How do you feel about RP Lurkers?

Sage

Lurkers drive me crazy and I don't trust most of them because a few weeks after we got a lurker on our site once someone showed me on another site that some of our character apps had been ripped word for freaking word. Yup, if I get lurkers now who actually register I pm them asking what they are doing after a few weeks on no communication and if I don't get a response to the email I delete the account to be safe. None of that theft from my site please. 

I don't mind lurkers, personally. I've lurked on a handful of sites and will continue to do so since I'm not going to be able to join everything that looks interesting, so I sit content with reading their posts. I don't join their communities since people tend to be weary of that kind of stuff, but if people joined my sites with the sole purpose of reading or chatting, I'd be fine with it.

• I read this! 1

Personally, I don't really see why it's a problem. I know we'd all prefer people to participate, but the second best thing is to have return users who get something out of the site, at least. 

• I read this! 1

Roleplay, Worldbuilding, Collaborative Storytelling

Freeform fantasy and sci-fi

www.LostPathway.com

mediumwhite.gif.ece0798204374f9a98d33e3e4172468e.gif

On 9/26/2017 at 1:45 PM, Sage said:

How do you feel about lurkers in your rp? I'm talking about the members who joined the forum (or other form of rp), but never really made the effort to create a character or join in the community. Members who login every few days and just sort of...sit there. Maybe they're reading threads, maybe they're not, but they're just kind of...there. What do you think about them?

I adore lurkers. I love anyone who has an interest in my site, even if they're not willing/in a position to take an active role on it. I've added a "lurker" category to our Discord so that those same people can feel welcome engaging with the community. 

At the end of the day, no one is going to be able to play on as many sites as they'd like to, and lurking is the solution. So I embrace them fully, and I trust that they're not doing anything untoward. I've never had any issues of content stealing, so I see no point in being suspicious.

• I read this! 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

For me, it depends on the circumstance. We had one lurker once upon a time who would continually promise to join and instead, used our cbox like it was twitter. They would constantly update us on what they were doing, and we finally had to come to a point where we were like, "either join or move along." Just not in those words, for obvious reasons. It got to the point where they were driving away other potential members, and it was just... Eh.

I can't give you the white picket fence, and if I did, you'd set it on fire.