What do You Look for in a Supernatural RP?

Dragon

• Operations Mod

I'm just curious as to what other people look for in supernatural creature-type role plays. This is a pretty broad subject, so for example: 

How much variation do you like to see in character type? Do you prefer a certain mix (i.e. the traditional vampire/werewolf blend), or do you like to have a lot of choices? 

What are your thoughts on lore? Do you prefer things to stay more traditional, or do you like unique spins or type-builds that reach for as much realism as possible? 

Is there a kind of creature that you'd like to see more of on such sites? 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• Admin

I think it really depends on the setup. I've never actually found a supernatural site that fully hits all of my points in a long while. For most it really depends on the person, I'm sure.

I personally don't like going too far outside of the realm of vampires and werewolves because then the creature pool becomes diluted and then you have a 6 to 1 ratio of super creature to human and in most cases where this supernatural realm isn't supposed to exist, is really awkward for humans to be involved in. I've also NEVER found the right mix of hunter types. Often they are controlled by some sort of super code or super government or secret government thing. The fringe hunters "don't exist" in these worlds which makes for playing a hunter constricting and boring.

All in all I know it's a to each their own but if I could find the right mix of things I would be so much more happy.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

These days I don't look at supernatural sites much because the creatures aren't dark enough. Vampires aren't ripping out throats and demons aren't soul-destroying creatures of hell.  Werewolves don't live lives of torment and torture, waiting for the horror that is the full moon to tear their humanity to pieces.

Instead all of the "monsters" are attractive and sexual and desirable.  They say sexy things in the tavern to their "RP partners" and can ignore the vices that define their monster status by nature.  Bloodlust is forgotten for a good conversation and a glass of beer.  The werewolf isn't sweating that it's closing in on the full moon and the wolf part of him is trying to take over - fitting in with the people at the bar is becoming a harder and harder task.  The vampire is mesmerizing a human with lusty and crude words rather than realizing that it's almost dawn and he has to get back home or he's going to die but he's so hungry and he needs to eat and is therefore torn about what to do.  But on most sites, when he does eat, he's licking the blood sexily off his fingers while making some sarcastic remark rather than ripping into somebody's pulsing jugular and tearing the trachea from the neck.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Humans vs. Creature A vs. Creature B sort of sites because they're overdone and repetitive.  Create a compelling plot where they have to work together, or it's not really an issue, or there's something bigger and more important that everyone has to face.

• Preach it! 2

WoL___dark01.png

On 8/15/2017 at 6:39 AM, Uaithne said:

Vampires aren't ripping out throats and demons aren't soul-destroying creatures of hell.  Werewolves don't live lives of torment and torture, waiting for the horror that is the full moon to tear their humanity to pieces.

Yeah, I don't do these creatures without this, so expect to see that at my WIP Vampire the Masquerade site, hehe.

I look for excellent, unique vampire lore. If it is not in depth and awesome enough I pass. Literally the only phantoms I RP in for vamps are Legacy of Kain and World of Darkness, nothing else has come close (though movie wise Blade and Underworld are faves, go figure).

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

Guest Carnival

I honestly look for sites that have a nice, good variety of species to choose from. I don't like to be limited to just the traditional werewolf/vampire side of things, however, I always love it when they are included in the species you can choose from.  I love it when sites include rare species or something that you might not originally think of, such as unicorns, dragons, griffins, etc.  For me, it makes it all the more fun and exciting to really let my imagination run away from me :)

As far as lore goes, I'm all for traditional and for made-up.  Oftentimes I gravitate towards the made-up lores because it's something new and exciting that I've likely never seen before.  New inspires my creativity and also helps me to get more excited and pumped up for the stories I'll be writing.  There's never anything wrong with throwing the traditional in there as well and I often times prefer this.  

The kind of creatures I'd like to see more of are Unicorns (those that can take on human forms) because I don't believe enough sites have these as an option.  

• Operations Mod

This has been pretty helpful so far. My site is in the middle of expanding character types and options, but juggling for balance has been a little difficult. 

Personally, I prefer the more brutal aspects of writing creatures that are considered monsters - but there's a lot about traditional lore that I'm not a big fan of. Like the whole full moon aspect of werewolf lore; I know we're talking about a human being forcibly twisted into a slavering, blood thirsty beast, but why on earth does light reflecting off a big rock have anything to do with that? I mean, what would happen if you stuck a werewolf on the moon? /end mini rant lol

What kind of time periods do you prefer to play with?

I've noticed that there are modern era sites left and right, but medieval based are pretty few and far between. My site partner and our member base have been putting some heavy thought into changing the time period we're operating in, and switching to a medieval type era. Its a decision that needs to be made pretty quick, while 100% of our players are on board but I'd like to have a little confidence that people are looking for that kind of setting before we run with it. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

This is one thing that does interest me, but I am more interested in the mythological aspects of the supernatural. I used to read a lot of urban fantasy/paranormal romance books - an interest which was sparked because of Buffy, I might add. The problem I found, espeaically among female writers of the genre is that it begins to revolve around sex which I got tired of after a while. In the end, the only series that have kept my interest are: The Dresden Files, (I have withdrawal symptoms waiting for the new book in that series), Patrica Briggs' Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega series (though I find the Mercy Thompson ones more engaging), Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series, Tanya Huff's Vicki Nelson series and Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. (I mention the Otherworld series last because although I loved the first books, somewhere around the middle the series started to become less interesting for me and that was due to her having more than one book published a year - they didn't seem to be as good after that.) I lost interest in a lot of series I read because I found the sexual content either unpleasant, over the top (as in, it takes over the entire plot of the book), or I just got bored with it. I wouldn't be interested in a board which revolved around characters pairing up, etc.

So basically, for me to be interested in it, it would have to be something like Buffy, but without the high-school elements (I wouldn't want it turning into Twilight, which is something I very much dislike). It's probably my age showing, but I'm not really interested games that centre around a school. I would also like it to have some familiar elements - Vampires, Werewolves, Witches/Magic Users, Fae, etc. I wouldn't mind it having gods and goddesses in it, as long as it was a mix of things. (As I said, I like the mythological elements of the supernatural.) A game which revolved around Angels and Demons in a preachy, good vs evil religious sort of way would put me off it.

My friend and I were looking into one and honestly I can say diversity? We've found a lot of sites that are weighed to one side [mostly werewolves OR Vampires] there's not a mix of species or supernatural beings. Which makes it seem either 'cliquey' or just one sided. A good mix of your member groups is generally a good thing, I think!

bdNwvS3.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's a combination of things, really. Aesthetics, statistics and ratios, plot, variety, activity, maybe even the name of the place. I like a good variety of species to choose from, because sometimes I get in moods for something specific. For example, recently I was looking for sites where I could play gifted humans (things like telepathy), but in the past I've been more interested in werewolves, and well before that, vampires. But I've never been much for playing witches for some reason, so I tend to avoid games centered around magic. I prefer when there's some good plot going. If it's basically just "modern city slice of life but also people happen to be supernatural," meh. A war behind the scenes, a war at the forefront, some new threat approaching, blatant discrimination in one direction or the other--something noticeable for characters to react to, that's more likely to catch my attention. It doesn't even have to be The Most Original Plot Ever, just something with a juicy plot.

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif