Farewell to InvisionFree

VirusZero

According to a recent announcement by Brandon at zathyrus, it looks like zIFboards (formerly Invisionfree) has been acquired by Tapatalk. In light of this users of InvisionFree will be given 2 options: 

1- "Upgrade" to Zetaboards

2- "Upgrade" to Tapatalk's new forum system (seems likely based off phpbb)

This, in short, means InvisionFree is getting killed off. If you have an IF board now, you might want to either get a copy of the database while you can to convert over to JFH (or another software) or at least start backing up your essential stuff for the inevitable transfer or loss of the data.

• I read this! 5
  • Thank you 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Invisionfree doesn't give the database like jcink does. How can I save 4 years' work?

• Thank you 1

• Admin

First off delete your entire advertisements section (first links, link backs anything frivolous and not story relative) and then message them to find out how much it would be to get your database. Once done PM me.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Thank you

Unfortunately to get a copy of the .sql file (or the full database) you do have to pay for it. For a rough idea of the cost, see this. (All prices are in US dollars too. So if you're non-american don't forget about the conversion cost too.)

• Thank you 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• 2 weeks later...

How long do people have? It's been ages since they abandoned it, so this seemed to come out of the blue.

WoL___dark01.png

• Admin

Not really out of the blue. Less software to have to deal with for the new owner. Additionally, IPB 1.3 is over 10 years old and maintaining a software that old is difficult at best. It's uber insecure and whatnot. Yes Jcink uses it but John has been actually updating his which zIF put those resources into Zetaboards.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I have no idea how long until people will have to either pick Zetaboards or Tapatalk. I don't even know if the conversion to Zetaboards even works yet. (They were having issues with it and had disabled it... But there's been no real update on that since Mar 22nd 2017 where they basically said "we'll update you later".) So far they've only said they'd show off a preview before things go live.

Though at this point it's not surprising they want to dump Invisionfree. I'd kinda figured they'd do so much sooner, back closer to when Zetaboards came out. But adoption to Zetaboards was... slow at best. (People didn't really care for it much at first.)

• I read this! 1

Perhaps not entirely out of the blue that they want to ditch it. It just seemed that they ignored it for so long that they'd probably ignore it forever.  I figured that when they brought out ZB, they'd force everyone to upgrade then. When they didn't, it seemed that it was left in a ditch to die on it's own.

WoL___dark01.png