We've got a bun in the oven--- solved

Bamf

Hello Initiative Fam!

Been a minute since I posted a thread. And well, not only was it about time- but I got a thing going on. 

Mind you, I'm not against pregnancy plots- though I've never done one. And I hate being a plot killer, but I got a bit of dilemma. 

I have a member who wants to do a pregnancy plot, the outcome being a baby. We are a 3-3-3 site, DC Canons Only (We'll get that right out of the way). We've been pretty strict on aging up character just due to the explicit nature of the site, and unfortunately we had problems in the past, so we are probably a bit more strict on it than most sites based on experiences. Back to the point. 

We don't allow OCs, so creating a character, even a baby is out of the question. Also using a playable character and making them a baby for two characters that aren't canon-wise the parents, is also a bit too much for the site. This is the first time this has been an issue and the first time pregnancy has been brought up.

Any one have any suggests on rules or guidelines for pregnancy plots? Or any of their own experience in this department? I would love to hear! And I'll update this, as staff is still attempting to make a decision of how we should proceed. 

Thank you!

<3 BAMF

Edited by Bamf

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

I had never considered this question about canon only rps! I completely get how it would be breaking the spirit of a canon site to have a non-canon baby, but I also think it would be a bit of a bummer to not allow any non-canon pregnancies on board. My personal opinion? Make it clear that the baby would be an NPC and always an NPC (which, if your site moves in RL time shouldn't really be a problem for a while) and, if the players are okay with it, let them have their baby plot. It seems to me that deciding that only canon pregnancies are allowed would take a good bit of interest from playing non-canon pairings, and that some players might find themselves having to write around the question whenever ICly it would make sense to get characters pregnant. 

Of course, I only skimmed a bit through your site and don't really know much about how it works and what the community interests are. If your site is all about canon, then just let the players know they should pick up a character who is canonly a parent if they want a baby plot. Ultimately, you're the one who knows best what's important for your site!

Edited by Stat
  • I read this! 3

• Admin

While the site may be canon the story likely isn't so I don't see it as a problem personally.

I love pregnancy plots because there are a lot of complications that come with pregnancies depending on the setting and the characters and the situation. So really it depends. I think some people misinterpret how much babies affect characters but really overall I don't think they are a bad thing. Let those people deal with the outcome as long as it's mutual between characters (not someone that wants to do a "Surprise pregnancy" to an unsuspecting alternate player then have at it.

• I read this! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I'm with the other people here, I don't think it would be an issue -- babies are so little for so long, and while they have personalities from the get-go, as long as the players are fine with it being an NPC... I mean -- it's going to be like Superboy having Krypto. 

I think that for a lot of characters, babies/pregnancy plots can be really cool and very interesting (and important if the characters are the family type; I mean, irl, people break up because of infertility problems and partners not seeing eye-to-eye on having children, so it's a very realistic plot for certain characters). Like Morrigan said, the characters are canon, but the plots are not, so it seems like... if it organically works in the story line of the plot, and the baby is an NPC... it wouldn't be a problem, so far as I can see. 

I assume that people could adopt/be gifted non-canon pets, if the plot steered that way; so why not tiny humans?

• I read this! 4
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Thanks guys!

I think we are going to allow it. I guess maybe my main issue is guidelines/rules for pregnancy plots- that's really the major thing. How do I know if it's being disruptive? How do I help guide my member to being able to do their plot while still making sure it doesn't blow up my site (I'm being a little dramatic- but I think you all know what I mean :) ) I have never done a pregnancy plot or really been on a site that really had any, so it's jsut foreign to me. Just kind of how it rolled. I'm not against pregnancy plots- never thought about them or had the opportunity.  I guess i didn't expect anyone to make any babies- as we don't allow OCs. And yes we've allowed people to NPC Canon pets and non-canon pets. So, I agree it's really no different. We even had some apply to play a planet (Mogo- a Green Lantern.) The pregnancy thing hasn't come up at all whether canon or not. This member talked about it once, left the site and recent came back. So, bad on me for not doing some research into before they returned. (Slaps herself for being a bad Admin).

Lol at least we will have a GAM baby :)

• I read this! 1

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

On my site there had been several pregnancy plots. The only rule we had was that pregnancies cannot be sped up. It takes 9 story months - or 7 if the baby is premature. Pregnancies exist in real life, and it is interesting to be explored in stories too. Especially that some people cannot have children, and their only way to experience a pregnancy is by writing it (or are not ready for children yet and for some years to come, and writing about a pregnancy is a good way to explore it). 

I have a character who has a 6 months baby now (and she is still dealing with post-partum depression) and another who is pregnant in about 5 months. I have several baby fathers too. 

Surprise pregnancy plots did not happen, but I would not be against them. It happens in real life too. As long as the reaction is realistic (someone who just learnt he has a baby from a one night stand would not be expected to actually care for the baby and the mother would be a single parent), it is OK.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

To me you kinda answered this question right out of the gate... If your rules say you don't allow original characters and you can't age down another canon to fit here then you're left at 2 possible options:

- the plot can't happen (outright denial).

- the plot can happen but the result could not be in that child surviving the pregnancy (plot modification). 

So now if you want to allow this original character to be born on your site, you'd need to remove the canon only label (because it isn't anymore). And at least consider whether you should open it up for everyone so original characters can be created. If you don't want to allow that then kinda left with the only option of not allowing that pregnancy plot to end with a child being born.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

On 11/5/2017 at 2:09 AM, Bamf said:

I guess maybe my main issue is guidelines/rules for pregnancy plots- that's really the major thing. How do I know if it's being disruptive? How do I help guide my member to being able to do their plot while still making sure it doesn't blow up my site (I'm being a little dramatic- but I think you all know what I mean :) ) I have never done a pregnancy plot or really been on a site that really had any, so it's jsut foreign to me.

I can't tell if this was a real question being posed that you want advice/discussion on or if this was rhetotorical. O.O;

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I don;t understand why a pregnant character or a baby father would be disruptive to the site. It's just a side plot, for God's sake! All the other plots can carry on.

I had never wondered about rules or limitations. There are sites where pregnancies are very frequent and they still don't disrupt anything, and sites where it is just 1-2 during the whole life of the site. Why regulate them? (Except, again, bunny case, eg pregnancies miraculously lasting less than 7 story months).

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

baby cables

I'm dying! Holy sweet balls of hilarity.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

c3de9ea2d9b442bcc77d7a2196173e5a.jpg

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

Okay. I'll just list it out because it's a littler easier for me. 

1. I know that other sites have had policies on pregnancy. I'm wondering what is other people's experience? What are things that have worked for you? Things that didn't work? Are there things I should look out for? Is there advice I can give that will assist the writer in making the plot work for the site and themselves? 

2. NPC- yes the site does allow people to make non-super-powered OC NPCs, nothing long term and regular everyday humans- no super-powered OC NPCs.  

3. Why would an OC baby be a potential issue? We are a DC site, meaning super powered beings. For example, this isn't Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon having a baby that would be human without super powers- this is two superpowered beings.  Granted the member could be planning just some simple side plot, but superpowers can get tricky.

And everyone has made great points.  I appreciate it. I'm just trying to make the best decision for the member and the site.

Why am I fretting? I'm a first time admin. I've never done pregnancy plots (I've literally been role playing for a year and eight months). I've only recently been on sites that allows OCs- basically I'm the new kid on the block in regards to this entirely. None of this is meant as a personal attack or meant to demean the member or their plot (or anyone who does these kinds of plots).  I"m just a newbie really trying her best to be fair and learn as much as I can. 

Thanks.

Edited by Bamf
  • I read this! 2

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

On 11/5/2017 at 1:40 PM, VirusZero said:

So now if you want to allow this original character to be born on your site, you'd need to remove the canon only label (because it isn't anymore). And at least consider whether you should open it up for everyone so original characters can be created. If you don't want to allow that then kinda left with the only option of not allowing that pregnancy plot to end with a child being born.

I actually don't agree with this! If this baby is just being NPC'd, does it really count as an OC? This baby won't have its own application process or posting account. It's not considered an active character that someone can take up. As long as that's understood, I don't think you'd need to remove that canon only label. This whole pregnancy parenting plot is just a small side plot among many. As long as you make your expectations clear from the beginning, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, I can see this as opening a can of worms you may not want to deal with. It would be easier to just say no sorry non-canon children are against policy or whatever. And that's fine too - you totally have a right to say that if you want! There are plenty of other sites they can play out that plot on. 

As for some rules, keep them simple. It sounds like your main concern is the super powers. So make it a stipulation that any non-canon kids can't have powers. Super powers are tricky, so just eliminate the possibility. Problem solved.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

• Admin
  1. I hate policies on pregnancy. They are normally spawned when administrators think there are too many people that have pregnant characters. It's another form of micromanagement that is unnecessary. Really if the players look forward to the potential why stifle that level of creativity.
  2. This sounds more like a statement then a question. If you're asking if suddenly allowing for a long term NPC that is an OC is a bad thing. I don't see how having a long term NPC is bad at all. I mean regulars to bars aren't going to meet different bartenders all the time so that is a long term relationship even if its not mentioned every five seconds.
  3. Still don't see an issue. Even if the baby had super powers MOST superpowers would technically not really show up until later years (depending on the powers of course). I mean if that's the biggest concern then leave it to Sage's suggestion. Baby is powerless.
  • I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png