Can someone post too fast?

Quell

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on this? You do a post... How long do you want to/have to wait before that new reply arrives from your partner? Does someone immediately replying put you on edge, or do they just have to wait however long until you reply again? Does it matter more about platform or board than about speed?

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I will confess that my partner posting right away does give me a mini-freakout. I'm not a rapid-fire poster by any means, so I'll start wondering if I forgot to tell them that, or if they assume I'll post right away because they did, or this or that... So I would say I like my partner to wait for at least 24 hours before posting. If they don't, though, it's not a big deal, I'll just poke them and see what their expectations are, as sometimes I will reply on the same day, if they catch me on a moment of my writing cycle when I'm on that site (I keep a site order to avoid being unfair) or have no other posts to reply to.

• I read this! 3

Shady McShaderson

The same like @SithLordOfSnark. I am not doing rapid fire, but if they have time and post quick, it is way better than waiting for one month...

• I read this! 3

In group RPs? Hell yes. My boyfriend and my best friend got into a posting battle, and they racked up 10+ new posts in about two hours. Had it been a smaller RP, it would have been magnificent. I mean, it was still magnificent, but it also annoyed the rest of the group.

• I read this! 2

Glub glub.

I had such a problem with this.

For one reason or another, I'm an incredibly fast poster when I want to be.  Not a rapid-fire poster, or someone who throws out one-liners.  I mean that I can write a full post within the span of 10-15 minutes (sometimes shorter) and slam it up on the board.

The problem came about because I expected others to do the same.  For years, others did this, too.  Maybe not as fast as me, but we could get a couple posts in each day.  But then I reached a place where people just . . . didn't post this fast.  But I didn't get it, so I'd sit there breathing down their necks waiting for them to post.  And nobody ever told me, "Hey, I'm a slower poster.  Expect a post every 2 days."  So I'd be like, "Hey!  I posted!  Yay!  Post for me!" Which would drive the other person insane, but the other person was trying to be polite and would just be like "Yeah, sure."  And then wouldn't post for awhile.  Then they'd stress out or whatever, and I'd be left meandering and impatiently wondering when they'd post.

Crazy.

Over the years, I've found that it's so incredibly useful to set expectations to avoid issues like this.  I've also slowed down a little because I realize now that it makes people uncomfortable when they take three days to make a post and all of a sudden I've replied 10 minutes later.  It doesn't allow them much time to feel a sense of accomplishment for their posts.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

Like others here, as long as my partner doesn't expect me to reply immediately then I'm fine with being immediately tagged back. That said, it gets frustrating when you're trying to catch up on posts and you think you've finally reached your goal for the day or you're finally caught up... and then you see that little notification. 

I have a few partners who actually ask me beforehand if it's okay that they post back immediately, and sometimes I say go for it, but others I ask them to hold it off - which I offer them sometimes too. With a few people, I specifically hold off replying to them because they're fine with me replying late, and they'd also rather be caught up at the time. The other month, a person tagged me in seven posts in one day, and I haven't replied yet since I've been busy and they don't want to be flooded back either. It works pretty well.

With newer members, I worry that not replying promptly will result in them not wanting to write with me any more, because most new members are of course eager for posts and settling in, and don't have 10+ characters to distract themselves on.

• I read this! 2

It makes me anxious but so does everything else. As long as my partner understands I won't be as quick I'm cool with it. Gives me something to read at work and get excited about!

Though I try to stay on top of it with new members until they get more threads... Then they can suffer like the rest of us.

With the trying to catch up thing... CW has made it a game. If anyone mentions being close to caught up they usually become the person everyone rushes to tag. You know, to keep them in line. Can't have those egos getting too big.

• I read this! 3
  • LOL 3

1x1 threads, I don't really care if somebody is quick. Sometimes I'll be around long enough in order to knock out 5 rounds with my thread partner in one sitting; other times it'll take me 3 days to get to 1 post because of either work or my child. I do enjoy when my thread partner gets a post in before I leave though - this way I can "sleep" on a good reply. 

When it comes to multiple people in the same thread, I usually request that person A allow 24hrs(ish) for persons B, C, and D to post before posting again. This way, if person's A, B, and C post within 3 hours of each other, if D misses the 24 hour mark that's still only 3-6 posts rather than 3-6 pages to catch up on. 

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Operations Mod

I primarily stick to 1x1 posting so as far as I'm concerned, the quicker my partner can post the better. When I rp, I'm looking for plot progression. I have a good imagination, so I don't need a lot of fluffy detail in posts; I don't care what color the drapes are, I can fill those blanks in for myself - character introspection and mannerisms are what interest me most. 

Slower paced threads are alright. I don't mind waiting even when I reply quickly. However, if I know I'm always going to be waiting 2 weeks to a month for a reply in a certain thread, but have other partners that reply faster, I'm eventually just going to abandon the initial thread unless it involves a very stimulating character pairing and/or run of events. Even then, if it gets to six months and there's only been 6 posts each between the two of us and the plot has gone literally nowhere... I'm probably going to call it quits.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 2

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

You good I forgot about group threads. I try to stick to 1x1 because group to well for me. 

But yes, in that situation you can. Give others some time to get a post out. Dinner people work full time or have other responsibilities. Skipping over them and taking over a thread is just rude. 

It depends on several things, really.

If I'm in a chat style rp, then I (usually) expect there to be lots of one-liners, short replies of a few sentences, etc. If the chat style rp is also a group one, then I expect it to be faster than one x one (and the group ones can sometimes get stressful because people post quickly and out of turn, miss acknowledging people in the group, don't tag everyone, etc - with the latter it's stressful because you don't know if they just forgot you (which is fine), or purposefully leaving you out of it.)

On a forum, or a platform where I expect longer posts, I expect a slower pace, but I don't like it too slow. A couple of replies a week is enough. Would it worry me if people replied straight after I posted? Probably not, as long as they understand that I don't have to post straight away. I was in a situation once where someone got mad because I was replying to rps I needed to reply to on other accounts, and not on the one they wanted me on. I wasn't able to get around to them. The day after, I had an awful headache and didn't make the post because I wanted to make it as good as I could get it, rather than bash out rubbish, and they weren't happy about that. My own speed of reply is dependent on health, (or other personal matters) so if I'm having a good week I can do lots of replies that week. If it's not, then I don't reply until I'm better. One thing which I try to avoid is replying to some people and not others during a bad week because I don't like it when I am waiting for a reply and people skip over me so I don't want to do that to other people if I can avoid it.

• I read this! 2

10 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

I have no qualms about posting speed, as long as my partner is aware that I won't be posting back immediately.

Pretty much what it comes down to for me.

As long as there's no expectation that I'm going to be matching your turn around unless we both decided that day that we're going to hammer out a billion posts, I'm not really going to care just how fast they're posting.

• I read this! 3

Eh, I post when I post at the speed I can. Sometimes that's fast, sometimes it's not. I don't much care how quickly my partner posts and if my speed bothers them, I find that those things will work themselves out naturally by that writer gravitating away from new threads with me. I'm not bovvered either way.

• I read this! 2

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

I'm admittedly a slow poster - but it's usually because I'm in a billion threads and have a ton of other replies to get to before I come back around to a certain thread. So I can post several times a day...but it's rarely in the same thread. Whoops. That said, if someone hits me back right after I reply, that's awesome dude! I have realized I will never ever be caught up on replies, so I don't stress about it. I have 12 piled up right now and that's actually pretty low for me.

I envy the people that can get a reply up that fast, because I usually take time to type out my replies just so. I want to be on that level. So as long as my partner is ok with waiting, or we have other threads I'm replying to to keep them busy, hit me back baby! Keep me buried. I'm always drowning.

• I read this! 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I don't mind unless my partner starts nudging me and getting antsy, mad at my speed.. everyone is different D:

• I read this! 2