Sitewide vs Personal Wanteds

Kaycakes

I asked this elsewhere, but wanted to get more bang for the buck.

I'm curious to know how y'all choose what goes into the sitewide wanteds and what goes into the personal wanteds. I'm guessing it's a lot easier for those of you who have canons based on fandoms. It's a fair assumption, I think, but please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm very curious. The site I run isn't based on anything but historical events.

My staff and I were debating on this a few nights ago, because we seem to have blurred the lines and gotten confused over what is defined as sitewide and personal on our own site and for posting our own personal ads out on directory resources as staff members. I'm working on streamlining the process better since our site has sprouted large groups apart from the historical BEIC and native groups that we consider canon. The problem, I think, is that we over complicated things.

So, to simplify matters, we tried to distill the process down to these scenarios.
Do we define a site wide by: 1) By the group they are in by forum (BEIC, native, etc) 2) The group they are in by world built creation 3) Roles 4) Any combo of 1-3.

I know for sure that personal is what it says... personal. So personal plots, personal wanted family members / friends, etc. I consider some of the groups to be personal smaller groups, but those are considered by others to be potentially part of the site wide wanted.

So, hit me with it. As a staff member:
What goes into your site wide wanteds across the directory resources?
What goes into your personal wanteds across the directory resources?
Have you ever experienced too much blurring between your own sitewide and personal wanteds?

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

Ouuu! I love these! Pre-mades and site wides!

• What goes into your site wide wanteds across the directory resources? This would be characters important to a plot or positions that are important to the site specifically. They may have characters that they are related/relationed with on the site already existing but they specifically fill a need or role.
  • What goes into your personal wanteds across the directory resources? These are the people I want for me, myself and I. This can include any number of possibilities (I actually love when it's siblings, romantic shit or whatever) but these are the character I want for little ol' me.
  • Have you ever experienced too much blurring between your own sitewide and personal wanteds? Normally, only when I administrate the site or I am running one of the sitewide wanted ads. Often because site-wide wanted ads have some sort of relation between one another for intrigue otherwise why would they matter?
  • I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Morr summed this up nicely.

Site-wide wanteds are ones that help balance, important plots, canons, etc. They fill a role for the site, not just a specific character/player. They exist to help the site's plot function.

Personal wanted ads are ones for individual characters/people. 

The two can blur and I don't think that's too much of a problem, so long as every single site-wide isn't also a personal and vice versa.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

I define a site wide wanted ad as either being for a character that is canon (if it's a fandom setting, or an original one where the game creator has a set of characters for certain roles, if that makes sense.) A personal wanted ad to me would be characters that are needed as family members, friends, etc, for an original character that they've created. I can see them getting blurred, though because if you take a canon character, you might also need people to play their canon family members and they are needed on a site wide level and on a personal level.

• I read this! 1

• 2 weeks later...

What goes into your site wide wanteds across the directory resources?
     So you see my reaction to *site-wide* wanted and *canons* are similar. And from the posts, it seems we all agree in some form and fashion. But to me:

Canons in historical sites are the true characters of history... without much deviation

Canons in AU, fantasy, and historical AU are those beings or entities, or even *factors* that govern, manage, or are prime figures in the overall site, particular in roleplaying or a game.

In my particular sites, one which is historical AU and the other is Low Fantasy, both have *canons* which are the PRIME entities to what the story is about. In fairness, I (nor my co-admins) cannot portray (or play) all the main characters, so we offer up *canon*s to members.

What goes into your personal wanteds across the directory resources?
     Now as far as *personal wanteds*, those are entities (or characters) that I, me the player, not the admin, wishes to have someone else play and/or write with... We all have the ability to create, manage, and play many characters... but then we would just be *playing with ourselves*... so personal wanted are entities that WE individually wish to have in OUR story.

Have you ever experienced too much blurring between your own sitewide and personal wanteds?

experienced? Yes... Worried about it? Hardly... why? Because even the smallest story between individuals are an important part of the amalgamated story. We cannot expect (well we can, but not advisable) *everyone* to write toward the Main plot... folks would get bored without individual stories... or *thread-offs*  As logn as everyone knows the plot, and the admins or mods move the story along either by date season or site-wide threads, what difference does it matter if there are blurring of site-wide and personal wanteds...

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

“Write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it;

Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it.”

Playerfiles_88x31_icon1.png   

My Personal Site for Roleplaying

gif_LRS_series_88x31.gif ~ 88x31_CdM_RPG_Logo1.jpg ~ sohp_button1_88x31.gif

All three (3) are unique, and inclusive Play-by-Post (P-b-P), 18+, roleplaying communities on Jcink Premium dedicated to the ahistorical fiction of the French Empire during the Napoleonic Era, the Old West Wyoming Territory circa 1872, and the Venetian Empire in the 16th century.  Our emphasis is on welcoming a diverse group of participants, regardless of their background or experience level, with the intent to foster a friendly and enjoyable roleplaying environment by considering ourselves a “work-favorable” group with a "hobby-based" approach to RP with No Word Counts, No Activity Checks, and Easy Applications (or IC Account Profiles). And we encourage members to create diverse characters from different backgrounds, cultures, and social status, enabling a rich and dynamic storytelling environment. ((Our ahistorical fiction forums, are where we deviate from history, even to the disregard of historical facts; with our way being contrary to the perceived idea that the historical genre is non-inclusive and limiting to minority groups and women. ))