The Marvel Movie Verse

Icewolf

I have dipped into it from time to time, mainly regarding the Thor films, Spider-Man and the X-Men ones. I know the ones containing the Avengers do cross over with each other, (including the Thor ones), but I've not really watched them. As I am going to see the new Spider-Man one soon, I was wondering which of the films I need to watch if I want the cross-overs to make sense, and in which order to watch them in.

Edited by Icewolf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, to understand Spider-man (and X-men) and how the Marvel movie universe works, you have to go back a bit of a ways. 

Marvel at one point was nearly bankrupt and almost went under. In order to save the company they sold the film rights to Spider-man and X-men to Sony. This is years before anyone ever imagined Avengers becoming a movie. 

This is where it gets tricky. Because Sony owned Spider-man and X-men, when Marvel started hitting the box offices with smash hits, well they couldn't use Spider-man (Hence why he isn't in the Avengers and they couldn't use X-men- they couldn't even use the word 'Mutant' - also why different actors were used to portray characters that had already been used in the X-men films.). Until recently, Spider-man and X-men have be a separate universe apart from the Marvel film verse. 

Marvel though was bought out by Disney, and from what I know, Disney has been buying back the film rights. No easy task, as Spider-man is big money. Which I'm pretty sure they were able to do, because Peter showed up in Civil War. I'm not as up to date on the current situation. However, we should see more fluidity as Marvel continues to progress with their movies. 

As for crossover to make sense, I would suggest Civil War, as that is where Peter connects with Tony, but I'm unsure if there is any need to watch any of the others for Homecoming to make sense. Though what Marvel is attempting to build to, may or may not require watching many of the films. As they have connected many of them. I think Marvel does a decent job of explaining most things though. 

Hope you enjoyed the film! And I hope this explains a bit of the mess that Marvel (Disney) is still trying to clean up. 

(I also reserve the right to be wrong- lol.)

Edited by Bamf

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

• 3 months later...

I don't watch a lot of Avengers stuff, but I have seen some movies and parts of others, I think. I saw the recent Thor release and enjoyed it more than most. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy films and expect that they'll be tying into the greater universe soon enough. I know that in the recent Spiderman film, Tony Stark is a character, so they are tied in, now. 

Roleplay, Worldbuilding, Collaborative Storytelling

Freeform fantasy and sci-fi

www.LostPathway.com

mediumwhite.gif.ece0798204374f9a98d33e3e4172468e.gif