Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

I find terms of endearment (honey, sweety, dear) demeaning unless I'm incredibly close with someone. My name's literally written next to everything I type. Call me by that, please. ^^ (It doesn't bother me if someone does it to someone else; like you do you, but oy vey. Do I just kind of short circuit and have to regroup when a stranger calls me 'babe')

• Agree 2
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Here's a real unpopular opinion in the circles I used to rp in.

I despise post tables and templates of any fashion. Partially because I hate how including tables and images and all the "Pretties!" on a forum inevitably means I'm waiting forever on a response because someone is working on a bit of visual art. RP is about writing and not art. Your priority should be writing a post and not fulfilling a request for a photo manip' so you can grind some on-site shoppe points, or whatever...

But really, I just hate tables. Hate everything about 'em. I hate tables with massive images or narrow text fields that stretch out the thread. I hate when people swap out their tables every post or when the mood of the thread changes, I guess?  I hate reading tables. Period. Tiny text, wiggly cursive fonts, multiple fonts, different sized fonts, different sized fonts that collide with the other fonts, clumped up kerning, really spaced kerning, justified alignment that really musses up the kerning, all caps, no caps, no punctuation, non-constrasting colors, non-constrasting colors overlaid on an image, non-contrasting colors overlaid on a moving image, bold drop shadows, non-blurred drop shadows, drop shadows of contrasting colors, fades, glows, sparkles... Raagh! I hate the eye-crossing, painful things people do to their tables to make them "pretty." I find it incredibly rude to post an illegible table in a game in which writing and reading are vital. But most of all - Most of all! - I hate tables with scroll bars, roll-over effects, hovers, or anything else that requires my cursor to linger on that eyesore so that I can attempt to read the post. Anything that requires me to copy and paste the post as plain text into a word document and then still reformat it before I can read it... I find bad tables to be intolerable. Nnnnaaaaagh...

-snort-

• Like 2
  • Love 1

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

It's a sad fact that most of the sites I would have been interested in joining otherwise have an obsession with this. When I was on proboards, I wanted people to use templates because I liked them, but only ones which are designed so they are easy to use (both for the poster working with the code) and for the reader. Unfortunately, people who joined weren't familiar with it so I decided that the best thing to do would be to scrap it. I have the html plugin enabled for me to use on icyboards so I can use templates for site lore (and I've tried to make them as reader-friendly as possible.), but disabled it for members. It just stops the frustration of trying to make sense of code for members, prevents people from feeling like they are inadequate when they know nothing of code/can't make sense of it and also stops people using templates which are difficult to read, scroll through, etc.

I think that site admins, once they've made these codes are reluctant to drop them even they realise they put members off because of the time it takes to find or create them for the site as a lot of people say that they don't like them. I don't know why people keep using them. Creating art I can understand somewhat because being someone who writes original characters, I've asked fan artists to do art for them in the past and it's a nice thing to have for your characters if you can get it done.

Having someone define the play by for a character for someone else to take is a HUGE turn-off. Big enough that I sometimes have the perfect character or concept, but it just puts me off. 😕 

• Preach it! 1

Shady McShaderson

1 hour ago, Shades said:

Having someone define the play by for a character for someone else to take is a HUGE turn-off. Big enough that I sometimes have the perfect character or concept, but it just puts me off. 😕 

Thissssss.

Screw playbys in general though. >.>

I like my posting templates, but only if they're optional and are easy to read and don't fuck up the site's skin. When they do it drives up a wall because it's just rude. They worked hard on the skin for that site. The leasty you could do is not completely break the page with your horribly coded, hard to read, excessive hover, ugly mess.

I don't know if it's necessarily an unpopular opinion (it's probably pretty split down the middle), but I tend to have a deep-seated dislike of canon sites that I can't quite shake. Even if the RP is based on a fandom, I don't like canon characters. I want to RP in that world, not with the characters. Not to mention that most of the time there are canons that are "highly desired," and playing them makes you some kind of special snowflake.

It's not always like that, but there's just something that bugs me about canons in general. I like my OCs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I hate trying to compromise with members if the idea is completely unfitting.

You wanna create a Princess of some lost planet on a cyberpunk RP? I know I should be diplomatic and try to meet half way, but no. Some ideas are just so ridiculous that I will flat out deny. If you want to make a Princess, go join a medieval fantasy site. Don't try to force it onto mine.

• Preach it! 4

On 5/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, CovertSphinx said:

I have come to hate having to Age-Verify to access the OOC/Minor-friendly content on a site. 

Recently our site has been forced to re-enable this because of a problem with spam bots and I can't help but worry people will judge us for making their lives more difficult when advertising. 

Unpopular opinion:  I can't stand joining a site Discord and finding that they have 72 different channels. I know you think that you're making it easier by assigning channels to every possible function but really you're just forcing me to spend ten minutes muting EVERYTHING. 

• Preach it! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Post Templates are wack with a capital W. I'm on a site that has a standardized one built into the skin, and that's much better.

I think the whole app process is outdated. A simple profile app is probably the best move. The main thing that makes apps relevant nowadays is OCs in fantasy/superhero settings with super unique powers that need to be haggled over to fit on whatever site they're integrating.

• I read this! 1

E5zAKhe.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I hate face claims. I've never liked having to use a picture to describe my character... I mean, you're a writer. Can't you... I dunno... WRITE the description?

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

• 3 weeks later...

My unpopular opinion most definitely is that you don't need an advertising forum. We don't have one and do well without it. It took hating them just enough to kick off our forum without them. And we have not regretted it. 

• Love 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png