Unpopular opinions

Frizbee

On 5/23/2018 at 3:12 AM, Crystalfrost said:

I don't know if it's necessarily an unpopular opinion (it's probably pretty split down the middle), but I tend to have a deep-seated dislike of canon sites that I can't quite shake. Even if the RP is based on a fandom, I don't like canon characters. I want to RP in that world, not with the characters. Not to mention that most of the time there are canons that are "highly desired," and playing them makes you some kind of special snowflake.

It's not always like that, but there's just something that bugs me about canons in general. I like my OCs.

Oh man, I feel this. I've tried to get into one or two DAI sites in the past (they're long dead) and it seemed as though everyone worshiped the members who played the main canon characters from the series & wanted to focus on their ships, thus kinda ignoring all the great OC characters, which was pretty off-putting.

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

16 hours ago, Markedrpg said:

My unpopular opinion most definitely is that you don't need an advertising forum. We don't have one and do well without it. It took hating them just enough to kick off our forum without them. And we have not regretted it. 

We don't bother either. I do all our advertising via resource forums and we never seem to struggle for it! It just seems so cluttered and I hate seeing the board posts jump up only to realize it's not actually board content.

• Love 1

IKiE2z.png

SUPER unpopular opinion, but I get instantly wary of anyone who rants about people who take RP too seriously. In my mind that's a warning bell that says 'oh, you've hurt people and gotten mad at them before, haven't you?' I know not everyone is like that probably but still. 😕 Sadface.

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

Relationship dramas are boring.

I mean if something happens it happens (and I should still remain true to my character's ideals and such), but I'm not plotting that sort of thing out because 😴

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

3 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

Relationship dramas are boring.

I mean if something happens it happens (and I should still remain true to my character's ideals and such), but I'm not plotting that sort of thing out because 😴

This. If there's nothing but drama in a relationship, sooner or later, the only logical reaction (both OOC and IC) is going to be to cut losses and go. 

• Agree 2
  • Love 1

Not sure if this is really an unpopular opinion, but I just simply cannot understand the appeal of using Celebrity/IRL faceclaims. I mean, why would you want to write in a fantastical setting only to use the face of someone you see in real life?! There's plenty of art out their for basically any genre you can think of.

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 2

mFOWUnt.png
HOME | LINK BACK | PLOT

It's been seven hundred years since a great plague has swept the galaxy, devastating the Jedi and Sith and leaving civilization in ruins. From these ashes, three fledgling empires have arisen, resilient and powerful; the Corellians, the Hutts, and the Mandalorians. Will you pick a side and lead your people to glory? Or will you lurk in the shadows, bent on nothing but your own goals? Step into the Dark Age and carve your name into the stars.

rJP1Oql.png
PLOT|RULES|WORLD|BEGINNER'S GUIDE |RACES |WANTED ADS|ADS AND AFFILIATES

• 2 weeks later...

Post templates.  I suck at coding, and end up needing help with them, and that turns me off when a site requires it.  Why isn't my post the important thing, rather than the frame it's in?  

Sites that have preferred playbys for character ads.  I'll see ads for a sibling or lover and a preferred face for them.  I would think someone that roughly fits a description(tall, red hair, has beard) would be more appropriate.

Sites with no consequences for missed activity checks/vanishing members.  

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

9 hours ago, Paulpatine said:

Sites that have preferred playbys for character ads.  I'll see ads for a sibling or lover and a preferred face for them.  I would think someone that roughly fits a description(tall, red hair, has beard) would be more appropriate. 

I include a face if I have one, but am almost always (exceptions being twins or "the face you prefer sends me into an irrational rage) am happy to have you go with someone else with a similar feel and/or look! I have seen boards, though, that will allow you to reserve a face for your want ad which makes me 😑 because why should a character that may never exist take priority over the one I want to make RIGHT NOW? >.>

• Agree 1

IKiE2z.png

On 10/12/2017 at 3:03 AM, Frankerz said:

Actually unpopular?  I hate Discord.  Everywhere I've been (shit, even Reddit) loves Discord, but I hate hate hate it.  I'm not even 100% sure why, it's just... too much.  And when on an Rp forum, I feel like it often serves to distract people from doing their replies.  A Cbox (without a notification noise or whatever, just the old school ones) is passive, provides a place for chatting, and is far less likely to draw attention away from writing than what basically amounts to chatroom thingy.  I dunno, I'm old and cantankerous.

That is exactly the same unpopular opinion I have. I feel exactly the same about it. Though I really seem to be heavily in the minority on this one these days.  I find it very distracting from actual role playing and replying. And feel it leans more into becoming an ooc popularity contest.  Personally I rp to get away from real life, so I just hate ooc chats and chatting in general. I want to focus on being my character or character(s), not spend more time being dragged into ooc discussions.

ICC's on the other hand though I do not mind so much. As at least it is roleplaying and does contribute  to character portrayal. 

49 minutes ago, Rune said:

Apparently an unpopular opinion: I like word counts.

Not gonna lie, I like them too. Of course, within the realm of reasonable (as in, not 800 words per post). I feel like it makes me challenge myself a little and that I won't write a detailed post to get a one-liner.

• Preach it! 2

Shady McShaderson

Ditto on too much emoting in the cbox. Also dislike an over abundance of "less than three" hearts. ... <3<3<3<3 ...Ugh. Just visual clutter.

Here's apparently a super unpopular opinion: I absolutely love stat and dice systems in play by post RP. Absolutely love everything about a good table-top style system.

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

I'm actually a monster - if someone is constantly talking in the cbox/discord with terrible grammar, zero punctuation, no capitalisation then I will go out of my way to avoid them ICly. I realise that people are on their phones a lot, but seriously, it's not that hard to use mostly correct spelling/grammar/punctuation on your phone. Do we all make mistakes? Of course, and I'm not going to jump down anyone's throat about a typo or five, but when it seems like someone is so lazy in their communication that they can't be bothered with the proper conventions of the language, then I can't be bothered posting with them.

Another unpopular opinion - I love Discord for communicating with my friends/plotting with people, but when I admin'd before, having to constantly be present in the Discord server was a huge source of stress for me. It made me feel that I could never ever take any downtime away from my board. If I ever run another board again, I'll definitely heavily reconsider having a site Discord just for my own sanity.

• Preach it! 2