussion thread. This thread is not for hate, arguing, upset, pointing blame, or insulting people. 

This thread is specifically for a discussion about the pros and cons of Group roleplay versus One on One roleplay. 

Please keep that in mind when replying here. Respect others opinions as you always do here. <3

We all have our preferences when it comes to roleplay.

Some of us greatly enjoy a good group thread. From the controlled chaos, to the not so controlled confusion. From the unpredictable replies, to the emotional characters. Sometimes a good group thread can be just what you need when you sit down to roleplay. It can be fast paced, or slow going, but it always has interesting corners to turn, and you don't always know what's about to pop out at you.

However, some of us prefer one on one. Be it a thread, an IM, Discord, Google Docs, or what have you. The idea of a one on one thread means more control, less chaos, less confusion. You're capable of turning those corners, but it's less unpredictable and more focused on a couple of character developments. 

What is your preference? Why is this your preference? Are group threads to chaotic for you? Are one on one threads to focused and boring?

W9QVrMj.png

BABOS-A laid back survival roleplay-Coming soon!

I don't really prefer one over the other.  It usually depends on the plot of the thread because sometimes it requires more that one on one and I will go with either.

• I read this! 3

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Yeah, depends on what I have in mind usually.

I like forums because I like having a pool of people to RP with in a set world. But if I just want to do a random fandom ship or dick around in building a world with someone, then I'm all about the 1x1. 

They tend to be simpler since I'm not running an entire forum for them, obviously. But I also tend to forget 1x1s exist since I don't have 16 people staring at me.

I'm pretty sure of all the topics we've covered forums vs 1x1 is the least likely to cause an argument...

Edited by Rune
  • I read this! 2
  • Love 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg

I've always been a 1x1 person because I play in obscure/unpopular fandoms, and original ideas. Private rps allows me to be slow, to go at my natural pace, I don't have to chase after people to get things done.

Also, I don't need to create a whole forum for a 1x11; I use insanejournal communities for my 1x1s, they take me, what, 10 minutes to set up.

I am very much a 1x1 person, whether through various messengers or on forum. Group threads are a HUGE amount of pressure, because I have TWO or MORE people to please. I mean sometimes they're a lot of fun! But it's a lot of commitment for me and I can't always handle it.

I love both tbh. I have about a 50/50 split for them. They both serve a purpose for me, for story and for character, so I encourage both and mixtures on my forums.

• I read this! 1

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

Pretty much what has been said.

I enjoy doing 1v1s through gdocs for the chance to dick around.

I enjoy group (public?) RPs because of the variety of people involved and the more chaotic nature of it.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I think people don't interact only with one person at a time. There are plenty of public settings (work scenes, tavern scenes, fights, street scenes, festivals, parties, etc) when people interact in groups. So group stories can achieve more than individual ones.

• I read this! 1

I'm more of a 1x1 person. I started out doing just 1x1 and just am more comfortable with it.

Every time I join a group, I seem to just... I don't know... not do well, for lack of a better explanation. Or I get really excited, and it turns out the people in the group aren't all that fun to write with. Sometimes a few bad apples can ruin the whole experience. 

I love a good mix of both. I have no preference for one over the other.

Reasons I like 1x1: It's a chance to write exclusively with someone. It's generally gives me a lot more freedom to direct NPC's and engineer the environment. If it's a private 1x1 and not a thread on an RP forum, my writing partner and I can pick the plot premise exactly how we want to set it up and have a lot more influence over it's direction. I don't have to worry about keeping up with unfolding events, because it's literally back and forth turn taking. It really lets me delve deeper into a specific character relationship, and work toward specific plot goals.

Reasons I like group RP: I get more written story to read with less writing effort on my part. More writers means more perspectives, and so more opportunity for unexpected reactions or events. Characters have a chance to explore the dynamics of multiple relationships interacting with each other at one time. I don't have to worry about not having writing chemistry with any one writer, because there are multiple people for all of us to interact with at any given time. It can provide a more realistic sense of chaos in settings where there would be chaos (example: natural disaster).

• I read this! 2

I prefer 1x1 to be honest, though I have found group rp to be fun, too. I usually find that group rps tend to attract too much out of character drama when one person in the group for some reason, decides they just don't like you, or don't want you to be a part of it.

• Agree 1

Doing 1x1 is ok, but I love being part of a group a lot more. It's much more fun, you get to meet new people, and make some new friends. You also get to do some cool stuff, like group events.

• I read this! 1

tumblr_static_6ivdjzzdht44oow80s8gwo44s.gif.f8f02728c35f7b252d20ab38eb44cccb.gif

• 2 months later...

A lot of it, for me, depends on the situation and setting. In journal RP, you can make a group thread that breaks into smaller subgroups in the same post, so you don't have to wade through what other people are doing on the other side of the room/in another area, nor do you have to wait for them to post before your group can, nor do you have to try to figure out the posting order accounting for unrelated groups. You can't really do that in forums. When you split up groups, you either have to wait for everyone to post as they have been, or you have to work with multiple simultaneous posting orders, and that can be confusing. Not to mention, waiting for everyone to take their turn can get lengthy and boring. That's fine for scenes that aren't plot relevant. However, if you're in something like a fight thread, and you have about 14 people who all have to post in order...it's an absolute pain. That's not a random example. And for group scenes where you do have that many, it's so easy for actions or even characters to get lost. In that same scene, almost all of my character's actions and even her presence were ignored. I had to have my two friends specifically point out that she was there and doing things, and even then, the other players glossed over it. So my preference is for 1x1 or small groups.

• I read this! 1

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

I pretty much only do forums. I like the format, and I enjoy that if I can't post as frequently and consistently as I thought I should be able, my RP partner can always RP with someone else.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I really only rp in forums and groups! I never found someone my writing meshed well with where I would consider a completely 1x1 rp until recently, so that concept is new to me. But I like the chaos and unpredictability of groups.

For me, rp isn't just about the writing, it's about the community of writers. When there's a group of people relying on me to keep up my end of the story, I'm more likely to see things through and stick with it. If it's 1x1, I'm more likely to get bored and lose muse. I need the pressure of being 15 replies behind to get my ass into gear. I work really well under pressure xD

But what I like the most about group and forum rps is that I get to explore all sides to a character. Different people bring out different reactions, and I can explore all of those when I've got multiple people writing with me. It helps me get to really know my characters. Not that you can't do that with 1x1, but personally, I find it harder.

• Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon