Uncharted Territory

CovertSphinx

How often do you guys find yourselves trying out new things in your RPs? By new I mean, almost obscenely different than your "normal" go-to. And how do you FEEL about these new trial characters/situations?

For example, I don't do animal RPs. I might play with a shifter or ani-morph sort of character once in a blue moon, but never (traditionally) a flat-out animal. And I laugh at myself, because now on my new site I'm playing a Cat. A magical cat who creates hauntings in houses, but, a cat nonetheless. It's....strange. And exciting at the same time because I have absolutely have no clue how to make a domesticated pet interactible enough for a successful thread but the challenge gives me purpose to see how much I can push it to work. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

It's a fun change to get out of your comfort zone! Sometimes when I feel I'm starting to stagnate with my writing/characters I try and play a totally new kind of character, or a character who's a totally different from me, while still making it believable. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't--but if I just did the same thing all the time, I'd get bored. :) And sometimes it turns out I like something I never thought I would. In the beginning I thought I wouldn't like romance RPs for example, but now that I've tried I find I actually really enjoy them. 

• I read this! 2

Worst case scenario, you realize the new character type isn't working out, so you have to excuse yourself from plots and threads and ditch the idea. So, hey, why not give new things a try?

That said, I'm a bit of a chicken. I've tried many new things, but these days I tend to be more cautious because I have limited time and don't want to try to invest what little I have into something that's not going to work. I hope to try new stuff whenever I can, and I like to keep an open mind.

Many years ago, I had a ghost dog and it was the best. He talked and stuff, but still dog enough to be different. Now I want to play him again.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png