Birthday gifts for members

Robmin

So I think I put this in the right place, I'm trying to build a community feel for my site, and I'm aware its one of my members birthdays. Now normally I'd just put up a thread with a google'd picture of a cake etc, but I'd like to do something a bit extra for the member (and all members if I'm aware its their birthday). The shop system we have allows me to create a) gift codes and b ) mystery item things. Would you find it either as a member in general or as a member receiving such as a gift off putting or not?

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
adminuserbar.png.71315bfc91f356787fd0e77311e6f224.png

I wouldn't. I'd be tickled damn pink honestly. It's a nice gesture and it's nice to be thought of. That's not to say someone else won't think it's off putting but I think it's lovely.

Edited by jenneral_jennson
Typos
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Lovely! I give my members cards, musical dedications and sometimes e-books for their birthdays.

• I read this! 1

I think it's especially nice to get something for your birthday on site! Even if it's just shop items or site currency, it's such a nice gesture and really helps establish a sense of community!

• I read this! 1

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

A forum I was a part of a long time ago used to make graphics for people, so a nice surprise graphic of something they like is a nice idea (and which can only be used by them.) It could be a signature or an avatar. As to whether people would find it off putting or not, I don't know. I suppose it depends on if people are comfortable with sharing their personal info, or not.

• I read this! 1

Oh that sounds neat. The only thing that I've ever thought to do is to make graphics.

I think the only way it would be off-putting is if you made something they didn't want. Like you made a code for a post template for them, but they were comfortable using their old one and now they think they are required to use yours.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

Gift Code for a "freebe" item sounds like a wonderful idea, and the best part is that it doesn't require a whole lot of extra work as an admin to set up. You can easily do it for each member without worrying about something TOO personal, like a specialty avi-siggy set (personal in terms of knowing what the member likes as far as object of focus, color scheme, etc).

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

That is a damn adorable idea. I'd love it if a site did something like that. Though, if you do I'd make it an option for members to let you know when their birthdays were privately so no one's left out!