featherstone

Van Helsing Hate Crimes

I've seen (lots; too many?) supernatural boards where supernaturals were fighting against each other; vampires vs werewolves vs you name it. Others where they were powerful, enslaving humans and such. More often, they had to hide from humans and hunters, but that was mainly a way to justify a realistic setting.

What about a board, however, in which supernaturals being persecuted is the central concept? Where different species have to band together to survive a common enemy, that is to say a new Inquisition? Some inspiration came from True Blood (with its bigoted hunters), Fantastic Beasts (the anti-wizard policies), Being Human (for the self-help group feel),  however the setting is meant to be original.

I haven't decided the details - I must think to the societal context, and also to which supernatural to have, and how to balance their powers and disadvantages to make them survivable, but still sympathetic.

I'm seriously thinking to do it, however I'd like to know if anyone's in?

I'll repeat my usual technical musts (I would use either Icyboards or piggyback host + MyBB, because of both coding and financial reasons; I don't like faceclaims and I'd like to focus on them as little as possible, or ditch them altogether). So I'm not losing your time if you like the setting but these are dealbreakers.

Other specifics are bargainable and advice are actually welcome.

Spoiler

Awards

I'm sadly not familiar with the fandoms mentioned except fantastic beasts, but I like the idea overarchingly. 

I'm a fan of very few (like 5 or fewer) species to choose from and not an evergrowing species list (mostly because I have never seen it make sense in a setting.) Anyway, I'd be interested to see it, if nothing else. :)

Edited by Thyme
  • Love 1

Awards

Oh, fandoms were mentioned very casually, so don't worry about them at all! I'm going to write "original*" lore for a number of species between 3 and 5, and I'll keep you posted for sure.

* eh, nothing is really "original" in the world of urban fantasy. Let's say that all lore will be on site and won't rely on a canon.

• Like 2

Awards

I've got a ... Creature who probably a home. (He's been a Naga, fairy, siren, and warlock(TMI) in the past) but if you do some kind of ... Dangerously beautiful critter, I'll play him if I join! 

But yeah, keep me posted ^^ 

• Like 1

Awards

Some ideas (still very much WIP, but interesting enough to share).

The setting would be a not so distant future, or maybe an alternate history of our present (I'd keep the dates vague, so it doesn't become obsolete).

Due to technological developments and tighter surveillance, the existence of supernaturals was revealed. After all, it's hard to hide your existence when you shapeshift in front of security cameras, or when your attempts to lure "blood fetishists" in a chatroom gets screenshotted and shared.

What was discovered, however, wasn't a world-wide conspiracy of monsters who secretly controlled the world - indeed, they were more like small scattered groups, or even individuals who barely knew what to do with their powers.

Chaos, of course, ensued. Social and political debates moved from their usual controversies, to the issue of what to do with these creatures. Being our contemporary world, outright genocide didn't sound like a good option in our democracies (although some tyrant surely went that route). Being our contemporary world, however, there was also no lack of people all to eager for someone to hate. All major churches, moreover, agreed that such creatures were demonic in nature, and while most wouldn't officially call for a hunt, some fringe was more proactive than that.

Riots claimed victims on both sides. Authorities were indecisive, taking some action to stop outright, patent aggressions, but being reluctant to protect supernaturals, and actually debating to what extent they still had human rights. Their case wasn't helped by those who were, hm, overzealous in defending their rights - and of course, the occasional witch supremacist was met with a much harsher treatment than whomever invoked burning them at the stake. Because you must please public opinion, of course.

In the end, life settled down to some kind of normalcy. Officially supernaturals are tolerated, but begrudgingly. "Hunters" know they can't act in the open, but their actions won't be investigated that thoroughly. 

As for the species: I was thinking to vampires, werewolves, witches, changelings. None of them are inherently good or evil - they're people in a predicament, to which they'd react according to their personalities. None of them is mandatory lethal (or ridiculously powerful), but all have something disturbing and potentially dangerous. In general, they're -not- at war with each other, actually they have more reasons to be on the same side. However they have different issues and needs, and they'll tend to blame each other on occasion (say, if a species has a higher risk of acting out of control, the others will complain it's their fault if everyone gets a bad name, etc).

Ok, more will follow. Comments are welcome!

Edited by featherstone
  • Like 1

Awards

I love the concept, to be honest. On the board I created of the Supernatural/Modern/Fantasy genre there's a "tentative" peace between worlds (kind of like...Dresden Files or Midnight Texas, or even Lost Girl, Charmed, and countless others where the supernatural world is neatly hidden parallel to normal human society) but it could be shattered at any moment if somebody were to come around with the right ideals to bust the stage lights wide open. I've very excited in seeing how otherworldly creatures might fare as being the persecuted instead.

I'm also curious about "witches" . Are you going to run them as their own special breed of creature, or treat them as a "bridge" between normal and supernatural?

• Like 2

@CovertSphinx witches would be an interesting case, because, unlike others, don't have any drawback other than social and religious stigma. They could just avoid using their powers and live their lives as normal. This also means that normal people tend to be even more suspicious about them, and other supernaturals frown upon them for being too "lucky", etc. I don't think they're an entirely different species. Technically they're humans, but have powers because Reasons. Well, all species are of human origin, one way or another.

• Like 2

Awards

Since you asked for input/ideas/suggestion, I'm going to toss this out there~ I'd love to see a site where all of the species are actually balanced. Where there's a reason to play a human, but also a reason to play a werewolf. 

And that playing a werewolf has consequences/lame stuff. 

Just basically, something that evens all the species out so that you don't walk in and think: "Why would anyone ever play a _____? these things are dumb af."

Edited by Thyme
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Awards

@Thyme thanks, very good point! I hope I can write engaging lore for all species, not only in terms of being cool but in terms of being playable; of coming with issues, quirks and dramas that are interesting to play. If I end up realizing a species would not be fun to play, I'd rather scrap than have something useless on the list.

Indeed, a problem with most sites with 20+ species isn't that their list is long, but that most species are too hard to relate to, or would have very little to do in game, or you can't really understand what they're supposed to be.

As for humans. I'm running a horror game where all chars are human, so they do have a place in a setting that's not just slice of life. I hope I can show even in this case why they'd be interesting to play - although I can understand why, in a supernatural game, most people would like to play a supernatural; not because humans are boring, but because supernaturals are the "specialty" of the setting.

Awards

@featherstone yeah! It came up cause I was reading lore on a site and there were basically species that had all the powers of every other species... And no draw backs. XD and I was like "I see now why there are dozens of that species and NONE of this other one."

• Like 2

Awards

@Thyme that's why I'm some tempted to merge witches and changelings, so you get powers at the price of a traumatic experience, as opposite to a group who has just perks (& bad rep) and another who has a tragic backstory and maybe powers that'd be redundant.

Awards

8 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

Do you want an entirely made up location, or based on real world?

Update - it'll be set in Atlanta since I found a resident willing to answer to my questions (I always jump at the chance of having some RL knowledge available, even though indirect).

Anyway, I registered an account, I'm working on skin, lore, everything... I can't say it'll be ready tomorrow, but it's becoming a thing.

• Like 2

Awards