Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

I think I saw someone say they didn't like discord, you're not riding that train alone buddy lol idk maybe I'm just old school and like my plot page still.

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

Any roleplay community where people don't talk much about RP-related stuff (i.e. plotting, gushing over awesome/funny/feelsy moments in-RP) is sort of a turn-off for me. Now, this by itself isn't a deal-breaker that'd make me leave a site or change my mind about joining. But don't expect much OOC engagement from me with regards to the community if this is the kind of site culture. 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

Custom cursors - I hate them with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Especially ones that are smaller than my default cursor. I have my computer set up a specific way so that I can y'know, USE THE DAMN THING. You with your tiny dot of a cursor are making that difficult AF when I'm on your site. Custom scrollbars I don't mind, custom other thnigs, I don't mind. Just keep your filthy, dirty cursors away from me.

Sites that have entire chunks of text in all caps and a tiny font - I will automatically skip over you if I'm not aware of there being another skin option that is readable. Caps are fine for titles and the like, not an entire thread or entire page.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:27 PM, wicked said:

I think I saw someone say they didn't like discord, you're not riding that train alone buddy lol idk maybe I'm just old school and like my plot page still.

Yesssss!

I don't mind skype, or teamspeak (I -love- teamspeak, personally. Having played MMO games like aion for years, it's amazing) but discord? Ugh.

On 12/20/2017 at 12:52 AM, Mousie said:

My unpopular opinion? So many of the rules and restrictions that are customary just aren't needed. Things have relaxed a lot, but I think there's a tendency to cling to certain rules because "that's how it's done" and not because the admin really believes they're needed. Some of the rules I've axed over the years:

• No characters with the same first name as other characters
  • Minimum word counts
  • Hidden keywords in rules (to prove they were read and understood. Pro tip: even if people don't read them, you can still enforce them)
  • Current real age of play-by needing to be close to the character age (as long as the pictures work, I don't care anymore)
  • Capping certain characteristics, including hair/eye colour
  • Not playing the same character on multiple boards (why should I care? It's work chasing that stuff down)
  • No IC interactions off-board (what doesn't happen on the board may not be canon, but flat-banning it was extreme)
  • Minimum post count to get next character
  • Maximum characters allowed
  • Ridiculous application process to verify special items and skills (reduced to a very basic "is it reasonable?" system)

And so many more. This is why I encourage people to look back on their own rule sets and see if they still resonate. There may be things to cut/change to reflect the admin you are now.

All of this. Also, I enjoy having characters with the same first name on my site. Gives it that extra bit of IC confusion/drama when one of said characters is an abhorrent, evil, buttface. So long as they're easily distinguished and not RPed by the same person, I see nothing wrong with it.

I've also been on some sites with the more overbearing rules. It made things awkward and always, always caused tension of some sort. (And I still occasionally use those characters that were on those sites today.)

On 12/23/2017 at 4:08 PM, kjrod98 said:

I've also been on some sites with the more overbearing rules. It made things awkward and always, always caused tension of some sort. (And I still occasionally use those characters that were on those sites today.)

I can confirm that. I have been on too many of such boards and dealt with too many admins by now who were control-freaks and too bossy for my taste.

I dislike chatspeak.

I have grudgingly started using Discord, but by now I only use it for 1x1 communication with certain people (if that's the way they prefer to stay in contact), not for group chats. And I only use it in a browser, I don't want it on my desktop.

I dislike Discord, mainly because I get easily stressed by fast-moving group chats. For that reason I disliked Skype group chats about as much, and so it's unlikely that I'll join the Discord of this board.

Unfortunately – on more and more boards there's a Discord chat these days, and if you're not active there you become an outsider easily and don't get any plots and nobody is interested in you and your characters. (Some people chat a lot, but hardly write any posts.)

To spend more time chatting than writing posts is not what I want from roleplaying.

I hate smartphones. I tried to handle one for a while, but it drove me crazy, so I put it into a drawer and haven't touched it since. I'm using my old mobile phone again that has got proper buttons on it and is not suitable for access to the internet.

I'm getting old...I'm part of the last generation that didn't grow up with internet and mobile phones – and I miss the good old days of letter writing. I used to have penfriends all over the world when I was 20. It makes me a bit sad sometimes that handwritten letters have almost died out.

I'm glad I'm not a digital native and very nostalgic by now about those days when mobile phones didn't exist yet, and I'm glad I grew up without those devices being ever present. And that's one reason why I rather roleplay in eras that haven't got that technology. Ironically I'm using the internet to do that though, haha.

Probably a very unpopular opinion, but I don't see the point about more than one image (the avatar) in mini-profiles when members can add templates to their posts. I don't mind them (especially when they are hidden), but it is just pointless to me when someone can just go and get a much more proper image in their posts. Why not using the room in the mini-profiles to add more details about the character? 

Edited by ArthurGael
  • I read this! 3

mwBMe5.png

I hate telling players that their characters can't look "alike", or otherwise use the same actor/etc for appearance. I mean, I realize that the rule was probably made so that the board wasn't full of 12 Robert Downy Jr's running around all complimenting each other on their handsomeness or something extreme, but it's terribly limiting to say "Yeah that photo you've used for the last 10 years for that beloved character of yours, you have to either change it or not join because somebody else is using that actor for an appearance reference". 

• I read this! 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 2
  • LOL 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

4 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

I hate telling players that their characters can't look "alike", or otherwise use the same actor/etc for appearance. I mean, I realize that the rule was probably made so that the board wasn't full of 12 Robert Downy Jr's running around all complimenting each other on their handsomeness or something extreme, but it's terribly limiting to say "Yeah that photo you've used for the last 10 years for that beloved character of yours, you have to either change it or not join because somebody else is using that actor for an appearance reference". 

I want to see this now. Just four people all sitting around talking about how they are all handsome.

• I read this! 3
  • LOL 3

Probably more an unpopular opinion about the RP community buuut, as a community of writers, we actually have some control over our tone. We convey emotion and paint pictures with our words, I'm pretty sure we can manage how we come across too! 

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

1 hour ago, Kit the Human said:

Probably more an unpopular opinion about the RP community buuut, as a community of writers, we actually have some control over our tone. We convey emotion and paint pictures with our words, I'm pretty sure we can manage how we come across too! 

Given that no one (that I know of) has complained to Morr about me yet, I'm pretty much proof of this one.

AND THE DICKBAGGERY CONTINUES!

• I read this! 3
  • You're Welcome 1
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Given that no one (that I know of) has complained to Morr about me yet, I'm pretty much proof of this one.

AND THE DICKBAGGERY CONTINUES!

You always struck me as a..... "Lovable Rogue" type. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Just now, CovertSphinx said:

You always struck me as a..... "Lovable Rogue" type. 

Me too. 

• I read this! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

My current unpopular opinions would be:

Plot pages/plotters/shippers. Probably very unpopular. Some sites do use these well. But on sites I've joined or had, they've either been largely ignored or literally useless with people (passively) talking back and forth on how their characters would hypothetically respond to each other and then never threading, ever. 

Dealing with OOC or IC issues through IC rather than the staff talking to the member first. Yeah, I'm not talking about 'IC actions = IC consequences' or tying loose ends IC when a character "disappears" because they or their writer were a problem and the writer went swimming with the fishes. I'm talking more of the passive, indirect problem-solving because the admin cannot spare to be upfront/transparent. 

• I read this! 2

I don't like thin scrollbars.

Is that an unpopular opinion? I don't know. But I've been to too many sites with scrollers that are 5px wide or whatever. Goodbye, site - I can't find the damned scrollbar.

• I read this! 5
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

WoL___dark01.png

3 hours ago, Kullervo said:

My current unpopular opinions would be:

Plot pages/plotters/shippers. Probably very unpopular. Some sites do use these well. But on sites I've joined or had, they've either been largely ignored or literally useless with people (passively) talking back and forth on how their characters would hypothetically respond to each other and then never threading, ever. 

I'm SO bad at them. But I've mostly hit the point where I use them as a placeholder. A vague "Hey! RP with me!" and then I contact them in another method to actually throw ideas out there. 

• I read this! 2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1