Gdocs and Dropbox Paper for RPing?

Claire

Do you googledoc?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been using googledocs for years to do 1x1 RPing, but I am curious to see if anyone else uses it to.

Also, what are your experiences using either gdcos or DBPaper? How many docs do you currently have active on there? What sort of things do you write there?

Well, I have three currently - one is a sort of experiment for a plot on my DA forum, another is a Vampire the Masquerade RP (linked to our current tabletop campaign on roll20) and the third is a 1x1 with a new RP buddy (another experiment). That is what I tend to use these for, experiments and 1x1's I don't want anywhere public. I have friends with private forums too, so we use those places for other stuff.

• I read this! 1

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

I only use forums.  It I'm interested in knowing more about how drop box is used for roleplay. I've used Google docs for IRL stuff, so I think I could see how you could RP with that, but I'm unfamiliar with drop box.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

On 7/10/2017 at 7:59 PM, Uaithne said:

It I'm interested in knowing more about how drop box is used for roleplay.

It's dropbox paper I use, which is basically the same as gdocs, but I prefer it for reasons I can't articulate right now, lol. Mostly I think it's because I pay for dropbo xso I trust it more because of the premium service...

On 7/11/2017 at 4:44 AM, Rune said:

I love Gdoc RP. Though, I frequently need a reminder that it exists. xD

Yeah, I am shit at remembering so tend to tell people to poke me in IM when they post, lol. I know there is an alert system in googledocs, I just always forget to configure it, ironically.

coupleofkooks

1 hour ago, Claire said:

It's dropbox paper I use, which is basically the same as gdocs, but I prefer it for reasons I can't articulate right now, lol. Mostly I think it's because I pay for dropbo xso I trust it more because of the premium service...

Yeah, I am shit at remembering so tend to tell people to poke me in IM when they post, lol. I know there is an alert system in googledocs, I just always forget to configure it, ironically.

There's an alert system?!?!

I usually just tell the partner I posted. xD 

• I read this! 1

9 hours ago, Rune said:

There's an alert system?!?!

I usually just tell the partner I posted. xD 

Apparently so!

http://techawakening.org/get-notification-when-any-google-document-edited/3055/

And yeah, I post in IM to tell them, lol.

9 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

I've only used Gdocs once to RP. I've always preferred using the forum, though I could be talked into Gdocs I suppose, it's a lot easier to do super fast threads. 

It's just really good when you don't have a forum for something. I prefer doing this over multi-fandom/genre boards now.

coupleofkooks

• 3 weeks later...

I've done GDoc role-plays before, but to me it was just too messy and it irritated me to no end. I like organization and having everything separated out by posts over having to color-coat it or use ------ to show it. Plus, if you've been having the rp for a longtime, then it becomes too long and it's annoying to scroll through. 

I just prefer forums, but that is my own OCD-like mentality when it comes to organization xD My friend and I used to do email rps which worked for me because it was always separated out!

• Agree 1

jak_sig_2sec_by_accenlia-dbcyqh8.gif

Not all things last... Some thrive in the fire while others die
Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

3 hours ago, Achera said:

I like organization and having everything separated out by posts over having to color-coat it or use ------ to show it.

I actually like the --- lol. Recently another friend started RPing with me on gdocs and she flipped the replies so the long loading did not matter, we always reply on the first page! Seriously, she is a fucking genius! lol

• Great Idea 1

coupleofkooks

• 1 month later...

I've never used DBPaper, so I can only comment on GDocs. I like them for list and info keeping and such, not so much for RP. I prefer something that automatically notifies me when I have a response, and I don't like that people can see what I'm typing as I'm typing it, because my tagging process is weird (jumping paragraphs, moving around to insert/delete). I prefer to type in something like Notepad and copy/paste even into a GDoc when it's finished and less "it makes sense in my head..."

• I read this! 1

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

I use Google Docs as a supplement or addition to my other games. At one time I had at least one constant GDoc role-play going for a pirate campaign that was literally my favorite thing in the whole world, but when that ended things slowed down. I would say I only open GDoc role-plays now on an AS NEEDED basis only and usually for 1 x 1.

1) In the past we've used facebook or google plus groups/ communities as a place for role-play in addition to any tabletop games we've played but social media's strict guidelines of mature content moved much of our games to GDocs. I've also used GDocs for tabletop gaming if a player does a secret mission or misses a few sessions and needs to catch back up without just jumping back in.

2) Sometimes there are certain topics that have upset some of the players in a forum I've been writing on - or we know a particular line of role-play might offend some of our players and merely putting the M tag on things despite Jcink Premium's amazing mature content settings just isn't enough of a barrier. A few of us agree that certain threads that might upset someone in that way should be posted privately for our own fun. We reference the conversations as if they happened on the forum though so it's not a fully secret post, but it's just a little harder to get to for those people we know that might be upset by it.

Edited by Zahhy
  • I read this! 1