What is your minimum font size?

Morrigan

Font size minimum  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

When reading or looking at a site what size font is your absolute minimum. I know that it does depend on the font as well but for a standard font (often sans serif font) what is your minimum size for legibility without straining or zooming?

For me it is 13-14px and when I'm tired/drunk I'll even zoom in on that because it can be straining. So what is your minimum?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Honestly, it really really really depends on the font. Some of the fonts people choose to use are really really shitty, badly kerned and narrow and all together not legible at all. So those even at a 14 or 16pt? Meh, still utterly craptastic. A good font though? I can do okay with 12pt.

But really? I do not want people setting font size in points at all ever. You should be using em for relative sizing. Maybe, maybe, set your starting font size for your regular text, but everything else in your css file absolutely should be relative, and scale relative to your users default font. So that if I'm on a tiny little netbook, my browser font can be set to 10pt but on my 15.6" laptop with the nice high res screen I can set my browser to 14pt default, and not have to zoom in to read even when I'm wide awake and just cleaned my glasses.

TL;DR setting font size by pt needs to die in a fire, em forever!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I never used to have one but I have now decided mine is 12 just because I find it really hard to read anything smaller than that now.

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I said 9 because I can read text in that small a font and ignore the fact that it's that teeny if I'm really interested in a site (therefore my absolute minimum) buuut, only as long the tiny text isn't used for posts. Forum descriptions/plot blurbs under the banner I can get over. 

For posts I like font to be about 12 to prevent eye strain. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Pixels directly correlate with the pixel ratio on the screen. 10px is exactly 10 pixels high on your screen (so if your screen is 1080 pixels tall it would fill up 10 of those 1080 pixels). Em is a relative size to a base size. It scales better than px does (especially on high resolution screens. I actually put a lot of information on responsive design and em here:

• I read this! 2
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Eh, am forced to use 12, but I prefer 16. I am so old, eyes hurt at anything less.

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

11-12pt is my standard font size, but I like to put a font-adjuster on the site when I can so people can scale up or down for themselves.

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

• 4 weeks later...

10 is the smallest I'm comfortable with, though 12 would be better. I don't understand the trend of tiny fonts and next-to-invisible scroll bars. Don't you like being able to see what you're reading and clicking?? It makes me feel old. :/

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

I'm comfortable with reading a 10px font, and even 8px sometimes if I really like what I'm reading. Though I prefer 12-14px if I can help it. But ever since switching to em's, my life has changed for the better. I will always be using this method from now on. 

• You're Welcome 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I have objectively awful vision, but I guess I trained the heck out of it like a weirdo? I often zoom out on sites... O.o so I put 10 cause that's what I can read at 75% zoom on most websites~

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

It depends on the font styling. At 10pt, I can read sans serif much better than serif fonts. I also have an easier time reading dark text on light backgrounds - less strain for me. I know it sounds backwards, since the big trend is light text on dark fields, but... .eugh... no one ever gets the contrast right.

Glub glub.

• 1 month later...

I can read smaller than 12, but if a site has the text smaller than 12 in too many places, then I won't join it. 13 is right around what I would consider ideal, if we're speaking in pixels.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...