Failing in Running a Site

anthrxmilkshake

The first site I ever ran (I think. I had a bad habit at a teen to start a bunch and abandon them) was based on a short novel I wrote that a friend really fell in love with. She wanted me to run it as a game to maybe test out some of my theories and push the boundaries for my rewrite.

It was a great idea except that the people we invited for the major canon players happened to be various IRL boyfriends of hers at different stages of a relationship with her (I had no idea). The drama that ensued IC because of this love star was a mess. We all overcame it for the game though (for a while) and IC we finally came to an amazing conclusion for my friend's character (she demanded to play the main character though now looking back it seemed insane to give the main character of my novel to a non-admin) but my friend decided that it wouldn't be an end and that the character wouldn't die as they had in my novel. She no longer wanted to play out the character death and had her character run away instead.

It ruined the plot of the game, which was a single castle/ small town courtly intrigue style by having us chase after her to lands that were not yet posted in our site lore but had been mentioned briefly in my unpublished novel. She said we should expand it and I opened up the game to the whole world. I went ahead and posted the various regions the character could possibly be and how the main characters were all fighting or working together to find her but I had no way to move the plot forward.

The funny thing is, as soon as I did open the site to all, the boyfriends all found out about one another they left the game and my friend felt like she didn't know anyone on the site anymore and she left too. I tried NPCing her character as a run-away still but the whole thing totally blew up in my face and flopped. To this day I think that even though I had the site running after they all left, many of them sabotaged my efforts to find new players. It was a really hard lesson for me to learn, but now that it was over 10 years ago it feels like a spectacular start.

• I read this! 2

This topic is funny because it speaks to me in so many ways. I love when I can find an RPG that hooks me in and when something on a site doesn't exactly click with me, I seriously start to grumble and think. A lot of the time a site wont let me start with something I really wanted for my character or maybe a thread didn't write out the way I wanted it too. When all of these come together then this is what makes me want to try my own version. Sure, I may be hypocritical when it comes to similarities between RP Boards, but I just can't help myself when it feels like something could have been better.

• I read this! 2

I'm of the mind that only you can decide if your site failed or succeeded. Closing doesn't mean it failed. It doesn't mean you failed. Success is what you make of it.

That said, the only successful site I've ever been a part of is the one I'm on now xD. I don't think I ever really cared much about the sites I've created in the past and I was ok with calling them failures. I once let a site fail because I just didn't like the way I coded the skin and was too lazy to do anything about it. So I just let it die. Not my finest moment. I was also guilty of serial site making. I'd put in all the work to open and then I was so burnt out nothing ever happened with them. Whoops.

• I read this! 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon