Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

I don't mind members asking questions. If something often needs clarifying, it doesn't necessarily mean that the members haven't done their reading - it means I haven't done a good enough job of writing my documentation. 

You CAN change a person's mind about the kinds of sites they'll join. 

• Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I'm not a fan of face claims, personally. 😧 I know they're popular but I just don't get it! I prefer to see illustrations.

• Agree 3

2vyeCC8.jpg

RULESBEGINNER'S GUIDELOREADVERTISING

We're a 3-3-3 freeform medieval fantasy RPG! Come have some coffee (or ale) with us and have a good time! <:

I am done with players who whine 'cut me some slack, will ya' through a 2nd or 3rd party because they're too busy to bother talking with me directly- AND the issue is that said writer is inconsistent with their posts to a story thread.

It leave me having to decide which complaint is more legitimate- said writer's or the other writers who are complaining about the inconsistency and the person throwing off the story.

• Agree 1

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I too am not a fan of first person stories. It goes against the rule of Show Don't Tell. I've seen too many writers skirt around this because "it's first person". it is far too easy to get away with.

• I read this! 1

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

23 hours ago, Archivist said:

I too am not a fan of first person stories. It goes against the rule of Show Don't Tell. I've seen too many writers skirt around this because "it's first person". it is far too easy to get away with.

I was coming here to post this one, haha. 

I'm not too concerned about "Show Don't Tell" -- I think that good writers can find ways to Tell while still making it interesting -- but first person RP annoys me a lot. In a group or thread where many people are posting, it's quite jarring when the perspective switches from 3rd person to 1st person back to 3rd person as each player participates in the thread. Even if all of the posts are in 1st person, it's a bit of a whiplash to move between the internal monologue of so many characters while reading through it. I much prefer 3rd person when it comes to an RP setting.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Preach it! 2

• 5 weeks later...

My unpopular opinion is that I think staff shouldn't act like they're above the members. 😕 Bruh literally every single one of us is here to have fun, just be kind and talk to people like they're your equals - not like they're your kids or employees.

(ofc it's one thing to call yourself a 'site mom' - and another thing entirely to talk down to your members.)

• Love 1

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, Penny said:

My unpopular opinion is that I think staff shouldn't act like they're above the members. 😕 Bruh literally every single one of us is here to have fun, just be kind and talk to people like they're your equals - not like they're your kids or employees.

(ofc it's one thing to call yourself a 'site mom' - and another thing entirely to talk down to your members.)

I'm not sure this is an unpopular opinion- I think everyone wants to be treated respectfully and doesn't like it when others go on a power trip. But I agree, nonetheless.

On a similar note: I think that forums are a community, and that it is the job of all members to participate in its upkeep. If you lived in a home with other people, it'd be rude of you to leave your dishes lying around and expect someone else to pick up after you all the time- I think it's rude to do the same thing on a forum, figuratively speaking. However, this is sometimes difficult to achieve as a member because there is much which is not within your power.

As well: when admins don't trust members with simple tasks.

Edited by Josie
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

1. Staff should act like they are equal to members, not above them. 

2. When new people are applying and the staff does something like "Too busy playing X GAME" but then complain nobody is joining or sticking around. RL is one thing. Ignoring the site because you found a diff hobby and then complaining people should deal with it? Nah, buddy, they came to roleplay. 😂If you aren't going to give them the means to, I don't blame them for going elsewhere!

3. I have trouble with first-person writing. There are many great first-person writers out there, I just don't want any threads with them. 

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized this last night while idly surfing Instagram. I was checking out the official Instagram for The Umbrella Academy, which I follow. Then in the comments were roleplayers. 

It didnt surprise me to see roleplayers on Instagram but it did strike me as an inconvenient form of rp. Anyway what they were writing made me... cringe hard core. Like I was shriveling into myself at their role plays. 

And that’s when I realized it’s happened. I’ve finally hit that no-go with canon characters. Which is funny and sad at the same time; I started with canons in fandoms. But I guess now I just can’t deal with it. It’s like seeing a book I like become a bad movie. Their vision does not mesh with the vision I know. Their vision and their arbitrary headcanons are rejected by my subconscious. 

So I guess what im saying is goodbye canon roleplay. You were fun while it lasted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Reality is an illusion. 

• 3 months later...

I cut back on subforums A LOT. 

Cut as much as I could. Subforum for a million types of claims? A subforum for each little establishment under a certain district? Nope, stuck them all in webpages with their little blurbs of information. Cleaned up my ACP, leaves less clicking for members once they know the gist of locations and they can ask if they're unsure. Only subforums I really have are archives where I sort everything by OOC and Year and member subforums. 

Punted subforums halfway across the field. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1

Restrictions placed on any form of available character without a way to earn more of the same hinder character creation and cripple your site. 

Example: You have a site that had royals and commoners. Every player is only allowed 1 royal... But in your world of 10 countries you only have 3 royals being played and 6 members total... Why not allow your players to earn a second one? You don't need to save things like this for mysterious future members, especially when they've sat empty for months or years. Just put the restrictions behind a wall and make people climb it to earn more if that's what they have their hearts set on and you are determined to have limits. 

• Preach it! 4