Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

1 hour ago, Uaithne said:

I don't like thin scrollbars.

Is that an unpopular opinion? I don't know. But I've been to too many sites with scrollers that are 5px wide or whatever. Goodbye, site - I can't find the damned scrollbar.

If I have to use the scroll bar, I'm done. I either use the wheel on my mouse, or NOPE. So those scroll bars could be hidden, for all I care, as long as there's something that indicates I need to scroll to find everything, then mouse wheel ftw <3

• Preach it! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

6 hours ago, Kullervo said:

My current unpopular opinions would be:

Plot pages/plotters/shippers. Probably very unpopular. Some sites do use these well. But on sites I've joined or had, they've either been largely ignored or literally useless with people (passively) talking back and forth on how their characters would hypothetically respond to each other and then never threading, ever. 

Pet peeve right here. Your theory about random characters is not particularly helpful for actual plotting.

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

12 hours ago, Kullervo said:

Dealing with OOC or IC issues through IC rather than the staff talking to the member first. Yeah, I'm not talking about 'IC actions = IC consequences' or tying loose ends IC when a character "disappears" because they or their writer were a problem and the writer went swimming with the fishes. I'm talking more of the passive, indirect problem-solving because the admin cannot spare to be upfront/transparent. 

You're referring to when someone has an OOC problem with another player (can be member-member or staff-member), but rather than confront the issue in OOC dialogue they choose to try to screw over the problem member in-RP as a means of indirectly saying "fuck you" to them right? 

Edited by Lawman
  • I read this! 1

Elaborate thread templates that take me out the rp. I like simple templates that will align my text neatly however if I'm forced to use one that requires I have a header, four gifs and two lines of song lyrics...I'm out and I love graphics until the end of time ya'll...but no. 

Edited by wicked
  • I read this! 2
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

@wicked amen, but also, why do you need a "simple" template when you can have a skin that does just that (justifying your text, making your paragraphs a certain width etc)?

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

15 minutes ago, featherstone said:

@wicked amen, but also, why do you need a "simple" template when you can have a skin that does just that (justifying your text, making your paragraphs a certain width etc)?

We didn't add it to the skin because we have some members that prefer not to use it or any templates on site which is cool with us. It's the overly flashy ones that we take a strong no on.

• I read this! 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

On 28/12/2017 at 5:46 AM, Lawman said:

You're referring to when someone has an OOC problem with another player (can be member-member or staff-member), but rather than confront the issue in OOC dialogue they choose to try to screw over the problem member in-RP as a means of indirectly saying "fuck you" to them right? 

Pretty much. You're better at wording it than I am! 

I've seen it done by staff (mostly), where there's a rule about 'everything is 100% IC' or 'OOC being dealt IC' to address minor things (inactivity, passiveness, stupidity IC). But it ends up being a way to weed out a member staff don't like or want by manipulating IC. It never works because it's too indirect and a pm or ban would've easily solved the issue. Suppose, it's easy to forget screen names and icons are real people behind them who can actually back! :P

Never happened to me but I seem to fall for where this is popular. 

• Agree 1

I have heard (well, read) many reasons why this happens, and I can even agree on a rational level with some of them, but I always wonder whether or not it's worth joining a site where staff is exempt from any of their rules, even/especially activity rules.

While rationally I understand that staff has on-site jobs/obligations members don't, like preparing events and such, it always rubs me the wrong way that they have a rule they can't follow themselves, but you, as a member, can lose your character and place on the site for not following this rule.

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 1

Shady McShaderson

2 hours ago, Shades said:

I have heard (well, read) many reasons why this happens, and I can even agree on a rational level with some of them, but I always wonder whether or not it's worth joining a site where staff is exempt from any of their rules, even/especially activity rules.

While rationally I understand that staff has on-site jobs/obligations members don't, like preparing events and such, it always rubs me the wrong way that they have a rule they can't follow themselves, but you, as a member, can lose your character and place on the site for not following this rule.

I'm going to second this unpopular opinion. >> I have never understood this rule. My feeling is that an admin is a member who has extra duties. (It's like the President; they are not above the law. They still have to pay taxes; they can't go around murdering people because they're in charge. That's corruption and a mess~)

My unpopular opinion: I actually really like the "literacy" rating scale because I am a little snobby and I don't want to have to teach someone how to roleplay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I don't like sandbox boards.

I've played on my fair share and they always seem to stagnate and die. People just write their ships with a couple writers, the board breaks off into mini cliques based on who's sleeping with who, and nothing ever happens.

I love changing worlds and events that drive the plot and push unlikely characters together. I like stuff happening. I like a setting that evolves over time. Give me your riots and your natural disasters and your wars.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

image.png.f86e26073cdaafb73587b2b54a3de1f2.png

On 12/27/2017 at 6:39 AM, CovertSphinx said:

You always struck me as a..... "Lovable Rogue" type. 

Aww you guys /blush

Aww you guys /blush

Aww you guys /blush

• You're Welcome 1

• 1 month later...
  • I like small fonts - most sites I just zoom out to 80%, larger fonts strain my eyes
  • I don't mind seeing word counts in rules, it's not a deterrent. I just like to know what is expected.
  • I loathe posting templates when they're overly frilly, needing gifs or not built into the code or at least a bbcode option for something simple and clean to just click. Basically, I don't want to do more than write my post. I don't want to copy and paste a code and I certainly don't want to go finding complimentary images.  I also want them wider than 200px tyvm.
  • Personally I like discord for private or gaming use. I don't like discord as the only (or even primary) option as a member/guest - I'm just private, shy and socially inept that I just don't want to walk into a room full of strangers with a screen name I probably don't want to share with people I don't know. 
  • I hate giving pronouns on boards for myself. I'm just at that level of private that likes being that ambiguous weirdo. 
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

I like romantic plots as much as the next person, but tbh.......... they rank pretty low on my list of rp priorities. I don't see why people keep trying to immediately pair off their characters. And I hate, hate, hate relationship drama; I'd prefer any conflict they encounter to come from outside sources. It just seems so petty and boring to me. Idk. Maybe it's because a lot of romantic conflict comes from jealousy and I'm just ...... ???? ??? ????????? about jealousy in relationships. I'm literally dating four people, don't ask me about jealousy, I don't know how it works. For most of my characters, I focus a lot more on non-romantic relations and other types of love. Any romance that happens anymore tends to develop as a result of IC interaction rather than anything pre-planned. 

I despise gifs in layouts. I hate them. I loathe them. They're distracting and unnecessary and there's no point and I hate them so much. They're okay in like, cbox avatars and... that's about it. I also hate post templates mostly because I'm lazy... Also, I'm seconding what someone said earlier in the thread about post templates with tiny scrollboxes. I spend over half of my time on mobile, please no.

• Agree 3
  • Love 1

affbutton.png