Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

Do you have any unpopular opinions regarding RP?

I actually like using Discord. I like it when sites have a cbox too where guests can go, but I actually don't mind when sites have a discord and they have that 'we're more active in the discord chat come join us'. 

I also like, dare I say prefer, boards that provide specific table template(s) to use. I'm lazy, I'm not a good coder, please provide me with a copy paste option to make my life easier.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I really hate signatures in RP forums. Not so much resource forums like here. They just look so untidy? They can be all different sizes and some people use them so don't. They really mess with my OCD.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

I don't think discord is that unpopular of an opinion these days, and the titan bot that gives a website to discord bridge helps some of the more grumbly people. But I've been long into offsite chat before discord took over rp chat. Cbox is crap on my phone, and I do a lot of my socializing and management of my game from my phone.

Okay, unpopular opinion here? Forums are crap for rp. You are shoving all your info into the forum, you have to make extensions and mods to get them to do the things you want. Give me Nova and a wiki any day, please and thank you 😘 (Though I'll give a nod to those who install a wiki side by side with a forum, or use something like ips that's a content management system with a forum included)

• I read this! 3
  • Cheers 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I love Discord! Most of my RPers are gamers, so we just naturally migrated there once Skype was too bloated and buggy for our liking.

Also, I hate signatures too. I turn them off so that I don't have to see them.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

Glub glub.

• Admin

I actually stopped using signatures for my characters like 5 years ago. I don't think it's untidy but just unnecessary to me personally? And since I browse mobile a lot they just get in the way.

I'd say I have a lot but I think the one that is sorta on the fence, it really depends on who you are talking to (and to me that's not the people here on the Initiative) but Pronouns that are in the app/mini-profile. If my character thinks yours looks like a dude but they're a girl then she's going to call them a dude. I may respect the player but its meta-gaming to have a character OOCly respond with appropriate pronouns at any given time when they don't know for sure.

I've had some of the most fun roleplaying out confusions like that. Hell one of my characters says she has more balls than most men but she's damn proud to be a woman and one of her best friends calls her boys names (to be fair she calls him girls names).

@Dragon

• I read this! 4
  • Cheers 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Dang, this makes me think.  I have a lot of opinions (as I'm sure many of you have figured out) but I think that though they may be unpopular with one crowd, they're popular with another.  So I guess I'll have to focus less on RPG Initiative's general consensus and focus on the RP community as a whole.

I really, really don't like big and bulky CFS / HTML templates.  I feel like I'm zooming in on the site and that I have to scroll extra in order to get in all of the information that I need.  It's too much.  It overwhelms me, and I don't find anything appealing in it, no matter how well constructed it is.  I like concise, though nice looking, layouts.

• I read this! 5
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I can't stand stupidly-pretty skins and unnecessarily complex additives. I know the general "rule of thumb" is that the more work a skin looks like it took to make the less likely an administration is going to abandon it, however I believe that to be a gilded marketing trick (read as bullshit). There's "looking good", and then there's "HELLLOOO, FORUM~ You don't have a functioning brain but, wowzee, what a 12!"

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I guess my most unpopular opinion in the roleplay sphere would be that I think trigger warnings, as they're typically used here, are pointless. I'm not going to get into the why I think this because I've already done so several times in various places. (If you're really keen on seeing my opinion on them... search posts I've made with the term trigger, you'll find my thoughts pretty quickly.) 

Beyond that I'm not super fond of the rpg-rating system. I think it still suffers from several problems that the MPAA system had in it's term. (People don't really know what PG-13 means... the same holds true of anything in between all 0 and all 3.) Which means it's not all that useful. Especially since people can self-rate. So that means a person can rate whatever they want but not end up having that rating reflect what their site actually is/allows. Couple that problem with the fact that others have different ideas what is allowed at each level and we're back to the same problem as the MPAA system. 

In essence all they've done with this rpg rating system is replaced once flawed system with a new one that suffers from the exact same issue. Plus added the adoption issue. 

(I'd also point out that anyone who did the PG-15 nonsense only made things worse. People already have a hard time with PG and PG-13. So to add yet another, unofficial, rating to the mix is both stupid and confusing. The only one who has any inkling of what that means is the creator and even then, in my experience, it's basically just an attempt to get an R rating by the Terms of Service.)

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 2
  • Love 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Actually unpopular?  I hate Discord.  Everywhere I've been (shit, even Reddit) loves Discord, but I hate hate hate it.  I'm not even 100% sure why, it's just... too much.  And when on an Rp forum, I feel like it often serves to distract people from doing their replies.  A Cbox (without a notification noise or whatever, just the old school ones) is passive, provides a place for chatting, and is far less likely to draw attention away from writing than what basically amounts to chatroom thingy.  I dunno, I'm old and cantankerous.

I've also noticed a lot of people saying sites with too much lore put them off, but I love lore!  Gimme gimme gimme!!  As long as it's written well and clearly, and there's a way to easily navigate/find the information you're looking for, I am SO IN.  I will read ALL THE THINGS.  I will sit and read a novel of lore and love every second.  The more background I have to go on, the deeper and more fitting a character I can make! :)

Edit: Another one!  I love lots of IC boards to Rp in.  As long as there's not too much on the main page (I think 6 or so is my limit), I love having locations broken down into more specific places.  Say, a medieval city board.  Having a sub-board for a tavern, another for the castle (or whatever), and maybe one or two for outlying areas... right up my alley.

My own site has 6 main IC boards (the lands of the 5 nations, and the unclaimed territories), with 4 sub-boards each, and a couple of those have their own sub-boards (for the rulers' dwellings, usually, or plot-specific locations).  Totally my jam.

Edited by Frankerz
ADD
  • Cheers 2
  • Preach it! 1

I want very very few, very very well-created species in a supernatural site

I prefer to have five or fewer playable species (usually I prefer exclusively human or exclusively (insert animal here) )

I love characters that have animal-like traits (like dog/cat tails or ears, snake eyes, etc.; a tendency to growl, whimper, purr, etc.)

I love bbcode (and hate dohtml)

I hate every hover in the whole world (except mini profiles. Those are fine.)

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

12 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

I hate IC C-Boxes and think they kill sites, but everyone seems to want them.

i hate ic cboxes, too, mostly because i don't see the point of them on sites where you can text/call/im and rapidfire. plus, i like having records of my rp

my unpopular (maybe) opinion - i don't really see the point of activity checks that are just "post your name and you're saved." that's not checking activity, and the people who check in but haven't been posting the rest of the month will just go on not posting. it's so much easier to give warnings to anyone close to going inactive and if they don't post, archive them.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 2

j8KlPp.png 

• Admin
9 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

“Mary Lou”, “Gary Stu” characters. Who cares? Real life people are like that more than you know. 

Can I just say how in love with you I am right now?

• I read this! 4

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.