Can someone post too fast?

Quell

My only problems with quick replies are if they're trying so hard to be fast their quality goes to crap (mixing up details, forgetting things already established in the thead/log, more typoes than normal for them, etc), and if they pressure me to reply back right away and I tell them I'm juggling multiple things. I can enjoy rapid fire when I have time (and because I tag from mobile, anything from the bus to dinner can set me up for it), but if I'm in the middle of something? I'll get back to you when I can.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• Admin

I prefer it. The faster the reply the faster I can reply. This doesn't matter whether it's in group threads or in 1x1. Actually group threads seem to kill me because they are so slow and sometimes too chatty with too much detail because then there is a lot more to reply to and it gets messy really easily and I lose interest more readily.

I'll be honest if I sometimes can't get a group thread done within 1-3 days it becomes an annoying chore.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I try to get posts out as quickly as possible. Though sometimes there might be a few days to wait. Work, school and life. I don't have a problem with rapid reply and will engage if I have the time and capacity to. Though, that isn't very often. 

• I read this! 2

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png

Is it possible? Yeah... it is. But I'd argue that it's not really for the reason one might suppose. I mean if a post is churned out in 3 minutes but is utterly illegible then I'd call that too fast. (I mean no punctuation, sentences that end midway through, words jumbled together, not even a cursory attempt to spell check, etc...) However even a post that took an hour to write could be put out too fast if the same issues apply there also. 

But other than that, if a person can write a decently coherent post that has at least elementary level syntax usage... Cool. 

Edited by VirusZero
  • I read this! 3
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I don't have a problem with RP partners that can get up posts super quick, so long as they don't expect me to reply back as quickly. Sometimes I can get out a full post in half an hour, but other times it can take me a few hours or days depending entirely on my offline schedule/health. Plus there are some days where I just can't type quickly, or where I can't do the word thing in my brain.

Sometimes @Achera and I can crank out posts in one of our threads super fast, while other times we wait days or weeks for responses in that very same thread. And I'm fine with that. I have other threads where I can be waiting up to a month for a reply, and I'm cool with that.

• I read this! 4

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

The general answer is no. People cannot post too fast.

As individuals however, it is possible that we might end up with a writing partner whose pace is too fast for our liking.

Personally, I only feel like people are replying to me too quickly if I'm getting tags while I'm trying to finish a mountain of other tags (I usually do at least one reply in each thread I am in a day). It feels overwhelming at times, just because I want to be done with owing tags for five damn seconds! But I solve this easily by opening every thread I owe a tag to in a separate tab, and then posting them all at once once I've written them. Then, people can reply however quickly they want without it bothering me!

I am aware of some individuals and some RP cultures where it's considered rude, though, to reply right away, because the idea is that no thought was put into the reply made to the post you've just given them. I don't personally feel that way, and I personally find that idea to be pretentious.

• I read this! 5
  • Great Idea 1
  • Preach it! 1

That's what I do sometimes . . . Open a Microsoft word document and write a bunch of replies, then post them all at once.

• I read this! 4

WoL___dark01.png

27 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

That's what I do sometimes . . . Open a Microsoft word document and write a bunch of replies, then post them all at once.

I do this too. Or in google docs. It makes me less... itchy I suppose is a good enough word. 

• I read this! 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BETA BLUE

It depends on the thread and what we are doing for it. Last night a co-admin and I just worked on her post count, so we need a few rapid-fire posts to help bring up to date since she was sick and had family in town.  As for the regular postings, I pretty much wait a few days, but if it's a really really good story that I'm adoring like way too much or a canon I have been dying to rp with, I post faster.

Sunny: I tend to post very fast - I write replies within 5 - 10 minutes, but the time it takes me to sit down and write that fast varies.  Sometimes I'll reply immediately, sometimes I'll reply within a few days or a week.  I don't mind when my roleplay partner replies quickly, though - makes it fun, and speeds things along!

• I read this! 1

Souls_400x100_01.jpg

'souls | no wc | character-driven | werecanines | open & active since 2001!

I don't really get post anxiety as far as speed goes. If I have a lot of threads going on, I just assume that people will understand that they are taking a number when they reply to a thread with me. If I am caught up on other posts, or maybe someone is online and we are fired up for a plot, the quicker the better. Quick really depends on the flow though, but I love being able to post rapidly with someone in a plot, and people that rp with me hopefully understand me rapid posting with someone when they are not online. In my opinion, post when you have a post you wanna post. I'll do the same.

Edited by Bass
  • I read this! 1

On 11/6/2017 at 9:03 AM, Shades said:

I will confess that my partner posting right away does give me a mini-freakout. I'm not a rapid-fire poster by any means, so I'll start wondering if I forgot to tell them that, or if they assume I'll post right away because they did, or this or that... So I would say I like my partner to wait for at least 24 hours before posting. If they don't, though, it's not a big deal, I'll just poke them and see what their expectations are, as sometimes I will reply on the same day, if they catch me on a moment of my writing cycle when I'm on that site (I keep a site order to avoid being unfair) or have no other posts to reply to.

Thissssssss. It isn't that i want the player to wait because they will write better if they do, because I have known some freaking amazing authors who can bang out mountains of words in so much talent. Buuuuut I like that it when they wait, I do get a little overwhelmed. And that is a me problem and not then, but one thing I have been asking is that they wait. Going in they know I'm slow. I'm more vocal about it.

There was one thread where my character got skipped a few times by the same people in the same day, and I wouldn't speak up. I'd bottle it up until I exploded and that isn't healthy either. It isn't fair to your partner nor you. So speak up about what your expectations are for sure.

• I read this! 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I absolutely hate leaving my tags hanging. Our site has a preferred tagging timeframe of 48 hours and a maximum timeframe of 1 week. But, our platform is Nova and we rely heavily on joint scenes (posts) for interaction. Whoever is leading the plot, will add storyteller scenes and we do allow some post-by-post writing.

With that said, it's down to communication for me. If someone can't follow our timeframe requirements for one reason or another, all they need to do is tell us when they can reply to tags. The rules are there to keep things moving. As long as I know when they'll move, I don't mind waiting for the replies. I do get antsy when it seems the person I'm writing with is pushing our tagging timeframe rules and not communicating delays to me. We also ask that our players agree on a tagging timeframe from the outset of their thread / JP, etc.

Since Nova is ideal for writing joint posts, no one really has to write a small novel to answer tags. It puts the focus on the characters and the action. We tend to use a storyteller narrative type post to set up the scene.

So, bottom line, I'm a fairly fast poster but if my writing partner is slower, I'm fine with that as long as I know what to expect.

• I read this! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Yes and I know some people who will have a reply about 3 minutes after I post mine that I no longer post with because I post on average once a day per thread since I am on multiple site's and I don't rapid post. I write well thought out responses and normally they are fairly long. If someone replies right away knowing they aren't getting another reply because I still owe other's their daily response it isn't so bad but I find a lot of fast posters also want instant gratification and I have too many stories to tell than just one to post back and fourth with a single person all day. 

• I read this! 2

I don't think so. Speed of posting rarely has anything to do with the quality of post. I've seen some incredible posts that appeared very fast, because the writer was just that inspired that they couldn't slow down. I often hammer out very fast replies for that reason. It just... runs away with me, and I find that to be an awesome feeling.

On the flipside, I have waited days for a post and been a little let down by the content. It always comes back to the end product for me, not how it was produced.

• I read this! 4

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black