Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

• 1 month later...

Most of my old unpopular opinions seem to be more popular these days. Such as word counts and tiny fonts. 

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Being historically accurate in a historical RPG. Such an unpopular opinion when you should be allowed to pull a character's history right out of your a** >.<

Please don't get me started on strobing avatars and signatures!

Edited by Dusty
to show the sarcasm
  • I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

I find Discord/Skype/etc infuriating for 99% of things. Cboxes at least don't pester me about a site when I'm not actively online.

• I read this! 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I hate Skype with a burning passion, so I can relate. I like Discord, though, but I don't receive any notifications on my phone (they're all off).

My probably unpopular opinion: Rushing people for posts sucks and should be a crime.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 2

Shady McShaderson

17 hours ago, Shades said:

My probably unpopular opinion: Rushing people for posts sucks and should be a crime.

Mine in exchange: having to wait every time for a post for more than 2-3 weeks is a crime too... Better reminding them and persuading them to post more regularly...

• I read this! 3

Just now, Elena said:

Mine in exchange: having to wait every time for a post for more than 2-3 weeks is a crime too... Better reminding them and persuading them to post more regularly...

I would say there's a difference between reminding someone and rushing them, provided you knew in advance they were not fast posters (I forgot to add this to  my previous comment). If someone tells you they can post once a week, it's rude to demand they post every day. Just like, on the other side, it's rude to promise daily posts and not deliver without talking to your partner.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 3

Shady McShaderson

"Not a fast poster" has limits though. I can wait one month for a post if you have a problem/ leave of absence. But waiting each time for 2-3+ weeks... how can the story progress?

(And no, daily posts not necessary either. Weekly are perfectly OK.)

Edited by Elena
  • Agree 1

It does, but the choice is not roleplaying with the person. If their speed does not match yours. I personally happen to think communication is key, since roleplaying is a social hobby, people need to know what the other can offer and decide accordingly. I personally post within one-two weeks, but not everyone does. So it's all about what one can offer and what the other deems acceptable.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

Shady McShaderson

I'm slow as hell. But I also have a thread for nearly every one of my 50+ characters, plus admin stuff. PLUS real life. I try not to be, but sometimes I just get gutpunched and take forever.

Don't require anyone to thread with me, of course. But I also don't generally mind someone going "Hey, is this thread on your list?" every now and then. The second it becomes "I need a reply to this post" or "When is that going to happen" I start strangling people.

As for an unpopular opinion: People expecting a site to tick off every one of their very specific checkboxes. You want a RL with a plot 500+ word count, with your 16 specific faces open, no app, shipper template provided, no AC, 30+ posts every day, fewer than 20 members and aren't willing to negotiate? Well, good luck finding something then because I'm pretty sure what you want doesn't exist.

The opinion here is that asking too much isn't being hopeful, it's being needy.

• I read this! 5
  • Preach it! 1

12 hours ago, Elena said:

"Not a fast poster" has limits though. I can wait one month for a post if you have a problem/ leave of absence. But waiting each time for 2-3+ weeks... how can the story progress?

(And no, daily posts not necessary either. Weekly are perfectly OK.)

You're similar to me. I need to feel things are advancing otherwise it starts to feel stale. This is where finding people who jive with you is important even if, from experience, it can be difficult. C'est la vie. 

I don't think it has to be a "take it or leave it". I'm willing to adapt to a slower pace. I am the only member (non-staff) on a site which moves once a month, if lucky. I love the site, I am not leaving. But if posts were more frequent, a lot would've developed since. Not much has happened in the span of my six months. Characters are still in the acquaintance stage, the story is still at its beginning. Emotionally, I'm way ahead of it.

But I usually never remind anyone to post. I find it can be obnoxious. At most, I may ask "is this thread still going?" But even as a "fast" writer, I need to be asked that because I can be busy or forget. 

Edited by Heath
  • I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

On 10/22/2017 at 4:01 AM, CovertSphinx said:

Writing smut scenes bores me. 

Thank you. Sometimes it can be hilarious character development too---but mostly I'm there yawning. There are only so many ways you can describe certain acts. Or maybe I'm not creative enough... I dunno. I once had a character fall asleep mid-act because I needed something interesting to happen. (This was in MMO RP and the player rage-quit the scene)

On 12/16/2017 at 5:44 AM, SithLordOfSnark said:

I don't date my posts. They don't put out.

Quoted because I ugly snort-laughed.

My unpopular opinion? So many of the rules and restrictions that are customary just aren't needed. Things have relaxed a lot, but I think there's a tendency to cling to certain rules because "that's how it's done" and not because the admin really believes they're needed. Some of the rules I've axed over the years:

• No characters with the same first name as other characters
  • Minimum word counts
  • Hidden keywords in rules (to prove they were read and understood. Pro tip: even if people don't read them, you can still enforce them)
  • Current real age of play-by needing to be close to the character age (as long as the pictures work, I don't care anymore)
  • Capping certain characteristics, including hair/eye colour
  • Not playing the same character on multiple boards (why should I care? It's work chasing that stuff down)
  • No IC interactions off-board (what doesn't happen on the board may not be canon, but flat-banning it was extreme)
  • Minimum post count to get next character
  • Maximum characters allowed
  • Ridiculous application process to verify special items and skills (reduced to a very basic "is it reasonable?" system)

And so many more. This is why I encourage people to look back on their own rule sets and see if they still resonate. There may be things to cut/change to reflect the admin you are now.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

5 hours ago, Mousie said:

My unpopular opinion? So many of the rules and restrictions that are customary just aren't needed. Things have relaxed a lot, but I think there's a tendency to cling to certain rules because "that's how it's done" and not because the admin really believes they're needed. Some of the rules I've axed over the years:

• No characters with the same first name as other characters
  • Minimum word counts
  • Hidden keywords in rules (to prove they were read and understood. Pro tip: even if people don't read them, you can still enforce them)
  • Current real age of play-by needing to be close to the character age (as long as the pictures work, I don't care anymore)
  • Capping certain characteristics, including hair/eye colour
  • Not playing the same character on multiple boards (why should I care? It's work chasing that stuff down)
  • No IC interactions off-board (what doesn't happen on the board may not be canon, but flat-banning it was extreme)
  • Minimum post count to get next character
  • Maximum characters allowed
  • Ridiculous application process to verify special items and skills (reduced to a very basic "is it reasonable?" system)

Most of those rules appear to me to be ones which control freak admins would use. I would avoid the site completely if they were that nick picky over things. (Some people may also have played their character(s) on different boards and sites or intended to, but left because it didn't fit their requirements, but the profiles are still there. I've done that quite a few times on panfandom sites but found that there wasn't anyone in the Tolkien fandom to write with, so just because the same character is on different boards and sites, it doesn't mean that they've been plagiarized or copied.)

I did once consider joining a site which implied that people required 'training' to rp - I thought that was a bit much, but it was a shame because I like the fandoms that it did - if they relaxed things a bit more they might attract more members. (They also had other rules which I thought were a bit over the top as well so I decided that it seemed more like it was work, or studying than something which I'd do for fun.)

• I read this! 1

2 minutes ago, Icewolf said:

Most of those rules appear to me to be ones which control freak admins would use. I would avoid the site completely if they were that nick picky over things. 

You are not wrong. I had a co-admin at the time who was far more controlling than I realised. 

But a fair lot of those were also carried over from boards I'd played on previously---and they were the "done thing" at the time. The community has relaxed a lot in fifteen years. XD

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black