RP for adults without Premium

Uaithne

I can't afford premium. But I also want to roleplay with adults. Does having a site that's 18+ but doesn't allow adult content due to TOS turn you away from a site?

WoL___dark01.png

I have to work with teenagers, I don't really want to rp with them as well... no offense to any who might see this, but I need that divide. 

Sure I like to be able to have mature content, but honestly it's not the be all and end of rp... normally the maturity of the writing itself rather than the content is the main goal. Once site I'm on is premuim and we've just not had any mature content come up yet. We went premium due to some of the content in the source material...

Edited by Zahara
  • I read this! 1

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

I don't need mature content. I do need to not RP with children. Not having premium isn't a turnoff, but I will hesitate if I see something that isn't 18+. (Doesn't mean I won't consider something that isn't, just means if I can get that somewhere else, I will.)

• I read this! 2

Having premium means nothing to me but that you have the money to spend on it, and I personally find it obnoxious when sites try to use that as a selling point. I don't need R-rated content to have fun. Having premium doesn't automatically mean that everyone who signs up will be 18+, so it does not guarantee that you are playing with adults no more than having a simple "18+ only" rule does.

• I read this! 3

Guest Archaic Cyborg

It depends on what the staff considers 'adult' and how much they'll censor. For instance , some game staff have the 18+ age requirement but don't allow adult content including profanity or general violence.

I need the freedom for my characters to swear and drink alcohol, whereas smut isn't important- unless the game revolves around a brothel or BDSM club, etc.

6 hours ago, Blackjack Bart said:

smut isn't important- unless the game revolves around a brothel or BDSM club, etc.

Even if there is a brothel on a site, the site can be PG-13 and the interaction can be fade to black or glossing over, which is not smut. I have written prostitutes and brothel madames on such sites and I wrote with others, and it was interesting. The brothel was a very popular place, and the fact that the site was PG-13 so there were no explicit scenes was no problem :)

• Love 1

I could care less if a site is Premium or not. I just like to RP with people who are mature and I will look at directories and I have been known to check directories on sites for ages of members when searching for a site to join.

• I read this! 1

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

For me, a site that is heavy in smut is more likely to turn me away from a site (whether it's premium or not, and boards can be self-hosted.). For violence and language, it just depends on the degree of it and how graphic the violence is. If a site is mainly PG-13 but has a board for mature content that wouldn't bother me, but if it was all 'mature' straight off the bat, then I'd pretty much avoid it. This is mainly because of the problems you'd encounter if minors were writing on it and because I want to avoid 18's who are too obsessed with writing sexual content.

In that sense, a board that was mainly made up of over 18's but that had little or no 'mature' content on it due to TOS wouldn't be a put off for me at all - I'd prefer it because I wouldn't have the worry of unknowingly writing inappropriate content with minors and not have to worry about adults pressuring me into writing sexual content.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 1

A lot of people find reprieve in IcyBoards or piggyback hosting.

I feel most people judge a site's age range by a mixture of chatboxes, skin, rules, and forum content.

• Thank you 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I've never had an issue where for me MYSELF joining a site Premium/Not would be an issue: Mainly because I don't particularly RP smut to begin with (aside from RARE occasion). And rarely have boards hindered me in language and violence with ratings.

However, being that now I've made a Jcink site of my own, I feel the pressure in my gut worry that potential members pass it over automatically for the simple reason that it's NOT currently premium. (I have no issue with GOING premium if that becomes integral to the nature of the genre, but it's a waste of money if its only me and one other person on the board ya know?)

• Agree 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I will freely admit that this whole Premium thing is something really new to me and that I only realised by checking out threads like this one. The whole TOS thing was a bit of a newsflash too (oops?) but then my site doesn't go for smut so much as violence, which tends to stay PG-13 anyway (yay, energy weapons?). So Premium does not go into my reasoning for joining a board at all. Ad-blockers exists, after all, so I wouldn't go for one purely because they're adless.

But now that I know, I am worried about not being Premium and how that impacts getting new members. I tend to consider my site as "for adults" in the fact that we're all 20+ and don't really want to be posting with teens for various reasons, but any smut happens in people's private correspondence or elsewhere. I don't really want to go Premium either, because I don't really think it'd be cost efficient for us in the long run.

For me, the look of the forum reigns supreme. If I can't stand looking at it or if I can't navigate easily only some serious incentive can make me join.

• Thank you 1

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

You all are making me feel better about this. I see "Premium" as a selling point all the time, so I'm glad to know that it's just another trend and not something that's going to make or break the board.

• Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

I agree with everyone here. I play with adults on non-premium sites all the time. I got Premium to get rid of ads and to get top priority customer support, but the mature content was a happy bonus and we're enjoying the added freedom, though it won't make or break a board!

Even after we got Premium we sometimes still take the more private or explicit writing to Google Docs anyway, if we think someone on the board will ignore the Restricted Content warnings and won't like what we're posting. It just depends on personal preference and what the site is willing to work with. Just be clear about your restrictions! Most people won't make a fuss either way!

• I read this! 1

I'll admit that I fall under the "never really gave it much thought" gang. As in, I don't really give much thought about the age of whoever I'm posting with - I don't ask, and I don't expect them to tell (And even if they do, how can I be sure they aren't bluffing about their age?). Plus, the sites I run have all been (and will always be) PG-13 in terms of content so there is nothing for me to worry about. Basically, as long as they can entertain me with their plots and characters, and they conduct themselves like reasonable, mature people, then all is fine. The only time I'd ask is if explicit/graphical content may be involved - but considering the PG-13 nature of my site, that's pretty much a moot point.

• I read this! 4

Nah, I mean, fade to black is fine as well. It's the plot of a site and the characters that reel me in, adult members as well preferably.

• I read this! 2

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks