Heirloom    0

Hey there everyone! I'm new to the Initiative, but I figured I'd still put the question out there to you guys. What kind of interest, if any, would there be in a forum based in an A/B/O (or Omegaverse) setting?

Determining what lore to use out of the many head-cannons would be the biggest hurdle, and of course setting guidelines for what is and isn't permitted since there's a lot of fiction out there and all of it is going in a million different directions. But I was wondering if people would actually be interested in seeing a board like this or if its better kept to the archives of places like AO3 and FF.net. 

Feel free to chime in!

Awards

Rune    1,150

Boards like this pop up every now and then but generally don't go anywhere but it also usually seems to be a lack of admin involvement in getting them off the ground. I figure if you were open abiit what exactly the board entailed and what variety of genre you went with you could find a niche to fill.

Robmin    178

I think the biggest issue will be on how you run this, especially considering most Alpha/Beta/Omega roleplays tend to have a certain level of non consent depending upon the lore used (admittedly this is stuff that I do privately 1 on 1 with a good friend but)

Thyme    33
16 minutes ago, Robmin said:

I think the biggest issue will be on how you run this, especially considering most Alpha/Beta/Omega roleplays tend to have a certain level of non consent depending upon the lore used (admittedly this is stuff that I do privately 1 on 1 with a good friend but)

I think this is true... Maybe part of the application process or part of the OOC process could be basically filling out a limits page or "yes/no" on ABO tropes specific to your site and comfort level with them?

Obviously, you'll have to make it very clear that anything noncon is only IC and NEVER OOC. ._.;

(As a side note, I adore A/B/O, so I'd love to see a well done one~)

• Like 1

Awards

Robmin    178

That's basically what I did (admittedly mine was a Sims A/B/O site because the idea interested me but I couldn't get interest). Also things like Male Omegas... I've kinda got my own headcanon that I prefer to use regardless and that is another limitation I find. People tend to have their own headcanons they prefer to use which is admittedly again a part of the reason I find A/B/O tends to (at least for my comfort levels) be 1x1.

Additional note I'm always up for doing A/B/O privately if its someone I feel comfortable with. I have to actually get to know a person first because its very tied to my comfort levels as to how much I want to risk, especially given I'm normally playing Omega type characters and as thus tend to play a party that's rather... well vulnerable 

Heirloom    0
19 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

So... I'm going to be honest. I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you give some reference? @Heirloom

Sure. ^_^

Essentially A/B/O is a fan-fiction trope in which humanity (generally faced with some sort of population decline) evolves a secondary gender or dynamic in order to combat the lack of births. So in addition to being male/female/nonbianary you also present (generally at about puberty) with a secondary dynamic, Alpha, Beta, or Omega. 

The trope takes its history from the set up of a wolf pack, in which the Alpha is generally an aggressive, dominant personality, a Beta is more even keeled, and an Omega is either bottom of the pack or prized and rare (depending on the writer). In addition to personality hierarchies this trope is more importantly biological, and most often gives Omegas (regardless of gender) the ability to bear children; basically evolution's response to a failing population. Essentially there a lot of sexual nuances and as a few replies have mentioned it does potentially involve a fair number of triggers depending on what your comfort zone is. 

The trope itself is known for non-con and dub-con because Omegas, as part of their biology, experience a heat, like a wolf's heat, several times a year (How many exactly is again dependent on the writer) in which they are overcome by an urgent need to find a mate. Alphas likewise experience a Rut (again, how often is dependent) in which they must take a mate. The non-con/dub-con often comes in during a Heat or Rut when the character in question is potentially out of their normal mindset and overcome by an instinctual drive. A shared heat and or rut opens the door to a mating bite which, in many cases, leads to a bond between the Alpha and the Omega. This bond (which is psychic in nature) is either unbreakable and permanent, or extremely painful and debilitating when broken. This is the sort of thing that might lead to an even more non-con setting, in which a character is bonded against their will. However, Alphas and Omegas may also find their soul mate/pair bond/ life mate which can be unexpected and, as you might imagine, extremely pleasant and ideal.

--

Honestly, I've always been a fan of exploring some of the darker aspects of human nature, so were I to open a site such as this, and given the nature of the lore, it would for sure be a 3-3-3 rated board. I would of course leave it up to any individual player what happens to their character, and any potentially non-con/dub-con actions would be at their discretion and their discretion only. Regardless of the over arching plot or history of the board, no one would be able to dictate what happens to a character besides their player.

In order to appeal to both sides of the Omega trope- being prized and being used- my initial thought would be to set the world in a way that would allow for both types. Perhaps a city in which the middle and upper classes found them to be rare and prized, and therefore they're treated fairly, but a lower class /black market sort of setting beneath the city that might potentially involve slavery and fighting rings for Alphas (given their stereotypical aggressive natures).

But! It's still just an idea, and I'm open to suggestions. Especially if there are people interested in such a setting. 

Awards