Do you tell other admin about problem members?

Rune

Let's say Bob joins your board.

Bob proceeds to cause hell, start fights, and is basically a terrible member. You ban Bob.

You later see Bob on another board. You know it's the same Bob because they have the same characters.

Do you tell the admin about the problems Bob had on your board in an attempt to warn them? Or do you let them find out for themselves?

• I read this! 1

If I know the other admins? I'll totally tell them what I know, then it's up to them if they want to act on it, keep an eye on the trouble player, or just ignore it. If I don't know the admins? Well, they have little to no reason to blindly trust me just because I say I know this person and have had trouble with them. So it's probably not worth the stress.

I mean, I've had trouble where I've had someone harassing me personally, using multiple platforms to do it, and I've approached admin for my own direct safety, and been shut down with 'well, did they do it on *my* board? No? Then I don't care'. So it's not worth the stress unless I think someone's actually going to listen to me.

• I read this! 4

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Operations Mod

Honestly, unless I was personally friends with the other admin I would think it bad form to go on another board and say anything about Bob. At that point it begins to tread the border of harassment, and honestly if another admin came to me out of the blue with something like that then I would assume that the admin in question was probably more a problem than that member, especially if I hadn't had any issues with them yet myself. 

Just because they had a bad run on one board doesn't mean they'll continue. Maybe they learned their lesson and are trying harder to be a better member to their new community. Screwing up on one board doesn't mean they will on another, so is it really fair to stack the deck against them before they've had a chance? 

• I read this! 8
  • Love 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Most of the time I have a laissez-fair, leave-it-alone mentality. I've had problem members that I have banned show up on future boards that I am running, even. I remember them but they've forgotten me (leads me to believe they get banned a lot because I would never forget someone who banned me). I figure, maybe they've matured? Maybe not. I can always deal with them again if need be. I very rarely ban anybody anyways but I figure that in most cases if they aren't on my radar, they aren't my problem, and maybe they won't be anybody's problem.

However, there are a handful of players who have transcended 'problem member' and reached 'ultimate objectionable'. Those players who engage in creepy levels of harassment. The player who posted rape-pics in my cbox. The player who only wanted pedophile plots. These are the sorts of players that I keep logs of, including IP addresses, emails, and screenshots of their behaviour. And if I see those people on a site, even if I am just passing through to drop an ad, then I will probably forward all of that info to the admins. What they do with that info is up to them.

• I read this! 3

Sometimes people will act out one place and fit in another. So, I'd just leave them alone. Different board have different cultures and expectations, they might fit in on this new board. ^^

• I read this! 2
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I agree with what's already been said. I would leave it alone and gtfo asap. But if I was a member on this new board and Bob showed up? Hell yeah I would say something. I wouldn't do anything drastic, but a heads up to the staff team like "Hey, Bob used to be a member on another forum I ran and x, y, and z happened. I don't know that this will happen again, but I just want to make you aware of it and why I won't be interacting with them much." That way, if any drama were to come up in the future with me and Bob, the staff team would already be aware of the background information.

I've had some of my own members and staff come up to me in the past with this sort of thing and I really appreciated it. Nothing ever happened and no drama resulted, but I was able to keep an eye out for any warning signs. It didn't prejudice me against anybody, but it was nice to know. However, if a stranger or admin from another site I didn't know came up to me and said this stuff, I probably wouldn't trust them. So unless you're directly involved with the new site Bob's on, I wouldn't worry.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Okay, to continue this and play off of what @KainZilla said (Holy shit, that is some special level of crazy!) - At what point do you bring it up to another admin?

And, similarly, would you be more inclined to tell someone that is, say, part of The Initiative. 

This is all hypothetical, by the way. I just like seeing how others handle situations.

I've had this same situation before and it's a toss-up because I know that as an admin I'd like to know if they were seriously causing trouble at least to have a warning so I could keep an eye for it ( I probably wouldn't just take another members word for it but at least I'd be on the lookout) but I also know that I have seen troublemaking members on a site I was a member of and brought it up to admins who then turned around and banned me for being a troublemaker for bringing it up. 

I've also brought attention to members I didn't recognize who were being particular levels of crazy to me and other members on and off the site to admin attention and they got angry at me for it so now I just keep my mouth shut. 

FIND ME AT 

4FPvLy.gif jQhijW.png

On 9/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, KainZilla said:

However, there are a handful of players who have transcended 'problem member' and reached 'ultimate objectionable'. Those players who engage in creepy levels of harassment. The player who posted rape-pics in my cbox. The player who only wanted pedophile plots. These are the sorts of players that I keep logs of, including IP addresses, emails, and screenshots of their behaviour. And if I see those people on a site, even if I am just passing through to drop an ad, then I will probably forward all of that info to the admins. What they do with that info is up to them.

This Is would report and not only to other admins but wherever else I could.

If it's just some douchebag who was a douche at my site then no.

[Image: 596681d458799_NewLogo.png.581b0fb709d0e4...420b58.png]

An established, non canon, Dragon Age RP
coupleofkooks

Anything short of outright Internet Stalking and dangerous levels of bullying/harassment I think I would personally leave alone unless I hear that the admin is having a spot of trouble. In which case I would gladly forward anything I find helpful. Regular Jerkward and Troll behaviours I leave alone. 

I've had a few times where issues have crept up, it's been a "he said / she said" matter, and somebody through a private message has contacted me to let me know what happened on another site. To which I would go to said site, ask to speak to an admin about a former member of theres, and confirm the accusations. 

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Most of the time, I wouldn't tell the admin because it can appear that you're the one who is being the trouble maker. I might if I was close to the admin, but otherwise? No.

One of the reasons for that is sometimes you just clash with a particular person. Is it worth drawing out the problem longer and getting into more drama? I don't think so. If someone I had problems with joined a site I was on, I'd avoid threading with them. If they started trouble for me on that site, then I'd report it, but only if they started trouble first. (If you report people you had problems with and they joined a site you were on, and you mentioned it before they started something, it makes you look like the one causing trouble.)

No matter how you might feel about someone, they should be allowed to move on from past mistakes and clashes. Bringing it up can be a form of bullying.If someone is really bad and hasn't changed, they'll end up tripping themselves up anyway and the admin will ban them.

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 2

I complain about yucky people to my RP friend and my husband but for the most part, I try to stay away from the people I don't like... I've never been like, "PSST, hey admins, there's this total weirdo, be on the lookout for them!" Out of common sense, I don't join RPs where they hang out (if I'm aware of them) and if they were to join a RP I was already on... I would probably just ignore them. I don't really think it's my place to say anything unless I know the admin personally.

Reality is an illusion. 

We did this once regarding a member who we reported to the authorities for what they did.

We also occasionally get requests for assistance regarding certain problem people. Which is a pretty difficult prospect when their host can't even give them the tools to properly handle the situation.