A Survey: are play-bys essential?

featherstone

• Love 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

I don't truly mind one way or the other. I'd be apt to use a nature photo that represented a character or a place than scrolling through stock images to find what I wanted... I'm in it for the writing. Not graphics/images/etc so if a site has the writing I wanted to do, I would still join in no matter what the pb rules were.

I don't like being FORCED to use any one particular visual representation over another. Whenever I join a site, I want to see that I as the character creator have sole control over what I want said character to look like.

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I am a very visual person, so I like having something there for a visual reference for the character, but I don't much care what that reference is (be it a celb photo, stock photo or art). Unless you're in a genre where it makes sense or your site has a style that's art only I do think it would be a little weird to not allow celebrity face claims while still allowing the use of things like stock photos.

That said, you should probably go ahead and build your site and it's rules based on what you want most. That way you're going to build the player base that best fits you and your style, which is what I feel any admin should want most. 

Side note: Man, there are some SERIOUSLY judgmental posts in this here thread. It's kind of gross, tbh.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

Oh man, @Pancakes.  I thought people were being pretty tame. XD  I guess it's perspective and all that.

I've actually found it fascinating reading about people's approaches to whether or not they use PBs.  Obviously I don't agree with everyone (or I'll agree with bits and pieces but not the whole), but it's enlightening to learn why people do the things they do.  Especially the whole "RPing is just writing" vs. "RPing includes many mediums" thing.  It's not something I've given too much thought to in the past.

Sometimes we take things for granted that because we don't realize that people have vastly different expectations and reasons for doing things.

• I read this! 4
  • Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

I can use them or go without, it depends on the site every time.. but I/m too lazy to make matching sets of pics xDD. mostly because I only really need the avatar.

I don't understand the -need- for it, either. I can't take things seriously when a player has a sook over missing out, like their world just ended. Disappointment is one thing; calling the game crap and blacklisting it over the PBs, what the? I could use in-proportions animanga and cartoons, not the dbz exaggerated styles, same for celebs with over the top clothing and photpshopped perfect bodies.

• I read this! 1

• Admin
On 11/5/2017 at 9:00 PM, Pancakes said:

Side note: Man, there are some SERIOUSLY judgmental posts in this here thread. It's kind of gross, tbh.

We allow people to express their opinion. If you find something that you feel is inappropriate you are free to report the post and the staff will review it.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

If I am really into the rp, I honestly dgaf about face claims. While I prefer having celebrity claims just for ease, they're not a necessity for me! I honestly just use them for appearance - their skin/hair/expression/shebang is an accurate picture of my character and that's it. They're a more recent addition to my rp repertoire if I look back on my history and they're definitely something I'm used to now and have come to rely on. But if I find a bombass rp that doesn't use them, it's not going to turn me off. There's definitely an audience out there for your game if you're willing to put in the work to find it. And I think if you can setup your game in a way where it's not reliant on images, it's not a problem.

On 11/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, VirusZero said:

I know people say they can't draw or whatever but the medium is about writing. Not about drawing or taking pictures or photoshopping things. So to spend so much time on playbys, and not writing, seems to me to defeat the point a bit to me.

This is the truest comment I've seen in this whole thread about this topic. Seriously, what's the point if we're not going to write about our characters? Current trends rely on inner thought processes and rationalizations and whatnot, but they should also be focusing on actions and quirks and idiosyncrasies. @Morrigan mentioned a bit about people not writing demeanors/mannerisms into their posts, too, which leads to a sort of fancasting situation to make up for the lack of it. That's just lazy writing?! If you're forcing your reader to pick an actor to portray the character you're writing, you're...not a good writer. You should be able to paint a full and accurate picture of what's happening with your words. Otherwise what is the point of rp?

But onto the point of copyrights, you most likely won't get sued outright for using a copyrighted picture in the US. You'll be sent like a cease and desist if your contact information is readily available, and then if you don't take down the image within the allotted time, more action will be taken. It's only happened to one rp site that I'm aware of, and this was way back in the day for using copyrighted images of a minor. They took it down and nothing else happened.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

We allow people to express their opinion. If you find something that you feel is inappropriate you are free to report the post and the staff will review it.

Eh, it's not inappropriate so much as... off-putting. Like there is a way to express an opinion without sounding like you're passing negative judgments on people so some of it feels really unnecessary, but that's not really the same thing as inappropriate.

-shurg-

I guess with most RP preference issues like these I'm guess very much

hadvzAtL_o.jpg

and when I see someone practically raging against something as trivial other people's preferences because they don't match their own it's all a bit

rT7z42fl_o.jpg

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 3

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

It's most likely due to how emotional intent is ill-conveyed through words. No matter how careful somebody is with wording, the person reading it is still going to read it in the voice of their own personal reception instead.

I've noticed that a lot of times, when people "rage" an opinion it's because they're trying to clarify/explain the little nuances that define the opinion and just aren't really adept at doing so without coming across arguably strongly. 

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • I read this! 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg