Recruiting in non-RP communities

Death Kitten

Okay, so this applies more to those of us who RP in a fandom... but does anyone go to communities targeted at your fandom and try recruiting there? I mean, like I run a Star Trek RP, and I'll go hang out on social media with other Trekkies, but they aren't always set up in a way that welcomes RP recruiting without it being disruptive to the group.

Anyone have experience with these sorts of groups and how you can recruit without being disruptive? @Morrigan

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

Obvious thing is to have it in your signature. THat's important. But really I mean if it happens in the flow of conversation or you think that the person might work in your community you can always ask in the thread, "Hey do you mind if I PM you real quick." and pitch it there. It's hard because it really depends on the community on whether it would work or not.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Well, if it's a forum, signature's the obvious solution. But I've also started hanging on a Star Trek discord server, and they're all super nice... but there isn't really a good place on their server to chat about RP... be it just talking about participating, or recruiting people. So it's this weird dance where sometimes people ask about it and some of the people who run happen to be around to chat... and that's less than ideal. We're trying to nudge the admin team to give us a channel on the server, but the two loudest voices on the subject are kinda looking at this very differently. So who knows how it'll work out.

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

Have you considered just outright asking the staff for the room?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

That has been done. It's currently in deliberation. *sigh*

Bring it up in conversation. When hobbies come up "Yeah, I'm an RPer. I actually run a Trek game!" Casually mention it when appropriate. It isn't directly "recruiting" but you're bringing it up and it's in people's heads.

• I read this! 2

Back when I ran fandom RPs (Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon), I advertised on Fanfiction.net, which has a forum function and I actually got quite a number of members that way (especially for FE and Pokemon). It's a pretty good place to find people who are into fandoms as well as writing. 

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

I was actually thinking about this exact thing yesterday. There's a star trek group on facebook my husband added me to, and I was thinking about Linkdroping your RP after seeing that some of the cosplayers liked to make up character backstories to their costumes, but couldn't come up with an idea that wasn't blatant spam-feely lol

As for a room in Discord, has it been pitched perhaps as a Linkdrop room where people can post links to their own fandom work for group members to check out and Fansqueal about together? This way it encompasses more than just RPing and might feel less of a take-away-from-us for the admins.

• I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I think as long as you're a regular in the community and you're not hardcore spamming the chat with your rp, it's fine. I wouldn't think of it as spam or anything. But I like what @CovertSphinx said about pitching it as a linkdrop room instead of just an rp room. If there are voices against the initial idea, this would be a good compromise. 

In the past, I brought up my site, or just rp in general, in conversation and then DM'd anyone who seemed interested. That always seemed easiest to me and less spammy. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I have been looking for an active Tolkien community that has a fan fiction section, but so far, no luck. They are either inactive, or concentrate on the dry 'academic' discussions which don't interest me that much. I think it really depends on the make up of the community that you join as to whether it will work or not. (But some forums do not like people bringing up other sites in the fandom unless they have a specific space for it, so in regards to recruiting, it will depend on the rules they have set up on how you can talk about other sites, but if you feel like you like the site and can fit into it in some way, there is no reason why you shouldn't post there and if you can link your rp site in your profile or signature, you might get some people interested that way.)

Edited by Icewolf
  • I read this! 1

I like this topic.

I am searching for forums to expand my opportunities to find members, but all the relevant forums I find are very, very specific in that they don't allow any form of "advertising," even in signatures and profiles.  Sucks, man.

@Zozma, what's the etiquette for advertising on Fanfiction.net?  Do they tolerate people just making a random thread to drop their roleplay link?  Not many sites are okay with that, so it seems weird.  (Nice, but weird.)

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I wrote up a guide about it a while ago:  

I hope it helps. It's been a while since I've run a fandom game but I believe the FF.net forums still work the same!

• I read this! 3
  • Thank you 1

Reality is an illusion. 

i don't "recruit" in other places, at least not actively. if allowed, i may have my button in a signature, but otherwise i don't advertise outside of designated areas. just because i know it's uncomfortable for me when i can tell someone is trying to hawk their site on me.

once, i joined a fandom discord and i got a couple random dms from people i never even talked to advertising their own server in the same fandom. 

however, if i make friends in a fandom or on a writing community, i'll tell them about my site. usually, if they're interested, they'll ask more about it and we go from there. but something about randomly dropping site links doesn't sit right with me.

Edited by Sophie Hatter

j8KlPp.png 

@Sophie Hatter, it really depends. Some places it's just not cool. But some forums, it's not a big deal because it's more akin to a work of art or fan fiction than it is actually advertising. So it really depends on the community and how they view your roleplay. Also how you pitch it. If you just drop your link, probably won't go over as well as if you're an established member posting in an appropriate area and telling everyone about how roleplays function and how yours is cool.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

21 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

@Sophie Hatter, it really depends. Some places it's just not cool. But some forums, it's not a big deal because it's more akin to a work of art or fan fiction than it is actually advertising. So it really depends on the community and how they view your roleplay. Also how you pitch it. If you just drop your link, probably won't go over as well as if you're an established member posting in an appropriate area and telling everyone about how roleplays function and how yours is cool.

true! i think i've just encountered a lot of people who just come into my messages to advertise and then scoot. 

but if the situation is appropriate, i don't mind it. especially if the topic is on writing or roleplay. i just don't think  i'm very good at it myself.

j8KlPp.png